Alcohol in the Magic Kingdom

wdwfan22

I don't want to keep going back and forth on this, I'm just shocked at these responses. There are places in WDW that are 21+, these are for adults only. A lounge at a resort someone is staying at is a great place to get food in a relaxing environment without a reservation and without taking hours out of your day. Like I said a few days ago, I must have been extreme lucky during all of my visits to WDW lounges.. I have never once seen children running around...or even several children in them. As far as Trader Sam's Tiki Terrace and Mizner's, and the new GV Champagne and Wine lounge, there is not even space for kids to be running around. You are sitting at a table, similar to a restaurant. I've also never had a neighboring table who was cursing loudly, I would not be thrilled with that regardless of if I was with a party of adults, or with my kid.

There was plenty of loud talk and bits of cursing during the Michigan OSU game at the Beach Pool Bar at GF. This game was at noon. We weren't sitting there, nor did I think it was appropriate for a 6 year old to be sitting there, so we made other arrangements to watch the game away from that atmosphere.

There was also groups of men sitting at the Courtyard Pool Bar every night, and a good portion of the day. We don't sit at a bar.

They should at least have a little section in DS.

We will agree to disagree then. A lounge is not a quick service spot to grab a bite to eat, It's a place to relax and drink. So in my opinion It's not a place for children to be. Because it's Walt Disney World, Disney will not restrict children from being present with there parents. It still doesn't make it right that parents bring them along.

21stamps

We will agree to disagree then. A lounge is not a quick service spot to grab a bite to eat, It's a place to relax and drink. So in my opinion It's not a place for children to be. Because it's Walt Disney World, Disney will not restrict children from being present with there parents. It still doesn't make it right that parents bring them along.

It is a place to eat though. Mizner's is different right now, but here is their normal menu- https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/dining/grand-floridian-resort-and-spa/mizner-lounge/menus/

Here are photos of the website- how is Mizner's or Citrico's Lounge any more "adult" than the word Pool "Bar", with alcoholic drinks shown in the photo? These are all dining options.

Attachments

• IMG_9285.JPG
    IMG_9285.JPG
    94.1 KB · Views: 74
  • IMG_9284.JPG
    IMG_9284.JPG
    74.9 KB · Views: 66
Last edited:

wdwfan22

21stamps

Just because they are dining options, doesn't mean they are suitable for Guests of all ages.
I will agree to strongly disagree.

I fail to see how my son sitting at a table here.. is having any negative impact or ruining the guest's experience at the table behind us.
I just don't and can't see it. I think it's sad that people would have their time ruined because of it. Luckily these people didn't seem to bothered by his presence, if they were-that's their own personal choice.
IMG_5073.JPG

drizgirl

I fail to see how my son sitting at a table here.. is having any negative impact or ruining the guest's experience at the table behind us.
I just don't and can't see it. I think it's sad that people would have their time ruined because of it. Luckily these people didn't seem to bothered by it, if they were-that's their own personal choice.

Maybe your son didn't ruin anyone's experience. But if there were kids at every table, it has the potential to change the experience. And there might be some at other tables that would disrupt things.

This isn't about your son. They can't ban everyone except your son.

21stamps

Maybe your son didn't ruin anyone's experience. But if there were kids at every table, it has the potential to change the experience. And there might be some at other tables that would disrupt things.

This isn't about your son. They can't ban everyone except your son.
No, and they shouldn't. A child at another table wouldn't have bothered me in the slightest. Obnoxious kids bother me, obnoxious adults bother me..any of them could be at any establishment at any time. I haven't seen and can't be convinced that any establishment that does not offer a kid's menu will ever be overrun with children the majority of the time.. other people seem convinced that these places are overrun with children, and the very nature of the term "lounge" means it is inappropriate to take a child there, but the term "bar" in pool bar is not exclusive, and it's ok to eat and drink at.

So, we're at a standstill.lol

drizgirl

No, and they shouldn't. A child at another table wouldn't have bothered me in the slightest. Obnoxious kids bother me, obnoxious adults bother me..any of them could be at any establishment at any time. I haven't seen and can't be convinced that any establishment that does not offer a kid's menu will ever be overrun with children the majority of the time.. other people seem convinced that these places are overrun with children, and the very nature of the term "lounge" means it is inappropriate to take a child there, but the term "bar" in pool bar is not exclusive, and it's ok to eat and drink at.

So, we're at a standstill.lol

Well, they probably can't just ban obnoxious kids, and we all know Disney sucks at acting on bad behavior. So you are stuck not being able to bring your kid into a lounge.

It really doesn't matter if others think the lounges will be overrun and who is right. Disney has their rules so you are stuck choosing for the entire universe of eating locations minus the few that don't allow kids.

21stamps

Well, they probably can't just ban obnoxious kids, and we all know Disney sucks at acting on bad behavior. So you are stuck not being able to bring your kid into a lounge.

It really doesn't matter if others think the lounges will be overrun and who is right. Disney has their rules so you are stuck choosing for the entire universe of eating locations minus the few that don't allow kids.
I'm not stuck. They allow children, most of them. That's what the convo has been about.. that people "feel" like children should be banned.

ETA- as far as obnoxious children go, you are inherently eliminating several, maybe hundreds, of children by not offering hot dogs, mac n cheese, and chicken nuggets. People online complain that the kid's menu at BOG is too "adventurous", do you really think these same people are going to bring their kids to order sushi, crab, charcuterie boards, spicy Polynesian offerings etc?

Let me put the disclaimer that I am not saying picky eaters are obnoxious.. I'm saying, as I've been saying-- the menus themselves will exclude many children from visiting. That automatically reduces the chances of being "filled with children and I can't find a seat", or "children being obnoxious and running around the restaurant"

Last edited:

drizgirl

I'm not stuck. They allow children, most of them. That's what the convo has been about.. that people "feel" like children should be banned.

ETA- as far as obnoxious children go, you are inherently eliminating several, maybe hundreds, of children by not offering hot dogs, mac n cheese, and chicken nuggets. People online complain that the kid's menu at BOG is too "adventurous", do you really think these same people are going to bring their kids to order sushi, crab, charcuterie boards, spicy Polynesian offerings etc?

Let me put the disclaimer that I am not saying picky eaters are obnoxious.. I'm saying, as I've been saying-- the menus themselves will exclude many children from visiting. That automatically reduces the chances of being "filled with children and I can't find a seat", or "children being obnoxious and running around the restaurant"

You really seem to have strong feelings about this. I'm glad you have an adventurous eater who doesn't disrupt anyone's experience. I'm sure one day when he's old enough he'll love visiting the lounges with you. Until then, all you can do is deal with the rules Disney has in place.

And if you think about it, you'll realize that the menu itself won't limit anyone. They would still take kids in there and fuss about how limited the menu was. Disney has found a nice tidy way of limiting kids without having to fight that battle.

21stamps

You really seem to have strong feelings about this. I'm glad you have an adventurous eater who doesn't disrupt anyone's experience. I'm sure one day when he's old enough he'll love visiting the lounges with you. Until then, all you can do is deal with the rules Disney has in place.

And if you think about it, you'll realize that the menu itself won't limit anyone. They would still take kids in there and fuss about how limited the menu was. Disney has found a nice tidy way of limiting kids without having to fight that battle.

Not just Disney, a lot of nice restaurants...steakhouses, sushi, etc. do the same. These aren't places where I take my kid daily or even weekly, but we do go on special occasions, including vacations. I think the main problem here is people are seeing the word "lounge" and assuming "bar". Tambu Lounge has a full menu for most of the day, the majority of these "lounges" at WDW have very decent menus. That's why they are listed under "Dining".

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Actually alcohol sales are much more profitable both in margin and dollar volume than food sales, I don't see any financial reason why this would be problem for Disney. If I sell 30 bucks in alcohol my cost is probably on the order of 3-5 dollars. If I sell 30 bucks in food my cost is probably 10-20 dollars.

It will be the people who want to eat who will be left out in the cold so to speak
I think the point is they want to sell $30 worth of food and $30 worth of alcohol at these locations. That is going to be way more profitable than having a table tied up with just drinkers.

I don't believe it's management's intention to just sell alcohol. If that was the case they would just open a bar and allow people to buy drinks at will. That would be a lot more profitable than hoping people will figure out how to "game the system" to sit in the BOG dining room sucking down $7 beers.

drizgirl

Not just Disney, a lot of nice restaurants...steakhouses, sushi, etc. do the same. These aren't places where I take my kid daily or even weekly, but we do go on special occasions, including vacations. I think the main problem here is people are seeing the word "lounge" and assuming "bar". Tambu Lounge has a full menu for most of the day, the majority of these "lounges" at WDW have very decent menus. That's why they are listed under "Dining".
I have no idea what a list them there. Maybe you should ask someone at Disney?

21stamps

I think the point is they want to sell $30 worth of food and $30 worth of alcohol at these locations. That is going to be way more profitable than having a table tied up with just drinkers.

I don't believe it's management's intention to just sell alcohol. If that was the case they would just open a bar and allow people to buy drinks at will. That would be a lot more profitable than hoping people will figure out how to "game the system" to sit in the BOG dining room sucking down $7 beers.
I think the people who are assuming someone will go to MK just to drink are taking a huge leap from the more probable situation of people just having a drink with a meal.

GoofGoof

Premium Member

I just don't and can't see it. I think it's sad that people would have their time ruined because of it. Luckily these people didn't seem to bothered by his presence, if they were-that's their own personal choice.
View attachment 180480
I don't think having 1 child quietly sitting there is ruining anyone's time. The problem is when multiple kids show up and get rowdy and adults who want a drink at the bar in their hotel can't find a seat. If there was no 8PM curfew at Trader Sams this would be an issue there for sure. I've seen a similar scene at Top of the World Lounge at BLT which has no restrictions. As the rules currently stand elsewhere on property there's nothing wrong with a bunch of families going and sitting in the lounges. They are not adult only.

I know you personally have not seen disruptive kids as an issue, but I have never personally seen a drunk guy scale the pyramid at EPCOT either. The video and pictures online prove that it still happened even though I never saw it personally.

Goofyernmost

Specific values for margins notwithstanding, Alcohol is still more profitable per dollar than food to sell in any scenario. And as for lingering too long we all know WDW has the 'bums rush' down to a science at their F&B locations.
I didn't disagree with you at all. I just think, or at least think I know, that all the other considerations of cost have to enter into each decision. They spend a lot of money to create a good eating establishment and they either want to keep it that way or turn it into a drinking one. There is a need for both and in Disney's case, it is a pretty good profit either way. I agree that they know how to get people out, so, really this whole concern really doesn't exist. They will determine what is going to be a restaurant and what is going to be a lounge, perhaps a cover will be charged for the lounges and everyone will live happily ever after or at least until they wake up in the morning with their eyes bleeding and their wallets empty.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I think the people who are assuming someone will go to MK just to drink are taking a huge leap from the more probable situation of people just having a drink with a meal.
It hasn't been a problem at BoG yet. That was just 1 guy describing how he planned to game the system.

Princess Leia

Ok, I wasn't going to jump into this, but man, people need to calm down.

I have a drink every once in awhile (unless I go out for karaoke, then it's 2 or 3). I'm planning a trip to Orlando for next fall, and it's coinciding with my birthday. My friends, sister, and I are all adults, and we're considering drinking and snacking around the World Showcase as a birthday thing. I don't see us getting trashed, since we'll probably be sharing drinks (lower the price a teeny bit, please, Disney).

Will I be drinking at Magic Kingdom? Probably not, but if someone is celebrating a birthday/anniversary/engagement/wedding, I don't see any reason why they shouldn't have the option at a restaurant.

It's all about moderation. Out of control drinking isn't a great thing, but you could say the same thing for out of control eating or spending. If you don't want to buy a drink, don't. There's absolutely no pressure.

21stamps

I don't think having 1 child quietly sitting there is ruining anyone's time. The problem is when multiple kids show up and get rowdy and adults who want a drink at the bar in their hotel can't find a seat. If there was no 8PM curfew at Trader Sams this would be an issue there for sure. I've seen a similar scene at Top of the World Lounge at BLT which has no restrictions. As the rules currently stand elsewhere on property there's nothing wrong with a bunch of families going and sitting in the lounges. They are not adult only.

I know you personally have not seen disruptive kids as an issue, but I have never personally seen a drunk guy scale the pyramid at EPCOT either. The video and pictures online prove that it still happened even though I never saw it personally.
I haven't seen enough photos to make me think it's the norm, so I can only go with what I've personally seen, and what I have not seen proof of. Like I said though, I have no idea about Top of the World bc I have never been there.

That begs the question though, if you are staying somewhere else, and you want to go have a cocktail in early evening (I keep stressing early bc I am talking before 9pm)at Tambu Lounge.. is it better that "you" (general) have a seat, or is it more 'fair" that me, as a guest at that resort, is having some sushi and drink there, taking up 2 chairs..not at the bar...Having chosen to stay at that resort in part bc of their many dining options.
Regardless of if I was alone and my kid was at Lilo's, or if him and I are there together, it is still taking up the same amount of space.

wdwfan22

I haven't seen enough photos to make me think it's the norm, so I can only go with what I've personally seen, and what I have not seen proof of. Like I said though, I have no idea about Top of the World bc I have never been there.

That begs the question though, if you are staying somewhere else, and you want to go have a cocktail in early evening (I keep stressing early bc I am talking before 9pm)at Tambu Lounge.. is it better that "you" (general) have a seat, or is it more 'fair" that me, as a guest at that resort, is having some sushi and drink there, taking up 2 chairs..not at the bar...Having chosen to stay at that resort in part bc of their many dining options.
Regardless of if I was alone and my kid was at Lilo's, or if him and I are there together, it is still taking up the same amount of space.

As someone who visits at least once a month I can tell you that it is a problem at times in the resort lounges. And just because your child sat their quietly doesn't mean all kids do, or that they still belong in the lounge to begin with. Two weeks ago I was at the lounge in the Beach Club and had one families children running around disturbing everyone. Finally the server said something to the parents and they left. However this shouldn't have been allowed to happen in the first place. The lounges are designed as quiet places to escape the hustle and bustle of the parks.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom