Alcohol in the Magic Kingdom

21stamps

Only if you are short sighted. (For instance):
1.) No alcohol in parks
2.) In all parks BUT Magic Kingdom
3.) In magic Kingdom BUT only B.O.G.
4.) OK, outside BOG but only table service......
5.) Next........You fill in the blank
So how many baby steps equal a "mighty leap"?..............
No I don't rationally think Disney will evolve into some 3rd world drunken apocolypse. I am just in awe at the celebration of something that very often has negative consequences. Seems sadly short sighted.

I don't believe that adults drinking alcohol with their children, or even those without children, at WDW, is going to lead to negative consequences. I know other people have seen it, but I've never seen behavior at Epcot, HS, or AK that was obnoxious due to alcohol. I have seen obnoxious behavior in those parks, as well as at MK, by people who were completely sober. So to me that entire argument is void of any reasoning or proof.

Do I believe that people get drunk at WDW? Of course. I also believe this is the minority and does not set an overall tone. I do think that the rude people who seem to have never learned manners are far more commonplace than a drunk at WDW.

Zippity-do-DAD

I lived in Key West, Fl and have been visiting regularly ever since. There's just a couple of places to buy an adult beverage there...

Check out the crime in that place.

Taking a conch shell from the beach.
Keeping more fish than allowed.
Oh the violence!!! It's atrocious!!

There are almost 400 liquor license issued on the island of KW alone, and what we call the "facts" indicate you are 80% more likely to be raped in KW than any where else in the country. Matlock would be disappointed in your cross examination. Here's my closing argument that will most certainly end in a hung jury. I think alcohol in the parks is a step in the wrong direction. I can't objectively find any argument thus far that can factually convince me otherwise. Most of the points being made in support of the booze is, "I like the taste", or "I want the buzz", which, let's be honest are extremely weak arguments for anything.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
Maybe a simple answer is to add new bar/lounges for adults, similar to Trader Sams at some of the resorts. Either brand new construction or just a renovation of a simple bar area attached to an existing restaurant.
If only they had an adult entertainment area where people could gather for adult-oriented shows, with drinks and heavy snacks... you know, like maybe a re-creation of a 1930's-style Adventurer's Club, or some kind of Improv Comedy Warehouse venue... ;)

21stamps

There are almost 400 liquor license issued on the island of KW alone, and what we call the "facts" indicate you are 80% more likely to be raped in KW than any where else in the country. Matlock would be disappointed in your cross examination. Here's my closing argument that will most certainly end in a hung jury. I think alcohol in the parks is a step in the wrong direction. I can't objectively find any argument thus far that can factually convince me otherwise. Most of the points being made in support of the booze is, "I like the taste", or "I want the buzz", which, let's be honest are extremely weak arguments for anything.
Why do you drink soda, or a milk shake, or anything that you enjoy? Probably because you like the taste, right? I haven't seen anyone here say "HOORAY!! I'm going to get wasted at MK!!!!"

I can tell you with 100% certainty that I have no qualms about walking around Key West at 12am, 1 am, 2am, 3am, or 4am alone. I have no hesitation or fear walking with a young child at 9-10pm down a one mile street that is bar after bar after bar there either. I would not do that in New Orleans, or where I currently live..or in most places. (some other areas of SoFla excluded). Alcohol doesn't equal violence. The tone of an environment attracts people to it. Different places have different tones. WDW is a family environment, drinking is not the reason for going, it's just one more thing to enjoy while there.

Zippity-do-DAD

I don't believe that adults drinking alcohol with their children, or even those without children, at WDW, is going to lead to negative consequences. I know other people have seen it, but I've never seen behavior at Epcot, HS, or AK that was obnoxious due to alcohol. I have seen obnoxious behavior in those parks, as well as at MK, by people who were completely sober. So to me that entire argument is void of any reasoning or proof.

Do I believe that people get drunk at WDW? Of course. I also believe this is the minority and does not set an overall tone. I do think that the rude people who seem to have never learned manners are far more commonplace than a drunk at WDW.

So giving those rude people that never learned manners a beer is a good idea? Seems kinda counter productive there doesn't it. Like adding stupid on top of stupid and getting......... a great idea!?!?! That makes perfect sense!

Grimley1968

If only they had an adult entertainment area where people could gather for adult-oriented shows, with drinks and heavy snacks... you know, like maybe a re-creation of a 1930's-style Adventurer's Club, or some kind of Improv Comedy Warehouse venue... ;)
For those who like to drink in a club atmosphere, the problem with WDW is about the same as with any other aspect of WDW: they have subtracted some great places, such as Adventurers Club and the Comedy Warehouse, and haven't added anything even close to those experiences, in the parks, resorts or even Downtown Disney.

Zippity-do-DAD

Why do you drink soda, or a milk shake, or anything that you enjoy? Probably because you like the taste, right? I haven't seen anyone here say "HOORAY!! I'm going to get wasted at MK!!!!"

I can tell you with 100% certainty that I have no qualms about walking around Key West at 12am, 1 am, 2am, 3am, or 4am alone. I have no hesitation or fear walking with a young child at 9-10pm down a one mile street that is bar after bar after bar there either. I would not do that in New Orleans, or where I currently live..or in most places. (some other areas of SoFla excluded). Alcohol doesn't equal violence. The tone of an environment attracts people to it. Different places have different tones. WDW is a family environment, drinking is not the reason for going, it's just one more thing to enjoy while there.

So the mob we saw at Epcot last week with the shirts on that said Every Person Comes Out Toasted (acronym EPCOT), had nothing to do with beer? That's a relief! I thought those "Drinking around the world" shirts at Epcot were referring to booze, but now that you've clarified it for me, I feel so much better.

21stamps

So the mob we saw at Epcot last week with the shirts on that said Every Person Comes Out Toasted (acronym EPCOT), had nothing to do with beer? That's a relief! I thought those "Drinking around the world" shirts at Epcot were referring to booze, but now that you've clarified it for me, I feel so much better.
How many did you see? Were the majority of people wearing them, or in actuality was it a small minority of people wearing those shirts?

The bigger question is-- are those few and far between shirts harming you?

GoofGoof

Premium Member
No, I know you're not. You're having a discussion, not throwing out ridiculous statements, there's a difference.

I think it's funny that this thread turned from "people who consume alcohol are heathens" to "children are heathens" and now to "OMG how could someone take a child in a lounge at WDW?"
I think it boils down to this-- you have some odd and bad mannered people out there. Alcohol or not some people just have no respect for others. Then you have other people who are judgmental and can't see outside of their own little box..

I have experienced plenty of obnoxious kids and rude adults at WDW, unfortunately I think it's going to appear on everyone's trip..just hopefully not during a meal at a place with or without alcohol. I've been lucky that I haven't seen it at a lounge, I'm sorry that you have...I wouldn't be a happy camper at that point either.
It's 2 different topics.

Topic 1 - There are people who don't want alcohol in MK because of bad behavior or it's evil or whatever the reason. I don't know if it's necessarily that "all people who consume alcohol are heathens" but more that these people don't want to see the bad seeds who get drunk and cause problems.

Topic 2 - There are not enough adult only getaways at WDW. Again, it's not that "all children are heathens" but just like the alcohol in the parks there are some bad seeds (really it's bad parents) who let their kids run around out of control and/or ruin the vibe of a bar/lounge.

Where the 2 topics are connected I guess is that some people feel if there were more adult only drinking spots then adults wouldn't need alcohol in the parks. I think that is probably a stretch. It would be pretty easy to have both without impacting the vast majority of people's experience.

As far as kids acting up in lounges, it happens. It's not exclusive to lounges/bars. It's possible they will act up pretty much anywhere but especially in places that are not appropriate for kids. It's not really even about the kids acting up, it's more about having a guaranteed adult only place if you desire it. Even though most nights the lounge may not have kids and even if there are kids there they most likely will behave fine it's still not the same as guaranteed kid free.

Disneyhead'71

Ummm, Disney has been selling alcohol in it's parks since 1967. But only rich folk could drink in Walt's park. Hard liquor and all. Poor people. as in non-millionaires, weren't permitted to consume alcohol in Walt's park.

The only time there is flagrant debauchery is during Epcot's Annual "Get Yo Drink On" Fest.

21stamps

I don't see what the problem is, alcohol in Disney Parks has never been an ....

... never mind, go about your business, nothing to see here.

That's exactly the point. 1 person. Out of millions. Which, I don't know, wouldn't you call that a "minority of people"?

@BuddyThomas I read your trip report..you consumed alcohol, 1 or 2 glasses anyway... how many walls did you try to climb?

Zippity-do-DAD

How many did you see? Were the majority of people wearing them, or in actuality was it a small minority of people wearing those shirts?

The bigger question is-- are those few and far between shirts harming you?

Didn't count, but I guess my point is, how many of the "few", inebriated does it take to ruin it for the "many" non inebriated? It's not an even swap you know. (Remember, I live in LA;) Concerning the shirts "harming", (kind of a odd ?), but your statement if you recall said people don't come to get wasted. I presented the fact that there were many who proudly declared via their shirts that you were indeed wrong again. I'm sorry bud, but you cannot factually make the case that alcohol is a good idea, other than "I like the taste of it". I drink sweet tea because I "like the taste", but my sweet tea hasn't been directly linked to so much tragedy and destruction. Just look at how alcohol is portrayed in Pinnochio, that's what Disney once taught kids. And aftsr drinking they eventually turned into..............?

Disneyhead'71

Me, upon hearing this news!
dITfJcR.gif

21stamps

Didn't count, but I guess my point is, how many of the "few", inebriated does it take to ruin it for the "many" non inebriated? It's not an even swap you know. (Remember, I live in LA;) Concerning the shirts "harming", (kind of a odd ?), but your statement if you recall said people don't come to get wasted. I presented the fact that there were many who proudly declared via their shirts that you were indeed wrong again. I'm sorry bud, but you cannot factually make the case that alcohol is a good idea, other than "I like the taste of it". I drink sweet tea because I "like the taste", but my sweet tea hasn't been directly linked to so much tragedy and destruction. Just look at how alcohol is portrayed in Pinnochio, that's what Disney once taught kids. And aftsr drinking they eventually turned into..............?

Ok bud. You got me. I'm sorry that you view drinking an alcoholic beverage as something that automatically turns into destruction and/or tragedy. I really am.
No, I don't think those people were at Epcot for the sole purpose of drinking. There are plenty of less expensive places to go if your only intention is getting drunk. I'm also sorry that your judgement of them leads you to assume that.
What I am most sorry for though, is that you could let a few drunk people ruin your time. You're not stuck in a locked room with them. If you see one-walk on by, and continue having a magical day.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Not gonna lie, it's disappointing to watch the slow demise of the Disney brand through cash grabbing stunts like this. The real disappointment though, was the phased in approach via BOG as if we were expected to believe it would stop there. Decisions of this magnitude are NEVER neutral, and will adversely effect the quality of the parks.
So do you only visit MK at WDW currently? Is AK a drunk fest with violent crime and all the horrible things that come with drinking alcohol? How about DHS? I'll give you the urban legend around EPCOT being a drunk fest since it's not worth that argument. I'll let you in on a little secret, there are plenty of people in MK today that have consumed alcohol. It's quite easy to leave the park and go to a monorail resort or drink before you arrive.

Since BOG started serving alcohol has it negatively impacted the park? When did Disney ever tell you that this would only be BOG forever? It's not like we weren't all expecting this to come. Since you are full of stats on the evils of alcohol how many of those crimes were committed by someone having a beer or glass of wine at dinner. For the average adult a single drink isn't even going to put you over the legal limit to drive.

zulemara

In the Parks
Yes
I tried that comment...it didn't go over well. Apparently WDW has all kinds of such places

zulemara

In the Parks
Yes
As far as the topic at hand, it is not fear of guests getting belligerent in MK that I'm concerned with, it's the fact that WALT SAID NO!!!

Ok, DL has Club 33 and MK has BoG. No, the world didn't end, but why push it? They tried to play off BoG as "it fits the theme" when in fact it's nothing more than a money grab and lack of respect for the history of the parks and the man who created them. On the one hand they just lllooovvveeee to use Walt's name when it's convenient, then turn around and deface it on the other.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom