Alcohol in the Magic Kingdom

Luxe

First of all, let me put this out there, I am NOT at all saying that my child walks around with a halo on his head (except for last night during his Christmas play ;) ) The horns come out sometimes..and when they do, we aren't going to dinner anywhere. Lounge atmosphere or not.

Just using my own personal example here, and maybe I'm alone in this, but I would think there may be some other similar families..
You watched my crazy planning for this trip.. I ended up canceling 90% of it. I chose lobster sliders by the pool over 1900 PF brunch, Territory Lounge over Chef Mickey, the Afternoon Tea (that I spent two months trying to get) for GF Cafe Take Out and many more. Here's why- last year we packed in the character meals 1-2 per day over 9 days, 3rd day- meltdown, luckily in the room..but it was full on toddler style meltdown, the first I had seen in years. This prompted me to have my own meltdown, leaving a sleeping tear stained child in bed and me sobbing in the restroom. I looked at our plans on while on ME, I missed the stupid "welcome" sign (which apparently upset my kid) and I was afraid of a repeat of 2015.

There's days when after the park I just didn't feel like either of us could handle getting ready and rushing to a reservation, sitting for a long time to be seated, and then be a loud atmosphere as we just were at the park. The lounges provide us with a place to relax, have a beverage, eat good food, and then leave within 45-60 mins at most. It actually felt like a "real" vacation. On our Chef Mickey night kiddo surprisingly said he didn't want to go, a few hours before the reservation. So I cancelled, we stopped in Territory Lounge, shared 2 apps, and then went and changed into our bathing suits, getting pizza later on when we were a little more hungry after the pool. That evening couldn't have happened with Chef Mickey's..and sure, we could have gone to Roaring Fork to begin with, but it's also, loud, hectic, and no mixed drinks for me.lol The lounges provide another dining option without having to stick to a strict schedule, I would hate to see that go away. I don't think parents should camp out in a lounge for multiple hours, but if you're there for 1 drink and an app then I don't believe the child is causing a problem. Their $11 drink is the same price as someone's beer, and their food is the same price as anyone else's. The server's tip isn't effected either. I said earlier in this thread, by not offering children's menus you are already eliminating several families...the same way that most nice steakhouse are never "over run" with kids. Sure, a few may be in one, but they will most likely never be the majority.

I'm fine with a few adult only places, I don't agree that children shouldn't be in any of the lounges at all.

I did the DDP last year and ended up paying oop on several meals..didn't do the math, and don't care to, but have no idea if I used it correctly or not. This year I have an AP, several restaurants have discounts with the AP, DDP didn't make sense. I did have it for the last 3 nights of our trip unfortunately...at checkout I was left with - 3QS, 1 TS, 3 Snacks. So basically I just threw money away for no reason. Do the dining plan if it suits you, it didn't suit me this past trip.
Someone mentioned earlier in this thread that you could always take an uber or taxi to a nice family friendly lounge off property. That's an option that sounds like it would fit your needs perfectly. Big thanks to whoever mentioned it, you should message them and say thanks.

21stamps

I think there should be a mix of both as well, because like we've said before every family vacations differently. I agree with everyone saying there should be a few more adults only options. WDW is so big that it needs all sorts of options for all sorts of families
Agreed. I think maybe it makes sense to add another with the time restrictions at the Contemporary, and a few others just being adult only at places like the Boardwalk or Disney Springs. I don't think the monorail resorts need to have several of them. There's so many lounge options already.
Someone mentioned earlier in this thread that you could always take an uber or taxi to a nice family friendly lounge off property. That's an option that sounds like it would fit your needs perfectly. Big thanks to whoever mentioned it, you should message them and say thanks.
You're borderline obsessive.

Tony the Tigger

I couldn't disagree with you more. Like other posters have said the number isn't 3. It's like 1.5. And we are talking about "millions" of people that come to WDW every year and you think having 1.5 places that are adults only for a few hours a night are enough? You have huge groups of people that come to WDW without kids. And if I want to stay on property and get away from all the strollers and backpacks and screaming there should be plenty of places for me to choose from. My hope is that the Edison is going to be like the one in LA if so no kids belong there at all. And by having more adult places isn't going to impact people with kids. Because there will still be more stuff for parents to do with their kids then they will have time for.

I should point out the last thing you're going to do as a goal at Victoria and Alberts is to get smashed.

dothebrdwalk

This is super rude. Disney is for the kids. Gotta find a new vacation destination bro.

21stamps

Sounds like you've figured out how to do WDW, 21stamps. :) We've gotten more relaxed over the years, too. It just makes it so much better when you stop worrying about missing out on something and just do what's fun at the moment...to the extent you can.
If really was such a different trip than the last!! Not that last time wasn't great, just that this one actually felt like we had a good amount of laid back time!! It was so nice not to be sprinting from one reservation to the next.
I have to give a shout out to @epcotisbest. His trip reports and advice helped me more than I even realized at the time that I read them.

Re: The MK news. Hooray!!! This is good news.

danyoung56

I'd like to contribute to this thread from the viewpoint of a serious drinker. I do very much enjoy a glass or 2 of wine with a nice dinner, and the current policy has meant that I pretty much never have dinner in the MK. I enjoyed a very nice dinner shortly after BOG opened, and the wine made the meal much more special. So I see this as a good thing, allowing something that much more resembles fine dining than a quick dinner in a theme park.

As to the serious drinking, however, I'm not sure that I'd be comfortable with a lounge opening up in the MK. And this is from a guy who has spent many pleasant hours in the Rose & Crown Pub in Epcot and the Tune In Lounge in the Studios. Trust me - there's nothing like being a little loopy and watching fireworks! But of course one needs to monitor one's own behavior. I am never one of those sloppy drunks who yells profanity while sweating all over all the kids I can get close to. I guess I know my limits, where obviously some people do not. Still, I think the drinking vibe can work well in Epcot, not so well in the MK. I wouldn't at all mind if Disney limited alcohol in the MK to beer & wine in the finer restaurants like they're doing now. If I want to get a snootful I can always take a monorail to the Contemporary. Or the Poly. Or the GF.

flynnibus

Premium Member
This is a pet peeve of mine - when did it become socially acceptable to let your kids run around like hellions (or create any other sort of excessive noisy disturbance)? It's also why I have no problem with having certain areas of WDW adults only (or limits for older kids), whether it's a restaurant/ lounge with alcohol or not.

Last two movies I've been in had this problem. Kids literally hanging on the railings in the walkways... rummaging around OUT of their seats... hanging over the row in front of them... and parents doing nothing. These were like 5-6yr olds too... not 3yr olds.

There are some stereotypes I can make about the demographics in my area... but I won't let people elsewhere get worked up about it

MinnieWaffles

No, no it isn't. Certainly wasn't built that way, even if today's WDW has been usurped by pre-schoolers. (And arrested development adults, but that is for another thread!)

Here is the Contemporary's Top of the World as it was meant to be. Stylish, elegant, mature.

top-of-the-world-lounge-2.png

top-of-the-world-lounge-1.jpg

You need to just stop.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom