Alcohol in the Magic Kingdom

King Capybara 77

Thank you sir. You were an inspiration.
Premium Member
No, I said 'hellions'. By definition, a 'rowdy, mischievous, or troublemaking person, especially a child'. And I'm critical of that because I'm usually the (sole) parent monitoring the kids to make sure that no one gets hurt, or entertaining them so they don't get out of control. I have no qualms about telling kids to knock it off when they get out of control. It's obviously not a problem limited to WDW, but I see no reason why there shouldn't be a few places at WDW where adults can relax knowing (small) children won't be there. They do have 'baby centers' (ie a quiet place away from the theme park stimulation); turnabout is fair play IMO.

ETA: If there are places designated for children, why shouldn't there be some for adults?
I have seen some that were heathens and hellions

Otterhead

we found the new lounge at Mcguffins in the Animal Kingdom
You mean the Nomad Lounge at Tiffins?
It's a beautiful spot. Like you said, very quiet as it's in a little cul-de-sac that'll eventually be extremely well traveled when Pandora opens.
Joe Rohde designed that place to be the "spiritual successor to the Adventurer's Club" -- it's full of messages people have written about their real-life adventures and the people they share them with.

21stamps

We were very fortunate our last trip there, we found the new lounge at Mcguffins in the Animal Kingdom... it was late afternoon, the lounge was empty... we had a lovely relaxing time there, and left in time to see The Awakening. Surprisingly there were absolutely no children or obnoxious adults. I guess since Pandora has not opened yet, it is a bit of a dead end and quiet...for now anyway.
Is Top of the World just set up differently than the others? What do people do when the kids are running around? I would hope that a cm would step in at that point. I don't care how much someone paid for their drink, room, or tickets..it doesn't give them a pass to wreck someone else's time.
No, I said 'hellions'. By definition, a 'rowdy, mischievous, or troublemaking person, especially a child'. And I'm critical of that because I'm usually the (sole) parent monitoring the kids to make sure that no one gets hurt, or entertaining them so they don't get out of control. I have no qualms about telling kids to knock it off when they get out of control. It's obviously not a problem limited to WDW, but I see no reason why there shouldn't be a few places at WDW where adults can relax knowing (small) children won't be there. They do have 'baby centers' (ie a quiet place away from the theme park stimulation); turnabout is fair play IMO.

Oh I wasn't quoting you, just commenting on the twist and turns of this thread. I've stated several times that I agree there should be a few places.. what I've been saying is- there are a few now, and one at DS or maybe at AKL, OKW, or SSR to give a little more balance and more choices for those seeking adult refuge.

I guess I just have a hard time understanding why anyone would want to bring a child acting obnoxious into a place where they are spending a minimum of $75 on a couple of appetizers and 2 drinks. I don't think they would be able to enjoy themselves either.

21stamps

You mean the Nomad Lounge at Tiffins?
It's a beautiful spot. Like you said, very quiet as it's in a little cul-de-sac that'll eventually be extremely well traveled when Pandora opens.
Joe Rohde designed that place to be the "spiritual successor to the Adventurer's Club" -- it's full of messages people have written about their real-life adventures and the people they share them with.

I'm not quite sure why the Garden View Lounge was so dead..but it's definitely one spot to get away from a crowded room.. my only issue with it is the lobby is so loud. Once you're seated though, close to the windows..then it's not as bad.lol

lentesta

Premium Member
More common at Top of the World.

This.

On a recent trip I couldn't find two seats at the bar areas of Citricos, Mizner's, or Top of the World between 9 pm and 10 pm because kids were occupying many of them.

There should be a few bars that become adult-only after 8 pm. Doesn't have to be all of them. But a couple on the monorail and a couple at the Epcot resorts would be a start.

Bocabear

Is Top of the World just set up differently than the others? What do people do when the kids are running around? I would hope that a cm would step in at that point. I don't care how much someone paid for their drink, room, or tickets..it doesn't give them a pass to wreck someone else's time.

Oh I wasn't quoting you, just commenting on the twist and turns of this thread. I've stated several times that I agree there should be a few places.. what I've been saying is- there are a few now, and one at DS or maybe at AKL, OKW, or SSR to give a little more balance and more choices for those seeking adult refuge.

I guess I just have a hard time understanding why anyone would want to bring a child acting obnoxious into a place where they are spending a minimum of $75 on a couple of appetizers and 2 drinks. I don't think they would be able to enjoy themselves either.
Most times I have been to the Top Of The World, the only staff member I see is the bartender and sometimes a waiter...and they never say anything to parents with out of control children... The thing about bad parents is, they are completely oblivious to their wild out of control screaming child and how it impacts other people... they are used to the noise level and seem immune...I really don't know, but they don't seem the least bit phased by their children ruining someone else's experience...

21stamps

This.

On a recent trip I couldn't find two seats at the bar areas of Citricos, Mizner's, or Top of the World between 9 pm and 10 pm because kids were occupying many of them.

There should be a few bars that become adult-only after 8 pm. Doesn't have to be all of them. But a couple on the monorail and a couple at the Epcot resorts would be a start.
Please don't give ideas to take Mizner's, The Outer Rim, Tambu, or Territory Lounge away. All are places to enjoy some decent light eats without a reservation and delicious beverages..in a setting where the person next to you isn't arguing with their server about dining credits.
You can have the others. Or maybe those 4 adult only after 10?

Courtney6682

This one isn't 21+, but definitely check out the new Champagne and Wine lounge at GF next time you are there. In 6 nights I did not see one child in there. You may see mine sometime though..but I promise he won't be crying or throwing food from our cheese board. ;)

I think this is the first thing we've disagreed on. I believe you when you say T is capable of behaving in adult like settings, I really do. My own child was like that. She was well behaved and I could bring her anywhere. She also ate all kinds of food, not just kids meals.

We flew to London when she was 6 and when we landed SEVERAL passengers approached me saying they didn't even know she was there and thanked me!

Back to my point..there will always be kids who can behave and act right...but there will ALWAYS be kids who can't and THAT'S what everyone here wants to avoid. We've all been somewhere where a parent just lets the kid act like an animal and doesn't have enough common sense to get up and leave with them. Can't happen if they're not allowed in there in the first place.

Luxe

Why? Is there something wrong with drinking alcohol in front of a child? These aren't bar stool pubs. There is food, music, and a nice atmosphere.

You mean like the one that's already there?
Again, the comment about not drinking and driving doesn't make sense. It would make sense to spread places sparingly around property if there is a high demand for it.

I'm thinking you guys are just commenting to argue..or attempt to anyway..the same way you appear on every thread to do the same. Go ahead and continue with the nonsense. :)
Go ahead and continue to be condescending in every thread.

I'm saying that adding more on the monorail line is a fine idea. More adult lounges and bars in general would be a great addition. In fact, add 6 more adult only lounges to the GF... how does that sound?

Luxe

Please don't give ideas to take Mizner's, The Outer Rim, Tambu, or Territory Lounge away. All are places to enjoy some decent light eats without a reservation and delicious beverages..in a setting where the person next to you isn't arguing with their server about dining credits.
You can have the others. Or maybe those 4 adult only after 10?
Right, because the dining plan is far below you... only for peasants and poors. Gimme a break, do you even read your posts before you type them or do you just verbal diarrhea onto your keyboard?

Sans Souci

This.

I had this issue in August at BoardWalk, where I was staying. It was nearly 10 PM. We decided to go the Belle Vue Lounge. There was nowhere to sit, but plenty of kids sitting around playing board games. So, we went to Abracadabar, again it was filled with parents with small kids and nowhere to sit. Did I mention it was almost 10 PM?

We finally went to the Crew's Cup. It wasn't the end of the world, but I would have liked to have stayed in my resort. I don't think that's an outrageous expectation. Additionally, I don't think I should have to get an Uber or get on a bus to Disney Springs to have a seat and enjoy an adult beverage.

The Empress Lilly

100% agree.....WDW is inherently a children's destination get over it.
No, no it isn't. Certainly wasn't built that way, even if today's WDW has been usurped by pre-schoolers. (And arrested development adults, but that is for another thread!)

Here is the Contemporary's Top of the World as it was meant to be. Stylish, elegant, mature.

top-of-the-world-lounge-2.png

top-of-the-world-lounge-1.jpg

21stamps

I think this is the first thing we've disagreed on. I believe you when you say T is capable of behaving in adult like settings, I really do. My own child was like that. She was well behaved and I could bring her anywhere. She also ate all kinds of food, not just kids meals.

We flew to London when she was 6 and when we landed SEVERAL passengers approached me saying they didn't even know she was there and thanked me!

Back to my point..there will always be kids who can behave and act right...but there will ALWAYS be kids who can't and THAT'S what everyone here wants to avoid. We've all been somewhere where a parent just lets the kid act like an animal and doesn't have enough common sense to get up and leave with them. Can't happen if they're not allowed in there in the first place.

First of all, let me put this out there, I am NOT at all saying that my child walks around with a halo on his head (except for last night during his Christmas play ;) ) The horns come out sometimes..and when they do, we aren't going to dinner anywhere. Lounge atmosphere or not.

Just using my own personal example here, and maybe I'm alone in this, but I would think there may be some other similar families..
You watched my crazy planning for this trip.. I ended up canceling 90% of it. I chose lobster sliders by the pool over 1900 PF brunch, Territory Lounge over Chef Mickey, the Afternoon Tea (that I spent two months trying to get) for GF Cafe Take Out and many more. Here's why- last year we packed in the character meals 1-2 per day over 9 days, 3rd day- meltdown, luckily in the room..but it was full on toddler style meltdown, the first I had seen in years. This prompted me to have my own meltdown, leaving a sleeping tear stained child in bed and me sobbing in the restroom. I looked at our plans on while on ME, I missed the stupid "welcome" sign (which apparently upset my kid) and I was afraid of a repeat of 2015.

There's days when after the park I just didn't feel like either of us could handle getting ready and rushing to a reservation, sitting for a long time to be seated, and then be a loud atmosphere as we just were at the park. The lounges provide us with a place to relax, have a beverage, eat good food, and then leave within 45-60 mins at most. It actually felt like a "real" vacation. On our Chef Mickey night kiddo surprisingly said he didn't want to go, a few hours before the reservation. So I cancelled, we stopped in Territory Lounge, shared 2 apps, and then went and changed into our bathing suits, getting pizza later on when we were a little more hungry after the pool. That evening couldn't have happened with Chef Mickey's..and sure, we could have gone to Roaring Fork to begin with, but it's also, loud, hectic, and no mixed drinks for me.lol The lounges provide another dining option without having to stick to a strict schedule, I would hate to see that go away. I don't think parents should camp out in a lounge for multiple hours, but if you're there for 1 drink and an app then I don't believe the child is causing a problem. Their $11 drink is the same price as someone's beer, and their food is the same price as anyone else's. The server's tip isn't effected either. I said earlier in this thread, by not offering children's menus you are already eliminating several families...the same way that most nice steakhouse are never "over run" with kids. Sure, a few may be in one, but they will most likely never be the majority.

I'm fine with a few adult only places, I don't agree that children shouldn't be in any of the lounges at all.
Right, because the dining plan is far below you... only for peasants and poors. Gimme a break, do you even read your posts before you type them or do you just verbal diarrhea onto your keyboard?

I did the DDP last year and ended up paying oop on several meals..didn't do the math, and don't care to, but have no idea if I used it correctly or not. This year I have an AP, several restaurants have discounts with the AP, DDP didn't make sense. I did have it for the last 3 nights of our trip unfortunately...at checkout I was left with - 3QS, 1 TS, 3 Snacks. So basically I just threw money away for no reason. Do the dining plan if it suits you, it didn't suit me this past trip.

Courtney6682

I'm fine with a few adult only places, I don't agree that children shouldn't be in any of the lounges at all.

I think there should be a mix of both as well, because like we've said before every family vacations differently. I agree with everyone saying there should be a few more adults only options. WDW is so big that it needs all sorts of options for all sorts of families

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom