Alcohol in the Magic Kingdom

Aqueeta

I don't have a problem with alcohol being served at MK and even though you a vacationing drunk like Buddy Thomas making a fool out of himself once in a while, the real problem lies with the young locals who fashion the park into their own little beer fest a' la F&W. TDO needs to raise one-day ticket prices through the roof to keep these local drunkards at bay!

Matt_Black

Again, I don't see how TS restaurants serving alcohol at a meal that requires a reservation is going to somehow lead to a spike in teen binge drinking. It's very much a strawman argument, like when someone tries to argue about alcohol in Epcot by pointing out how a loved one was killed by a drunk driver.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I don't have a problem with alcohol being served at MK and even though you a vacationing drunk like Buddy Thomas making a fool out of himself once in a while, the real problem lies with the young locals who fashion the park into their own little beer fest a' la F&W. TDO needs to raise one-day ticket prices through the roof to keep these local drunkards at bay!
Maybe I'm wrong, but isn't that really only isolated to EPCOT WS? Drinking around the world is a thing. I haven't heard any stories about people drinking around AK or DHS but they both offer alcohol including drink carts and bars.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Again, I don't see how TS restaurants serving alcohol at a meal that requires a reservation is going to somehow lead to a spike in teen binge drinking. It's very much a strawman argument, like when someone tries to argue about alcohol in Epcot by pointing out how a loved one was killed by a drunk driver.
The cheapest wine at BOG was $9 a glass. The beer was something like $7. I don't know about anyone else, but I couldn't afford that as a teen. $7 was a case of beer, not a single glass.

Aqueeta

Maybe I'm wrong, but isn't that really only isolated to EPCOT WS? Drinking around the world is a thing. I haven't heard any stories about people drinking around AK or DHS but they both offer alcohol including drink carts and bars.
Are you saying the drinking at EPCOT WS is acceptable?

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Are you saying the drinking at EPCOT WS is acceptable?
I don't have a problem with it personally, but that wasn't my point. What I was saying is that drinking around the world is a known thing people do. I've never heard of anyone drinking around AK or DHS even though they serve alcohol. I wouldn't expect drinking around MK to become a thing...especially considering you need to eat a meal to get served there.

Minnie1976

Why do people need alcohol when they are at an amusement park? Is alcohol so important to them they have to have an alcoholic beverage with a meal? Alcohol does not belong in the Magic Kingdom nor any park. Yes, I like a drink. Nothing better than a hurricane from Pat O'Brien's on St. Peter's in Bew Orleans. Really, you have to have alcohol served at the Magic Kingdom where Walt didn't want it.

Matt_Black

Why do people need alcohol when they are at an amusement park? Is alcohol so important to them they have to have an alcoholic beverage with a meal? Alcohol does not belong in the Magic Kingdom nor any park. Yes, I like a drink. Nothing better than a hurricane from Pat O'Brien's on St. Peter's in Bew Orleans. Really, you have to have alcohol served at the Magic Kingdom where Walt didn't want it.

Walt also didn't want cast members with facial hair. Things change.

Goofyernmost

Is that a danger inherent to alcohol itself, or American attitudes about alcohol? You'll note that Europe doesn't have nearly the teen drinking problems that the U.S. does.
That is the simplest of foreseeable situations for the country with the law that says you cannot drink. Have you ever known a teenager, that wasn't working toward sainthood, that ever didn't at least attempt to do something that they were absolutely forbidden to do? They don't have the problem in Europe because they don't put the "forbidden" aspect into it. They can have alcohol any time they want it... there is no thrill in being allowed to do things. Prohibition proved just how unenforceable that thought was.

csmat99

You sort of lost your own argument here. If you live in the United States and your parents allowed you to drink beer in the house, technically they were teaching you it's ok to pick and choose which laws you want to follow and which you do not. There isn't any state in the union when it is legal for a 14 year old to buy beer or for an adult to give beer to a 14 year old.

According to the CDC:
"Excessive drinking is responsible for more than 4,300 deaths among underage youth each year, and cost the U.S. $24 billion in economic costs in 2010. 2,3.
Although drinking by persons under the age of 21 is illegal, people aged 12 to 20 years drink 11% of all alcohol consumed in the United States.Oct 20, 2016"
From the CSPI - Center for Science in the Public Interest.
"According to adverse event reports collected by the agency since 2004, a total of 34 deaths have now been linked to energy drinks. Of those, 22 deaths have been linked to 5-Hour Energy, 11 deaths have been linked to Monster, and one death, a first, has been linked to Rockstar."

Alcohol is still far more dangerous to teenagers than energy drinks.
You couldn't be more wrong. lol When I lived in Texas with my kids I was allowed to buy a beer and allow my son to drink it. Where I grew up it's perfectly legal for parent to allow their kids to drink in their own home. The deaths from underage drinking are not because I was allowed to drink. All my friends and I were very responsible. We always had a designated driver. The issue I saw when I was younger and knew people who died from drinking and driving was that their parents didn't care where there were or what they were doing. They were crying out for help but they parents didn't care. I think it's a joke that in this country you can get a license to drive a car that is 3,000 lbs of a killing machine at 16 in a lot of states but have to wait to 21 to buy a beer. I know I wasn't mature to be driving a 16. You make one minor mistake and not pay attention you can kill someone. Now with cell phones and texting it's even worse.

1. on private, non alcohol-selling premises, with parental consent in 29 states Examples: private home, private office, or private property with parental presence and consent
Alaska, Colorado, Connecticut, Delaware, Georgia, Illinois, Iowa, Kansas, Louisiana, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Minnesota, Mississippi, Montana, Nebraska, Nevada, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, Ohio, Oklahoma, Oregon, South Carolina, Texas, Virginia, Washington, Wisconsin, Wyoming

8. on alcohol-selling premises, with parental approval in 10 statesExamples: restaurant, bar, or a venue where alcohol is sold Connecticut, Kansas, Louisiana, Massachusetts, Mississippi, Nevada, Ohio, Texas, Wisconsin, Wyoming

Tony the Tigger

1. If you're going to call out @BuddyThomas then at least have the decency to tag him when you do it.
2. Locals get an annual pass for $270 so one-day ticket prices don't mean a thing.

Tony the Tigger

I don't have a problem with it personally, but that wasn't my point. What I was saying is that drinking around the world is a known thing people do. I've never heard of anyone drinking around AK or DHS even though they serve alcohol. I wouldn't expect drinking around MK to become a thing...especially considering you need to eat a meal to get served there.

Challenge accepted! ;)

JohnD

There lies the rub now that we have broken the no alcohol in the MK taboo. It's only a matter of time before we see the ODV carts pushing alcohol, From a strictly financial PoV it's a no-brainer. My guess is no later than Memorial Day next year

I was about to add, "But then there's the slippery slope argument" which you just added. I dunno. I hope not.

MonorailCoral

especially considering you need to eat a meal to get served there.

Honest question to anyone...I've yet to have a sit-down meal in the MK involving alcohol, but would a scenario like the below not be possible?

1) Get seated.
2) Order and receive a round of drinks while looking at the food menu.
3) Commence drinking.
4) Order and receive another round of drinks without yet ordering food because you're still "unsure" what to order.
5) Continue drinking.
6) Rinse and repeat steps 4 and 5 indefinitely until you've "changed your mind" about ordering food, ask and pay for the drink bill, then walk out.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
That is the simplest of foreseeable situations for the country with the law that says you cannot drink. Have you ever known a teenager, that wasn't working toward sainthood, that ever didn't at least attempt to do something that they were absolutely forbidden to do? They don't have the problem in Europe because they don't put the "forbidden" aspect into it. They can have alcohol any time they want it... there is no thrill in being allowed to do things. Prohibition proved just how unenforceable that thought was.

Prohibition was an object lesson that American Governments still refuse to learn from. Personally there should be no restrictions on intoxicants BUT and this is a BiG ONE there should be zero tolerance for operating under the influence in that regime just like most European countries.

I've worked in 'safety critical' areas of airlines and was subject to random "whiz quizzes" and yet no one failed on my team because we knew and followed the rules.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom