Alcohol in the Magic Kingdom

Ricky Spanish

I know of at least 4 people in my close friends circle that honeymooned at WDW, no kids. It is supposed to be for all ages, not just kids. Hence Height Requirements. Your arguments are invalid. I don't think it will turn into drunkytown any time soon, unless they introduce the magical hangover package (yours for only $199.99, no refunds, no rainchecks)
Does that include an open bar?
And will it be available when I'm there in June.:D

Zippity-do-DAD

The Disney parks have been selling alcohol for, what, 30 years? And how many violent alcoholic homicides have occurred in that time?
Selling adults glasses of wine in table-service restaurants does not equate to an increase in violent crime at WDW.

The point is simple. I'm not trying to change your mind, so relax you can keep your booze. I'm stating an opinion (because this is a forum), that Alcohol is not an improvement. (Cue the drunk jokes).

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
IMO, yes.

FWIW. I do drink at WDW. It's one of my favorite pastimes. I like not having BUD LIGHT all over the Magic Kingdom though.

Why? Is it more about you thinking it will ruin the over feel and charm of the park? Or do you think everyone just plans on getting drunk and being idiots? I assume the former?

Rodan75

Wikipedia
The Impact of Alcohol. ... About 3 million violent crimes occur each year in which victims perceive the offender to have been drinking and statisticsrelated to alcohol use by violent offenders generally show that about half of all homicides and assaults are committed when the offender, victim, or both have been drinking. Jun 27, 2015

But this is such a great thing for the parks!
(Said no one.....that is sober)

LOL...you may be allowing your perceptions be clouded by the fact that you live in nearly the most alcoholic state in the union, although I do miss living in LA where you could buy liquor at nearly any store at any time...and those drive-thru Daquiri Bars...hmmmm.

Most adults can handle a drink and don't drink to get drunk. There will always be exceptions and those must be managed well. Disney thinks they can manage this, that doesn't mean that the MK will devolve into Bourbon Street.

Otterhead

Why? Is it more about you thinking it will ruin the over feel and charm of the park?
It just isn't classy. There's a place for cheap beer, and it isn't Fantasyland. One thing Disney has always done well is know how to work with the theme and feel of a place; sure, there's beer at Animal Kingdom, but it's African beers or their own custom made brew sold in nice cups, not Bud Light longnecks. I think folks carrying around bottles of beer would really ruin the charming childlike feeling of the Magic Kingdom. There's ways to do anything right or wrong.

21stamps

It just isn't classy. There's a place for cheap beer, and it isn't Fantasyland. One thing Disney has always done well is know how to work with the theme and feel of a place; sure, there's beer at Animal Kingdom, but it's African beers or their own custom made brew sold in nice cups, not Bud Light longnecks. I think folks carrying around bottles of beer would really ruin the charming childlike feeling of the Magic Kingdom. There's ways to do anything right or wrong.
Child leashes and Entitled obnoxious people- Classy.
A wine with dinner? Total trash.

For what it's worth, I don't want to see bud light bottles all over. I still would like to see rum in my dole whip float though... ;)

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
Why? Is it more about you thinking it will ruin the over feel and charm of the park? Or do you think everyone just plans on getting drunk and being idiots? I assume the former?
Little of both to be honest. Mainly the former though. For whatever reason, I like MK being a dry park. I can accept TS serving beer and wine.(saves me a trip to the resort restaurants I guess) I just don't want it all over QS and Kiosks.

Otterhead

I still would like to see rum in my dole whip float though...
Oh, me too! I dearly love getting those at Animal Kingdom. In an ideal world I could get a dole whip float with rum and enjoy it inside the Tiki Room. Or, I dunno, a "jug" of Bear Moonshine to enjoy at the Country Bear Jamboree.

Zippity-do-DAD

LOL...you may be allowing your perceptions be clouded by the fact that you live in nearly the most alcoholic state in the union, although I do miss living in LA where you could buy liquor at nearly any store at any time...and those drive-thru Daquiri Bars...hmmmm.

Most adults can handle a drink and don't drink to get drunk. There will always be exceptions and those must be managed well. Disney thinks they can manage this, that doesn't mean that the MK will devolve into Bourbon Street.

I'm so glad you brought up the fact that I live in Louisiana. (I commend your detective skills into my profile, all those years of watching Matlock has paid off for you). Seeing that I do live in Louisiana, a very alcoholic state, would that not mean that, I more so than you can attest to the tragic consequences of alcohol? I mean I appreciate you helping me prove my point, but you put way more confidence in alcohol and its "responsible" participants than I would.

21stamps

I know of at least 4 people in my close friends circle that honeymooned at WDW, no kids. It is supposed to be for all ages, not just kids. Hence Height Requirements. Your arguments are invalid. I don't think it will turn into drunkytown any time soon, unless they introduce the magical hangover package (yours for only $199.99, no refunds, no rainchecks)
Height requirements actually have nothing to do with what age someone should visit WDW. They have to do with the safety of the specific ride. Said "safety requirements" are MUCH different now than when I was a child. I was riding things at 3 that my son couldn't do until 6.

"All ages" is exactly what it means - All Ages. Adults and Children enjoying the same space. Don't know why there is so much confusion with those 2 words.

Wikipedia
The Impact of Alcohol. ... About 3 million violent crimes occur each year in which victims perceive the offender to have been drinking and statisticsrelated to alcohol use by violent offenders generally show that about half of all homicides and assaults are committed when the offender, victim, or both have been drinking. Jun 27, 2015

But this is such a great thing for the parks!
(Said no one.....that is sober)

Wow. That is one mighty leap.

blueslegend

Do you think if I get one of those new Cabana things at MK I can ask them to stock the fridge with beer? It's a plan methinks.

Come on guys.....Satan hasn't suddenly landed, a drink with a meal, a beer on Halloween, a toast at Christmas. Is it really that bad? In fact after a morning in the parks, a few drinks around the pool in the afternoon and then preparing for a nice evening meal I stopped going to MK. Cold turkey simply wasn't enjoyable.

I pay $1000's and it is a holiday.......isn't it?

ThemeParkJunkee

I am actually pleased with this. It was always difficult to get DH to stay in MK for meals due the the restrictions. I stalked a BOG dinner ADR for our last trip so he would stay for the fireworks for once. He was so pleased to share a bottle of wine over a relaxing dinner in a great atmosphere. The experience called to mind our Blue Bayou meal at DL a couple of years prior. Great atmosphere, good food and a glass of tapwater. It was a letdown after a day in the park. Now we can try out Skipper Canteen for a change of pace. This will be nice. We travel childless.

21stamps

I'm so glad you brought up the fact that I live in Louisiana. (I commend your detective skills into my profile, all those years of watching Matlock has paid off for you). Seeing that I do live in Louisiana, a very alcoholic state, would that not mean that, I more so than you can attest to the tragic consequences of alcohol? I mean I appreciate you helping me prove my point, but you put way more confidence in alcohol and its "responsible" participants than I would.

I lived in Key West, Fl and have been visiting regularly ever since. There's just a couple of places to buy an adult beverage there...

Check out the crime in that place.

Taking a conch shell from the beach.
Keeping more fish than allowed.
Oh the violence!!! It's atrocious!!

Zippity-do-DAD

Height requirements actually have nothing to do with what age someone should visit WDW. They have to do with the safety of the specific ride. Said "safety requirements" are MUCH different now than when I was a child. I was riding things at 3 that my son couldn't do until 6.

"All ages" is exactly what it means - All Ages. Adults and Children enjoying the same space. Don't know why there is so much confusion with those 2 words.

Wow. That is one mighty leap.

Only if you are short sighted. (For instance):
1.) No alcohol in parks
2.) In all parks BUT Magic Kingdom
3.) In magic Kingdom BUT only B.O.G.
4.) OK, outside BOG but only table service......
5.) Next........You fill in the blank
So how many baby steps equal a "mighty leap"?..............
No I don't rationally think Disney will evolve into some 3rd world drunken apocolypse. I am just in awe at the celebration of something that very often has negative consequences. Seems sadly short sighted.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom