Alcohol in the Magic Kingdom

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Honest question to anyone...I've yet to have a sit-down meal in the MK involving alcohol, but would a scenario like the below not be possible?

1) Get seated.
2) Order and receive a round of drinks while looking at the food menu.
3) Commence drinking.
4) Order and receive another round of drinks without yet ordering food because you're still "unsure" what to order.
5) Continue drinking.
6) Rinse and repeat steps 4 and 5 indefinitely until you've "changed your mind" about ordering food, ask and pay for the drink bill, then walk out.

Yes, but it would be easy enough to modify the ordering system to not allow fulfillment of an alcoholic beverage unless a food order was present in the system.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Honest question to anyone...I've yet to have a sit-down meal in the MK involving alcohol, but would a scenario like the below not be possible?

1) Get seated.
2) Order and receive a round of drinks while looking at the food menu.
3) Commence drinking.
4) Order and receive another round of drinks without yet ordering food because you're still "unsure" what to order.
5) Continue drinking.
6) Rinse and repeat steps 4 and 5 indefinitely until you've "changed your mind" about ordering food, ask and pay for the drink bill, then walk out.
I guess it would be possible. You do run the risk of being charged the $25 per head cancelation fee for not using an ADR. At BOG it's not possible to dine without an ADR. The others, maybe more possible. Honestly, I can't see anyone really wanting to do that. You could just go to an actual bar on or off property if you just wanted to drink. If someone just wanted to have drinks at MK for the novelty of it I guess they could try this approach, but it would be a novelty not the norm. Remember that at EPCOT there are actual bars that will just serve you alcohol. That is not the case (at this point) at MK.

21stamps

I guess it would be possible. You do run the risk of being charged the $25 per head cancelation fee for not using an ADR. At BOG it's not possible to dine without an ADR. The others, maybe more possible. Honestly, I can't see anyone really wanting to do that. You could just go to an actual bar on or off property if you just wanted to drink. If someone just wanted to have drinks at MK for the novelty of it I guess they could try this approach, but it would be a novelty not the norm. Remember that at EPCOT there are actual bars that will just serve you alcohol. That is not the case (at this point) at MK.
I don't think it will ever be the case. Not in my lifetime anyway.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Why do people need alcohol when they are at an amusement park? Is alcohol so important to them they have to have an alcoholic beverage with a meal? Alcohol does not belong in the Magic Kingdom nor any park. Yes, I like a drink. Nothing better than a hurricane from Pat O'Brien's on St. Peter's in Bew Orleans. Really, you have to have alcohol served at the Magic Kingdom where Walt didn't want it.
Nobody needs alcohol at MK. Before this change, for anyone who really wanted a glass of wine or beer with dinner it was really easy to go to a restaurant in EPCOT or at the monorail resorts. For a lot of people a glass of wine or beer enhances the dining experience. The beers and wine are paired with the food to match the type of cuisine offered. For example they have French and Belgian beer at BOG which fits with the theme. Tony's will have Italian Beer and wine, etc...It's not just offering plastic cups of Bud Light for people to get drunk.

The Walt thing has been debated to death. He said he didn't want general alcohol sales in Disneyland but then made an exception for a private club that served as a restaurant and bar for members. Walt actually set the precedent himself of making an exception for alcohol served at a sit down restaurant.

MonorailCoral

Yes, but it would be easy enough to modify the ordering system to not allow fulfillment of an alcoholic beverage unless a food order was present in the system.

Makes sense. Appetizers. :D

I guess it would be possible. You do run the risk of being charged the $25 per head cancelation fee for not using an ADR.

But wouldn't you still be fulfilling your ADR, regardless of a food order? You used it, you got seated, you accrued a bill, you paid. :)

At BOG it's not possible to dine without an ADR. The others, maybe more possible. Honestly, I can't see anyone really wanting to do that.

A reservation at the MK to have a couple drinks? Why not? :D

You could just go to an actual bar on or off property if you just wanted to drink.

True, although depending on your trip plans, that may inconveniently require park re-entry and re-screening (I guess the exception being, my understanding, if you use express transportation to another park).

If someone just wanted to have drinks at MK for the novelty of it I guess they could try this approach, but it would be a novelty not the norm. Remember that at EPCOT there are actual bars that will just serve you alcohol. That is not the case (at this point) at MK.

Yep.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
But wouldn't you still be fulfilling your ADR, regardless of a food order? You used it, you got seated, you accrued a bill, you paid. :)

A reservation at the MK to have a couple drinks? Why not? :D
I am not sure how this would work. I know that for BOG they only served beer/wine for dinner not lunch so I would assume you would need to actually order dinner food to get served. I don't think they will allow you to make a reservation and then just order drinks. Not sure how it would get enforced.

Marlins1

Nobody needs alcohol at MK. Before this change, for anyone who really wanted a glass of wine or beer with dinner it was really easy to go to a restaurant in EPCOT or at the monorail resorts. For a lot of people a glass of wine or beer enhances the dining experience. The beers and wine are paired with the food to match the type of cuisine offered. For example they have French and Belgian beer at BOG which fits with the theme. Tony's will have Italian Beer and wine, etc...It's not just offering plastic cups of Bud Light for people to get drunk.

The Walt thing has been debated to death. He said he didn't want general alcohol sales in Disneyland but then made an exception for a private club that served as a restaurant and bar for members. Walt actually set the precedent himself of making an exception for alcohol served at a sit down restaurant.
Great post - this change will barely be noticeable to those that do not participate. I enjoy MK as is but I do view this as an enhancement. A glass of wine with dinner after a few hours in the park will be very enjoyable. Then back to the normal MK fun. No one is going to get drunk under these rules.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
At the end of the day, Walt's not in charge any more.

MonorailCoral

You could do that, but it would be a lot easier to go to, say, Mizner's, grab a round or three, and then hit the monorail to the park.

If you've yet to enter the park, definitely. If you're already in (and especially now in this era of enhanced security), it's become a major pain in the ___ to leave and come back at certain times of the day.

We used to step out in the later afternoon and Monorail over to the CR for a few before re-entering with relative ease, but It'd be a major hassle now. I'd much rather just game their system inside the park instead.

Last edited:

GoofGoof

Premium Member
If you've yet to enter the park, definitely. If you're already in (and especially now in this era of enhanced security), it's become a major pain in the ___ to leave and come back at certain times of the day.

We used to step out in the later afternoon and Monorail over to the CR for a few before re-entering with relative ease, but It'd be a major hassle now. I'd much rather just game their system inside the park instead.
Are the lines for security that bad in the afternoon/evening? I thought that was more of a morning thing.

If enough people start "gaming the system" by taking up a table at dinner time and only ordering drinks I would guess Disney will act quickly to put a stop to that. The whole point of this change for Disney is to make more money. Even though drinks have a nice markup they still want to sell the overpriced food too.

MonorailCoral

Are the lines for security that bad in the afternoon/evening?

Sure, lots of hoppers and re-entries come back for the evening festivities.

If enough people start "gaming the system" by taking up a table at dinner time and only ordering drinks I would guess Disney will act quickly to put a stop to that. The whole point of this change for Disney is to make more money. Even though drinks have a nice markup they still want to sell the overpriced food too.

No doubt. But just like everything else, they make a change, and we adapt our techniques as appropriate. ;)

Jon81uk

Why do people need alcohol when they are at an amusement park? Is alcohol so important to them they have to have an alcoholic beverage with a meal? Alcohol does not belong in the Magic Kingdom nor any park. Yes, I like a drink. Nothing better than a hurricane from Pat O'Brien's on St. Peter's in Bew Orleans. Really, you have to have alcohol served at the Magic Kingdom where Walt didn't want it.

But currently they aren't really adding alcohol in an amusement park. They are serving drinks with dinner at waited service restaurants. There isn't really a difference between someone leaving the park, eating dinner at The Wave in the Contemporary (with a glass of wine) and coming back in, compared to eating at Tony's and having a glass of wine with their pasta.

The only place I'm less sure on it is Cinderella's Royal Table, as that is more like a theme park attraction than a restaurant. But the food I had was good, so for an adults only meal there I can still see the appeal.

Goofyernmost

And look at what that attitude has gotten us in the last two months... Its funny how quickly people discount his role in what they have today while being completely oblivious to how they got where they are.
Of course, he controlled that stuff, he not only owned it, he created it. His personal opinion, due to his position was law. His attitude toward things was based in the 30's through 1966. It's all well and good to say that "this isn't what Walt would have wanted", but, if Walt hadn't changed his attitudes from back then all that we see might not exist. So many of us, me included, love to idolize the past. It was a time, perhaps when life for us was simpler and less stressful. It's like comfort food for us. I don't consider myself old, but, I will be 70 in a year and a half. When I was young 70 was one foot in the grave and the other on a banana peel. Even for me, a person that still lives in the 60's as emphasized by my collection and constant use of Beatle Music, realize that I am three generations behind now. Many, many things have changed over the 50 years since Walt died. And like most humans we tend to glorify things that are gone (dead) as if they were absolutely perfect instead of full of flaws and no longer up to date. That goes for things (like attractions) or people (like Walt). Nostalgia is something the older people live for, younger generations do not. They will, just not yet. That comes naturally later on.

Don't twist that around to make it sound like I don't think that Walt Disney was a remarkable man and that his "positive" influence isn't vastly visible all over the world now. Just in this country... who knows what Anaheim and the Orlando area would look like today if Walt had not existed. The man was, by god, amazing. But things we all believed in 50, or so, years ago are not necessarily the way society feels they are now.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom