Alcohol in the Magic Kingdom

csmat99

I know there are many hairs to be split here by everyone in defense of their stance, BUT, seriously, are we so selfish to want what we want so bad that we are willing to promote alcohol to our kids as sometimes as harmless as coffee! Alcohol could never be promoted again and we'd still have an epidemic of its consequences. (Which are slightly worse than coffee). When we as "adults" falsely soften its image, we might as well give them a green light. Atleast that's how I see it.
Ok you are going overboard with that comment. In many societies across the world it's acceptable and tradition for kids to have a drink at dinner with their parents. Those kids aren't growing up with issues. My parents allowed me to drink beer in the home when I was 14. I didn't abuse it. To be honest didn't like the taste back then. When I did start liking beer I was responsible because that is how I was raised. If you are going to get on your high horse about something it should be energy drinks. They are marketed to kids and they have been proven to be harmful to kids. Kids have died drinking too much of them. Or they have reactions with meds they are taking.

beertiki

the worse crime in key west is when people get body painted that just shouldn't :eek:

For some reason, they decide to paint them to look like watermelons.....

Or the guy with fishing line tied from his finger to his... making it dance.

Fantasy Fest. The Zombie Bike ride really is the perfect blend of family friendly and drinking in public.

Tony the Tigger

I think a fair number of adults celebrate birthdays, anniversaries, engagements and such with dinner at the castle.

Isn't there a 2 drink limit? How is someone going to make a scene with that sort of limit?

Is there really a two drink limit? There hasn't been anywhere I've been so far LOL.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Does anyone know if beer/wine will be available for lunch at BOG now? From what I understand the expanded restaurants will have alcohol at both lunch and dinner, but BOG has not had it at lunch as far as I know.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Completely agree. I'm not against the casual glass of beer or wine in TS in MK. At the same time, due to the nature of that park, unlike the other three, I don't think there should be kiosks or availability at CS either.

There lies the rub now that we have broken the no alcohol in the MK taboo. It's only a matter of time before we see the ODV carts pushing alcohol, From a strictly financial PoV it's a no-brainer. My guess is no later than Memorial Day next year

rob0519

Ok you are going overboard with that comment. In many societies across the world it's acceptable and tradition for kids to have a drink at dinner with their parents. Those kids aren't growing up with issues. My parents allowed me to drink beer in the home when I was 14. I didn't abuse it. To be honest didn't like the taste back then. When I did start liking beer I was responsible because that is how I was raised. If you are going to get on your high horse about something it should be energy drinks. They are marketed to kids and they have been proven to be harmful to kids. Kids have died drinking too much of them. Or they have reactions with meds they are taking.

You sort of lost your own argument here. If you live in the United States and your parents allowed you to drink beer in the house, technically they were teaching you it's ok to pick and choose which laws you want to follow and which you do not. There isn't any state in the union when it is legal for a 14 year old to buy beer or for an adult to give beer to a 14 year old.

According to the CDC:
"Excessive drinking is responsible for more than 4,300 deaths among underage youth each year, and cost the U.S. $24 billion in economic costs in 2010. 2,3.
Although drinking by persons under the age of 21 is illegal, people aged 12 to 20 years drink 11% of all alcohol consumed in the United States.Oct 20, 2016"
From the CSPI - Center for Science in the Public Interest.
"According to adverse event reports collected by the agency since 2004, a total of 34 deaths have now been linked to energy drinks. Of those, 22 deaths have been linked to 5-Hour Energy, 11 deaths have been linked to Monster, and one death, a first, has been linked to Rockstar."

Alcohol is still far more dangerous to teenagers than energy drinks.

Sir_Cliff

Is that a danger inherent to alcohol itself, or American attitudes about alcohol? You'll note that Europe doesn't have nearly the teen drinking problems that the U.S. does.
There's something very distinct in the attitude toward alcohol in the old Anglo countries that doesn't seem to work. One of the things that has been striking to me living in Germany is how much people seem to drink without things ever getting messy or aggressive in the way that seems pretty common when people are out drinking in the UK, Australia, US, etc. Another thing that is striking is that it's perfectly legal in Germany to buy a beer at a local kiosk and wander down the street drinking it like you would a Coke.

Tony the Tigger

You sort of lost your own argument here. If you live in the United States and your parents allowed you to drink beer in the house, technically they were teaching you it's ok to pick and choose which laws you want to follow and which you do not. There isn't any state in the union when it is legal for a 14 year old to buy beer or for an adult to give beer to a 14 year old.

Wrong.

http://drinkingage.procon.org/view.resource.php?resourceID=002591

"45 states have exceptions to allow underage consumption of alcohol under certain circumstances. Five states (Alabama, Arkansas, Idaho, New Hampshire, and West Virginia) have no such exceptions."

"On private, non alcohol-selling premises, with parental consentin 29 statesExamples: private home, private office, or private property with parental presence and consent Alaska, Colorado, Connecticut, Delaware, Georgia, Illinois, Iowa, Kansas, Louisiana, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Minnesota, Mississippi, Montana, Nebraska, Nevada, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, Ohio, Oklahoma, Oregon, South Carolina, Texas, Virginia, Washington, Wisconsin, Wyoming"

IMFearless

I assume you are saying that in your opinion serving beer or wine at table service restaurants will result in something that detracts from the bigger picture. I have asked this question a number of times with no real answer: how many incidents are documented with people behaving poorly after having a beer or glass of wine at BOG? I haven't heard of any problems related to it. The only response I've seen is someone posting a picture of the guy climbing the pyramid in Mexico, but that is at a park that serves hard liquor and shots and allows people to drink at a bar without eating food.

I agree with this. However, I don't see having a beer or wine with dinner as being a bad idea either. Just because some people can't handle alcohol or get out of control doesn't mean it's a bad idea to offer it to anyone. I know it's not exactly the same thing, but since some people text while driving a car which is dangerous should we ban all cell phones from having a text feature? Or maybe just ban driving altogether? To me it would make more sense to have Disney handle the actual problem directly. At EPCOT or any other place either cut people off when they have had too much or remove them from the park if they are publicly drunk.

I think for many people who have reservations about the serving of alcohol in Magic Kingdom, their concerns would be lessened a great deal if Disney Management routinely demonstrated that they are handling the problems directly. The management does not prevent or even discourage the organised binge drinking events around world showcase to any meaningful extent. My confidence in Disney to turn down short term revenue in order to preserve the long term business interests is the issue.

If management was more focused on improving the quality of the experience rather than the sort of quick buck approach we have seen of late, I think people would feel much more reassured. As I said, time will tell on whether this is a sensible move.

Does anyone know if there are plans for this to happen at Disneyland? Surely, they will not resist rolling it out there if there is minimal resistance in Florida?

The Empress Lilly

I'm a little embarrassed to admit how young I was when my Italian grandfather started putting homemade wine into Sprite and giving it to me to drink. :hilarious:
I remember visiting my relatives from my mother's side when I was a young puppy. Small rural village, quite Catholic. With a little village square with one church and two bars. Where everybody went on Sunday afternoon, Church first, bars afterwards. Except for weird uncle X, who skipped Church to go to both bars on Sunday, twice too, because he was 'religious about drinking'. We, the kids (6? 7?) were served alcohol. In church first, then in the bar, with some mixed, low alcohol drinks.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Is that a danger inherent to alcohol itself, or American attitudes about alcohol? You'll note that Europe doesn't have nearly the teen drinking problems that the U.S. does.

It's the whole 'forbidden fruit' thing where alcohol is a 18/21+ thing in the US where in Europe beer and wine are foods served with meals and children learn to enjoy yet not overindulge

What's the big deal about beer or wine when you get it every night with your meal It's the way I was raised if beer or wine was served with a meal we got child sized portions of the same beer or wine. Oddly as a teen had no desire to go binge drinking.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I think for many people who have reservations about the serving of alcohol in Magic Kingdom, their concerns would be lessened a great deal if Disney Management routinely demonstrated that they are handling the problems directly. The management does not prevent or even discourage the organised binge drinking events around world showcase to any meaningful extent. My confidence in Disney to turn down short term revenue in order to preserve the long term business interests is the issue.

If management was more focused on improving the quality of the experience rather than the sort of quick buck approach we have seen of late, I think people would feel much more reassured. As I said, time will tell on whether this is a sensible move.

Does anyone know if there are plans for this to happen at Disneyland? Surely, they will not resist rolling it out there if there is minimal resistance in Florida?
I agree it's a concern. I don't want to see beer carts on Main Street or even Dole Whip served with booze at a counter service restaurant (sorry, I know people want it). I don't think it has to lead to that. Many people assumed after alcohol became fully available in EPCOT and MGM Studios back in the 80s/90s it would inevitably spread to MK but it didn't (until now). I get that alcohol is profitable and it will be hard to resist, but the bread and butter of WDW and especially MK is families with children. If MK became a drunk fest full of fights and vomiting and general bad behavior it would hurt the core business. Alcohol has a larger presence in EPCOT WS but that area is perhaps the least popular amongst the toddler/stroller crowd. I don't see it as good business to turn MK into a drunk fest. I think there is a big line between offering a beer or glass of wine with a sit down meal and selling beer from a cart or shots from a bar. If it does get to that point I wouldn't expect it to happen any time soon. Expanding from BOG to the other TS restaurants was a natural fit and easy to do quickly. Remember it took over 30 years between offering alcohol at EPCOT to offering it in limited quantity at MK.

GoofGoof

Premium Member

According to the CDC:
"Excessive drinking is responsible for more than 4,300 deaths among underage youth each year, and cost the U.S. $24 billion in economic costs in 2010. 2,3.
Although drinking by persons under the age of 21 is illegal, people aged 12 to 20 years drink 11% of all alcohol consumed in the United States.Oct 20, 2016"
From the CSPI - Center for Science in the Public Interest.
"According to adverse event reports collected by the agency since 2004, a total of 34 deaths have now been linked to energy drinks. Of those, 22 deaths have been linked to 5-Hour Energy, 11 deaths have been linked to Monster, and one death, a first, has been linked to Rockstar."

Alcohol is still far more dangerous to teenagers than energy drinks.
These are good stats, but how many of the 4,300 deaths were from someone who had a glass of wine or 1 beer with dinner? I'm guessing none or very few. I know you were disputing the other poster's claim that energy drinks are more dangerous than alcohol but in the context of this discussion we aren't talking about letting people drink themselves to death at MK. It's just a drink or 2 with dinner and I don't think many underage kids are going to be sneaking drinks at MK.

Like @Tony the Tigger said, in most parts of the US it's technically legal for a parent to allow their own child a drink for either religious purposes or in the privacy of their own home. It's not legal to serve other people's kids or provide alcohol for a party with underage kids. In a lot of cultures and religions alcohol plays a part, but it's not to get drunk.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom