Alcohol in the Magic Kingdom

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
Wikipedia
The Impact of Alcohol. ... About 3 million violent crimes occur each year in which victims perceive the offender to have been drinking and statistics related to alcohol use by violent offenders generally show that about half of all homicides and assaults are committed when the offender, victim, or both have been drinking. Jun 27, 2015

But this is such a great thing for the parks!
(Said no one.....that is sober)
3 million crimes... Is that worldwide? Or just here in the 'States? And there are how many people in the US... 330 million? So that's less than one percent of the population committing crimes "due to" alcohol...(totally ignoring their proclivity for committing those crimes in the first place)

So exactly how much more risk of exposure to alcohol-fueled violent crime will MK guests be facing? I can't say.

But in considering all the facts, in this case, they've had alcohol served in BOG now for over two years, with very few (if any) reported incidents due to that risk exposure. I think it's clear that the WDW Management sees very little additional exposure in opening up the four other TS venues to serving alcohol with meals. And you can bet they've already run this decision through Corporate, the lawyers, and security for their inputs as well. I'll trust their judgment on this one.

And since they own the venue, they can turn off the taps as quickly as they were turned on in the event things go south.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
If only they had an adult entertainment area where people could gather for adult-oriented shows, with drinks and heavy snacks... you know, like maybe a re-creation of a 1930's-style Adventurer's Club, or some kind of Improv Comedy Warehouse venue... ;)
It all comes back to this for me. PI was the perfect place to attract adults and keep them happy at night.
I don't see what the problem is, alcohol in Disney Parks has never been an ....

... never mind, go about your business, nothing to see here.

...to be fair though I'm guessing he didn't just have a beer or 2 at dinner at BOG.

Zippity-do-DAD

This image represents just how far Disney has come. Then, they painted Pinnochio as a fool, that became something quite contrary to what he once was. How did they illustrate this lapse in judgement......alcohol. This may end up being prophetic to the direction of the parks.

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    286.7 KB · Views: 62

Disone

I am surprised at the hostility shown towards each other on this thread. Regardless of where you stand on this policy, did we not all see this coming when BOG opened with beer and wine during Dinner?

I immediately wondered why not the other full service restaurants did not do so at the same time and so assumed it was a test and wondered how long before the rest followed. Frankly it took a lot longer then I expected. In that time frame I have been to BOG a handful of times.... lets call it five times for dinner, and not once did I see a drunk person. Its kind of hard to get drunk eating a full meal and drinking a glass or two (of a beer or wine) at the same time. I am sure it has happen, but my points is its just not frequent, and frankly its happen before BOG via smuggling in their own liquor.

I really did think that if BOG is going to do it, Cinderella's Royal Table should have too, at least offer a sparkling wine. So I 100% approve that move. Not sure Tony's needed it. And for Skippers, I would have offered Beer and a 2 or 3 JC themed mixed drinks, again only with dinner.

Overall I approve of the changes. What I would not approved of open alcohol sales in the park outside of the full service establishments. I am not sure why though. I have no issue with it at Epcot, DCA, DHS, or DAK. I think more then anything I enjoy NOT having it at the MK because it is what I am use to and a view it has a Walt Heritage Piece. It has nothing to do with my views as a person who chooses to drink, and again I am surprised at the hate exchange I see on here in that regard.

Zippity-do-DAD

3 million crimes... Is that worldwide? Or just here in the 'States? And there are how many people in the US... 330 million? So that's less than one percent of the population committing crimes "due to" alcohol...(totally ignoring their proclivity for committing those crimes in the first place)

So exactly how much more risk of exposure to alcohol-fueled violent crime will MK guests be facing? I can't say.

But in considering all the facts, in this case, they've had alcohol served in BOG now for over two years, with very few (if any) reported incidents due to that risk exposure. I think it's clear that the WDW Management sees very little additional exposure in opening up the four other TS venues to serving alcohol with meals. And you can bet they've already run this decision through Corporate, the lawyers, and security for their inputs as well. I'll trust their judgment on this one.

And since they own the venue, they can turn off the taps as quickly as they were turned on in the event things go south.

Just saying, other than the possible "financial angle", I don't see this as being a good idea. I don't understand (doesn't mean you have to agree) how anyone can look at the big picture and see this as a good idea. With that being said, I guess only time will tell. I just can't see this as an improvement to the atmosphere that has made the parks what they were.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
I just can't see this as an improvement to the atmosphere that has made the parks what they were.
Clearly, many of the management team's recent decisions haven't been made with this as a priority consideration.

I understand your concerns, and firmly believe that if it becomes a problem, alcohol will go away as quickly as it appeared.

Zippity-do-DAD

Clearly, many of the management team's recent decisions haven't been made with this as a priority consideration.

I understand your concerns, and firmly believe that if it becomes a problem, alcohol will go away as quickly as it appeared.

I agree, and for what it's worth, I appreciate the constructive tone of your reply .

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Just saying, other than the possible "financial angle", I don't see this as being a good idea. I don't understand (doesn't mean you have to agree) how anyone can look at the big picture and see this as a good idea. With that being said, I guess only time will tell. I just can't see this as an improvement to the atmosphere that has made the parks what they were.
It's an improvement for someone who enjoys a glass of wine or a beer with dinner. I get that you don't drink so it doesn't improve things for you, but a lot of others do. Not everyone drinks alcohol just to get drunk.

Zippity-do-DAD

It's an improvement for someone who enjoys a glass of wine or a beer with dinner. I get that you don't drink so it doesn't improve things for you, but a lot of others do. Not everyone drinks alcohol just to get drunk.
I do see your point. I guess for all of us we weigh things out and make a decision based on which way we see the scales tip. (For me), the risk vs reward doesn't add up. I see what's presented as a "pro" to the decision as those who enjoy drinking get that opportunity. Although I don't agree with it as a "pro", I see the point. The "con", (once again for me), is that Disney is promoting something very "not kid friendly" openly in an atmosphere that atleast gives the appearance of "kid friendly". I think that this paints more of a picture of alcohol acceptance to kids, when a place that is home to so many of their "heroes" places it's stamp of approval. I know everyone won't see it that way. I believe that because of their reach into so many homes around the world, they have a tremendous responsibility on the moral end to err on the side of caution into what they put their stamp of approval on.

Disneyhead'71

I do see your point. I guess for all of us we weigh things out and make a decision based on which way we see the scales tip. (For me), the risk vs reward doesn't add up. I see what's presented as a "pro" to the decision as those who enjoy drinking get that opportunity. Although I don't agree with it as a "pro", I see the point. The "con", (once again for me), is that Disney is promoting something very "not kid friendly" openly in an atmosphere that atleast gives the appearance of "kid friendly". I think that this paints more of a picture of alcohol acceptance to kids, when a place that is home to so many of their "heroes" places it's stamp of approval. I know everyone won't see it that way. I believe that because of their reach into so many homes around the world, they have a tremendous responsibility on the moral end to err on the side of caution into what they put their stamp of approval on.
Alcohol IS acceptable. You don't seem to get that.

Are you, by chance, an Evangelical Christian?

King Racoon 77

Thank you sir. You were an inspiration.
Premium Member
That's exactly the point. 1 person. Out of millions. Which, I don't know, wouldn't you call that a "minority of people"?

@BuddyThomas I read your trip report..you consumed alcohol, 1 or 2 glasses anyway... how many walls did you try to climb?
I believe its not how many walls he climbed but more of how many clothes remained on ...

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Fair enough. I see your point of view and I think where we disagree is that I don't see alcohol consumption itself as evil or wrong. It's the abuse of alcohol that leads to the problems. I know it's not a perfect analogy, but driving a car is not by itself a bad thing, but driving too fast or driving while texting can cause accidents and result in injury or death.

I drink alcohol responsibly in front of my kids on a regular basis. They are learning from a young age that adults can and should be able to consume alcohol responsibly. When we ate at BOG I had a beer while we ate dinner. It wasn't a big deal for my kids to see since I will often have beer or wine when we go out to dinner. I get that not everyone wants their kids to see people consuming alcohol, but I'm not sure that is necessarily a good reason to not have it either. Should we ban all meat from restaurants because vegans don't want their kids to see people eating meat? Maybe they need to keep a few places alcohol free for people who are against it, but I'm not sure there are enough of them to make it worth while financially.

Zippity-do-DAD

I'm not blind to the fact that sometimes, people, entities, and even vacation spots, lol, move in different directions, sometimes away from where we might be comfortable. I also understand that there may come a time where a line is crossed into places that I can no longer follow at all. I may truly be in the minority that opposes this decision. If this is the case, then I guess I have the responsibility to either "get with the program", or "get out" so to speak. I think I was just genuinely surprised at how quickly this was accepted, with seemingly very little resistance. Sometimes I guess, "The World", does pass you by.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
I'm not blind to the fact that sometimes, people, entities, and even vacation spots, lol, move in different directions, sometimes away from where we might be comfortable. I also understand that there may come a time where a line is crossed into places that I can no longer follow at all. I may truly be in the minority that opposes this decision. If this is the case, then I guess I have the responsibility to either "get with the program", or "get out" so to speak. I think I was just genuinely surprised at how quickly this was accepted, with seemingly very little resistance. Sometimes I guess, "The World", does pass you by.

There are quite a few who disagree with this decision...but not for the reason you do...

21stamps

Speaking for myself only, these 2 comments make a lot more sense to me than reciting how many violent crimes are committed due to alcohol..and alluding to WDW become ridden with crime bc of table service restaurants serving alcohol.
I can see your concerns without agreeing with them...they can be understood without being outlandish.

Disneyhead'71

My guess is that you see alcohol anywhere as a negative.

Disone

Last time I ate there, I surely could have used a glass of Chianti (without the fava beans, please ;) ) to wash down my chicken parmigiana.
You're not kidding. Totally get that. Tony's is horrible. They should require you to have two solid mixed drinks prior to your food arriving! Or they should offer better meals. I think it is time Tony's got an complete redo from Kitchen to Wall to head Chef.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom