Alcohol in the Magic Kingdom

GoofGoof

Premium Member
It was specifically suggested that lounges should be 21+ and that it would make sense for the ones on the monorail line to be restricted to adults.
It wouldn't make economic sense to do that. There is more demand than supply currently for adult only options but not enough demand to fill every lounge. I think the focus was originally on the monorail resorts because it was suggested that MK doesn't need alcohol since the monorail resorts are so close and easy to access from the park. I don't see why those resorts would be restricted any differently than any others on property. I could see an argument being made for CR and YC to have more options due to the large convention spaces there.

Disneyhead'71

@21stamps What if each deluxe resort had an adult's only lounge, but it isn't a cool lounge like TS. Just dark wood, burgundy leather, and "all you can eat" snack mix from a little glass bowl on the bar?

Last edited:

21stamps

@21stamps What if each deluxe resort had an adult's only lounge, but it isn't a cool lounge like TS. Just dark wood, burgundy leather, and "all you can eat" snack mix from a little glass bowl on the bar?
Then we wouldn't go. That to me is -a bar. Like I said, we go in early evenings for the food and drinks. All of the ones I mentioned have good food.. a few options the same as a TS meal, a great atmosphere and delicious beverages. If I didn't want the food I could just get a drink from the pool bar..which I also do on a regular basis while at WDW.lol

It wouldn't make economic sense to do that. There is more demand than supply currently for adult only options but not enough demand to fill every lounge. I think the focus was originally on the monorail resorts because it was suggested that MK doesn't need alcohol since the monorail resorts are so close and easy to access from the park. I don't see why those resorts would be restricted any differently than any others on property. I could see an argument being made for CR and YC to have more options due to the large convention spaces there.

I definitely think YC should have more lounge options, I've never stayed at CR but from what I've heard it would make sense for them to have one as well. I just have a hard time believing that the supply outweighs the demand. I was just there during a very busy week and the wine bar at GF was literally empty every night. Maybe a lot of people don't know about it yet, but if I was on an adult trip at WDW looking for lounges, then I would make sure I knew which ones existed.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I definitely think YC should have more lounge options, I've never stayed at CR but from what I've heard it would make sense for them to have one as well. I just have a hard time believing that the supply outweighs the demand. I was just there during a very busy week and the wine bar at GF was literally empty every night. Maybe a lot of people don't know about it yet, but if I was on an adult trip at WDW looking for lounges, then I would make sure I knew which ones existed.
I don't know for sure but maybe the fact that it's not "adult only" is why it's not that crowded. If I was looking for an adult option I wouldn't go to a lounge with kids. I'd go to Trader Sams or Jelly Rolls or go off property. The few adult only options on property do seem to be very popular. Again, if they went from 4 to 40 the demand wouldn't be there. Probably as you suggested 1 in each of the deluxe resorts would be adequate.

21stamps

I don't know for sure but maybe the fact that it's not "adult only" is why it's not that crowded. If I was looking for an adult option I wouldn't go to a lounge with kids. I'd go to Trader Sams or Jelly Rolls or go off property. The few adult only options on property do seem to be very popular. Again, if they went from 4 to 40 the demand wouldn't be there. Probably as you suggested 1 in each of the deluxe resorts would be adequate.
I can only speak for me, but on all of my adult trips we didn't seek out 21+ places while there. What we did seek out was the more expensive places that did not have kid's menus. Lucky for me none of those places were ever a romper room when we were there. I would never avoid a Champagne and Wine room bc it didn't have a 21+ disclaimer...maybe some do, but to me that is shame is on them for missing out.

Tony the Tigger

Wikipedia
The Impact of Alcohol. ... About 3 million violent crimes occur each year in which victims perceive the offender to have been drinking and statisticsrelated to alcohol use by violent offenders generally show that about half of all homicides and assaults are committed when the offender, victim, or both have been drinking. Jun 27, 2015

But this is such a great thing for the parks!
(Said no one.....that is sober)
I agree, that we will have to agree to disagree on that as well. I don't pretend it doesn't exist with my daughter, there are just some things I don't believe I should introduce to her or teach her the "responsible" way to experience it. Much like I will never teach my daughter the "responsible" way to play with a gun in her mouth or the "responsible" way to play in the highway. They are all just as dangerous and have just as deadly and senseless consequences.

Wrong. Did you read what you wrote?

JohnD

There must not be a lot of Catholics in the bunch.. our school festival- we drink. Around kids. Lots of them. Never any incidents.
Our parish picnic- the church rents out a small amusement park every year. There's drinking there too, around many children, without incident.

I know Cedar Fair parks sell alcohol, with kids around.. not sure about Six Flags, but I'm assuming they do? I've never heard horror stories of drunks and traumatized children at our park at least.

Of course it's possible. Choosing not to drink and thinking that anyone who has a drink is a drunk..those are different mindsets. One is a personal choice, completely fine. The other is narrow minded horrible outlook on your neighbors and people in general.

I'm an Anglican. We're Catholic-lite. True story: At our reception after our Advent Lessons and Carols service this past Sunday, a parishioner couldn't find any water. Just beer and wine! Go figure.

JohnD

When they start selling it in carts or kiosks out on MSUSA is when I'll be concerned. Someone having a glass of wine or beer at a TS restaurant doesn't concern me at all.

Completely agree. I'm not against the casual glass of beer or wine in TS in MK. At the same time, due to the nature of that park, unlike the other three, I don't think there should be kiosks or availability at CS either.

beertiki

Disney knows that there are 100,000 plus men like me who will spend $30 a night on beer in the MK. That $30 does not get spent on popcorn, Mickey bars, or turkey legs, it stays in my wallet. They want my money, and will Figueroa out a way to separate me from it. $6 draft at the Tortuga Tavern, I might have a few.

drizgirl

Disney knows that there are 100,000 plus men like me who will spend $30 a night on beer in the MK. That $30 does not get spent on popcorn, Mickey bars, or turkey legs, it stays in my wallet. They want my money, and will Figueroa out a way to separate me from it. $6 draft at the Tortuga Tavern, I might have a few.

There are 100K men just like you with beer in their screen name?

csmat99

Adding alcohol to four restaurants with no current plans for anywhere else isn't going to do much harm. And it sounds like there is... gasp! A demand for specialty drinks and beer and wine with a meal. Bars aren't being erected, you won't find beers at a hot dog stand or popcorn stand. So the issue seems moot.
But they will expand where they serve alcohol. It is just a matter of time now. They will do it correctly.

Tony the Tigger

First of all: one week after I leave? Thanks Shanghai!

Second: Honestly, I don't feel strongly either way about this. While I'm certain I'll be one of those taking advantage of the offerings, I don't mind the status quo, either. That point being moot, I may end up going to Tony's for the first time LOL.

Third: Cinderella's? I thought that was an odd choice - never been, but isn't that the one where the whole point is for the little kids to meet Cindy?

While I think adults can handle the occasional bratty kid and/or drunk adult, I'd be more protective of little kids from a parent who might overdo it at the castle. I'm not saying it will happen nightly, but really, once is too much.

Fourth: some other business-y points beyond the obvious moolah for the mouse: This could keep some people in MK longer. That can have some pro and con effects on MK as well as the other places for which people would leave MK. This could mean the difference between locals with AP's staying on property for dinner vs. stopping at Bonefish or Publix on their way home. (If you're going to leave MK at 6PM, and you live 20 minutes away, why bother coming back or park-hopping?)

Examples: reduced monorail traffic and other transportation(?)
Fewer families with kids leaving MK to eat at the resort or Epcot because Dad wants a beer? Therefore, fewer kids at those more "adult" places, especially on the monorail line? (may be a negative for servers on the monorail line?)
Dad more freely buying stuff for the kids after he had a couple?
Easier to get a table at Epcot? (OK, MK restaurants may have to step up their game for this to happen.)

Goofyernmost

I'm an Anglican. We're Catholic-lite. True story: At our reception after our Advent Lessons and Carols service this past Sunday, a parishioner couldn't find any water. Just beer and wine! Go figure.
My wife was Anglican as was her entire family. She never drank more then a glass of wine once in awhile the entire 29 years we were married, however, I don't remember anyone ever saying that alcohol is forbidden. I'm pretty sure that Henry VIII would have not been amused. Might have even lost someones head over it. :hilarious::jawdrop::joyfull:

drizgirl

First of all: one week after I leave? Thanks Shanghai!

Second: Honestly, I don't feel strongly either way about this. While I'm certain I'll be one of those taking advantage of the offerings, I don't mind the status quo, either. That point being moot, I may end up going to Tony's for the first time LOL.

Third: Cinderella's? I thought that was an odd choice - never been, but isn't that the one where the whole point is for the little kids to meet Cindy?

While I think adults can handle the occasional bratty kid and/or drunk adult, I'd be more protective of little kids from a parent who might overdo it at the castle. I'm not saying it will happen nightly, but really, once is too much.

Fourth: some other business-y points beyond the obvious moolah for the mouse: This could keep some people in MK longer. That can have some pro and con effects on MK as well as the other places for which people would leave MK. This could mean the difference between locals with AP's staying on property for dinner vs. stopping at Bonefish or Publix on their way home. (If you're going to leave MK at 6PM, and you live 20 minutes away, why bother coming back or park-hopping?)

Examples: reduced monorail traffic and other transportation(?)
Fewer families with kids leaving MK to eat at the resort or Epcot because Dad wants a beer? Therefore, fewer kids at those more "adult" places, especially on the monorail line?
Dad more freely buying stuff for the kids after he had a couple?
Easier to get a table at Epcot? (OK, MK restaurants may have to step up their game for this to happen.)

I think a fair number of adults celebrate birthdays, anniversaries, engagements and such with dinner at the castle.

Isn't there a 2 drink limit? How is someone going to make a scene with that sort of limit?

csmat99

The point is simple. I'm not trying to change your mind, so relax you can keep your booze. I'm stating an opinion (because this is a forum), that Alcohol is not an improvement. (Cue the drunk jokes).
You are wrong. When you are having a nice meal that you are paying a lot of money for having the ability to have a nice glass or bottle of wine is an improvement. We aren't talking about keg stands or beer bong coming down from the castle. :rolleyes:

csmat99

I lived in Key West, Fl and have been visiting regularly ever since. There's just a couple of places to buy an adult beverage there...

Check out the crime in that place.

Taking a conch shell from the beach.
Keeping more fish than allowed.
Oh the violence!!! It's atrocious!!
the worse crime in key west is when people get body painted that just shouldn't :eek:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom