Al Lutz: Tom Staggs stepping back and reconsidering many aspects of FLE

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
I have no inside information, but wasn't there talk on here that plans had already watered Mermaid down from a solid E to a C/D?

I haven't heard that about the DL version... It'll be interesting to see if the two versions differ.

The two are going to be the same, just with different exteriors. Both are $100 million attractions.

Loehnwulf

All I can say is its amazing more Disney fans aren't on Prozac, with the rumours and speculation..With the rollercoaster of emotions that rival anything they have at the parks and enough second guessing I've gone thru more mood swings than my pregnant wife trying to decide whats coming whats not coming, should I be happy or excited or disappointed. FLE is coming ..ok well FLE is coming but not to the degree we announced..ok FLE is more FL and less E than we expected..I think I have finally reached the point where I'll worry about whats at the parks when I get there and to heck with getting my hopes up about the future..This just in..Disney has scrapped Star Tours II upgrade do to budget constraints and guests will handed a cardboard cutout of a Star Speeder and told to "make believe"

aladdin2007

All I can say is its amazing more Disney fans aren't on Prozac, with the rumours and speculation..With the rollercoaster of emotions that rival anything they have at the parks and enough second guessing I've gone thru more mood swings than my pregnant wife trying to decide whats coming whats not coming, should I be happy or excited or disappointed. FLE is coming ..ok well FLE is coming but not to the degree we announced..ok FLE is more FL and less E than we expected..I think I have finally reached the point where I'll worry about whats at the parks when I get there and to heck with getting my hopes up about the future..This just in..Disney has scrapped Star Tours II upgrade do to budget constraints and guests will handed a cardboard cutout of a Star Speeder and told to "make believe"

oh man dont say that TDO would be all over it! :ROFLOL:

s8film40

I saw Tom Staggs a few times during his recent WDW visit. He did spend a lot of time going to the parks with his family. His son was talking about all of the attractions he enjoyed both at DL and WDW. It seems he definitely visitet WDW with the guest perspective in mind.

aladdin2007

I saw Tom Staggs a few times during his recent WDW visit. He did spend a lot of time going to the parks with his family. His son was talking about all of the attractions he enjoyed both at DL and WDW. It seems he definitely visitet WDW with the guest perspective in mind.

Wouldnt you love to be his kid??? I would be like daddy please have this built or do this etc etc. :sohappy:

Pioneer Hall

I heard that cardboard was cut...you are just going to close your eyes now and the nearby CM is going to beep like R2 (if they have the scheduling money).

Captain Chaos

Some of the alternate ideas will make a lot of people happy. It's not all doom and gloom - have faith.

TDO has given us nothing to have faith about... Just when we think a corner has turned. BAM!!! They slap us in the face again... The other issue is, they always have ideas... They just either A) never act on them or B) water them down to the lowest common denominator....

I'm planning on a trip in November and NOT ONE DAY will be spent in any WDW park or restaurant..... And I am not renewing my annual pass either...

DisneyParksFan1

Alright. I'm glad that Tom has decided to kind of re-imagine this whole thing. I commend him for that, but don't tell me that they won't put anything else in its place. I mean if they aren't then wordds can't describe how much faith I will lose in WDW. TDO just doesn't get the hint do they? Also, no offense to DL'ers, but the executives need to finish up with the DCA Expansion, and when they do, I think the Disneyland Resort will be able to hold up for a few years, when that time comes, I think it's time to stop worrying about DL and have the execs come over to WDW because we need more help now.

EDIT: And why in the world does TDO worry so much about spending and things like that? They have money to throw AWAY!!!!! It's the most visited park and its been that way for years!

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
TDO has given us nothing to have faith about... Just when we think a corner has turned. BAM!!! They slap us in the face again... The other issue is, they always have ideas... They just either A) never act on them or B) water them down to the lowest common denominator....

I'm planning on a trip in November and NOT ONE DAY will be spent in any WDW park or restaurant..... And I am not renewing my annual pass either...

When you look over the last 15 years, both DL and WDW have had their highs and lows. It always bounces back, just as DCA is seeing right now. People who constantly praise DL right now seem to forget how bad things were there a few years ago. There were some dark times out there.

Disney did not get WDW to where it is now by being stupid, and even though some people don't like some of the management, there is still enough common sense and creativity in there to get things on track. It will be done and done right.

HM Spectre

EDIT: And why in the world does TDO worry so much about spending and things like that? They have money to throw AWAY!!!!! It's the most visited park and its been that way for years!

I wouldn't say they have money to throw away but it's definitely a situation where TDO is being way too cautious with their spending. For some reason, it seems like they've forgotten that when you spend money, you make money. Doing legitimate refurbs, adding new attractions and keeping things fresh causes attendance to flow in.

When times are rougher than normal, the gut reaction is to batten down the hatches and keep spending as low as possible to compensate for a revenue drop. It shouldn't be cut to the point where parks suffer and get stale though, which is what is happening in various areas. Even in down years, there is still a point where you can cut spending but keep up the normal standard... TDO just hasn't seemed to figure where exactly that point is and in turn are erring on the side of caution... much to the detriment of the parks.

DisneyParksFan1

I wouldn't say they have money to throw away but it's definitely a situation where TDO is being way too cautious with their spending. For some reason, it seems like they've forgotten that when you spend money, you make money. Doing legitimate refurbs, adding new attractions and keeping things fresh causes attendance to flow in.

When times are rougher than normal, the gut reaction is to batten down the hatches and keep spending as low as possible to compensate for a revenue drop. It shouldn't be cut to the point where parks suffer and get stale though, which is what is happening in various areas. Even in down years, there is still a point where you can cut spending but keep up the normal standard... TDO just hasn't seemed to figure where exactly that point is and in turn are erring on the side of caution... much to the detriment of the parks.

Quoted for truth. You read my mind.

jt04

So I read this entire thread (and yes, it was painful) and I only learned one new fact that might shed new light on the FLE situation. And that fact is that Al is fat. Coincidentally so is Jim. If I was a cynic I'd say they don't want to see a bunch a face characters around who in real life are so out of their league. Or perhaps they even secretly envy.:lookaroun :lol:

That is if I was cynical.

Explains so much.

Class dismissed. :wave:

DisneyParksFan1

I love how Fat Al regularly criticizes Florida's guests and CMs as huge, sloppy, and fashion-challenged.

YES, the execs do need to spend more time in Florida. The DL/WDW dynamic was one thing Michael Eisner understood before he foolishly put Paul Pressler in charge of DL. Eisner dumped money into DL and WDW for over a decade, adding attractions and approving massive anniversary campaigns (DL's 35th and WDW's 25th). The company also featured several annual television specials with real A-list talent. Maintenance was superb, parades were regularly updated, and the general attitude was "build it and they will come." And people did. Eisner is the reason WDW became a destination vacation instead of just part of a trip to Florida.

I can't prove this, but I suspect Eisner's arrogance—he imagined himself a modern entertainment genius—also contributed to the high quality investment into WDW. He wanted the Florida Project to constantly outrank every other vacation destination because it deserved the praise, not because guests flocked there on pixie-driven nostalgia. Eisner assigned the best Imagineers and architects to WDW, eager to maintain the Disney tradition of "nothing but the best."

Of course, we all know what happened. Eisner wasn't a genius; he just hired the right people. Blinded with delusions of grandeur, he killed his accomplishments by stupidly micromanaging as many departments as possible, and overspending on "his" Magic Kingdom, DLP. Then he panicked and starting cutting costs in exactly the places he needed to keep spending money (films, American parks). He stopped taking risks, made every animated feature the same, and churned out DCA and HKDL. And now we're still dealing with those repercussions.

But I digress. Some of the execs need to take off their rose-colored, this-is-my-childhood-at-Disneyland glasses and invest in the Cash Cow that makes the American parks profitable—WDW. Walt knew the Florida Project would be bigger than DL could ever hope to be, and he was willing to move his company's operations to Florida. If Walt wasn't tethered by nostalgic feelings toward DL, Lasseter and Co. shouldn't be, either.

Come on, WDC. WDW is littered with closed restaurants, shows, and shops; barely-maintained rides; and execs whose business strategy is to ride somebody else's oiled machine into retirement. Give customers a new TDO leadership team that isn't afraid to commit to quality.

////////

To Staggs' credit, he isn't pulling the plug on FLE. He reportedly wants to spread the money to multiple attractions in the MK instead of investing it all into Princesses for Potty Trainers. It actually looks like several good things are on their way to Florida right now.

But TDO's decisions continue to undermine anyone else's good intentions: Lights of Winter, fewer Christmas offerings, less entertainment, Space Mountain's half-hearted refurb, overpriced table service restaurants, overpriced hard-ticket events, fewer perks at the hard-ticket events, no plan for PI, no upgrades to dark rides in the MK, the same day parade since 2000, etc. :(

O...M...G... THIS post right here, has to be the best on this thread! Thank you!!! Oh my goodness! I completely, %110 agree with you on the statement bolded in red, if only the execs could read this! This post moved me. Amazing!:sohappy: I commend you.

It truly is sad, the situation here at WDW.

Testtrack321

Tom is a smart guy from what I've seen, he wants something GOOD placed in that spot. I can see them pushing out one of the m&g with the ride and restaurant, but a new phase two will be put into development. It seems like everyone, from the board of directors imagineering didn't care for this expansion as it was created and pushed by Jay. I'm happy it's being looked at again (twice confirmed).

It's easier to build a-new than to tear down a mistake. Ask DCA.

jt04

O...M...G... THIS post right here, has to be the best on this thread! Thank you!!! Oh my goodness! I completely, %110 agree with you on the statement bolded in red, if only the execs could read this! This post moved me. Amazing!:sohappy:

I agree. Tirian nailed it. If they don't invest in WDW it will eventually kill the cash cow.

DisneyParksFan1

Tom is a smart guy from what I've seen, he wants something GOOD placed in that spot. I can see them pushing out one of the m&g with the ride and restaurant, but a new phase two will be put into development. It seems like everyone, from the board of directors imagineering didn't care for this expansion as it was created and pushed by Jay. I'm happy it's being looked at again (twice confirmed).

It's easier to build a-new than to tear down a mistake. Ask DCA.

Yes, that's true. I'm glad that Phase II will deal with all the expansion's problems.

Buried20KLeague

So I read this entire thread (and yes, it was painful) and I only learned one new fact that might shed new light on the FLE situation. And that fact is that Al is fat. Coincidentally so is Jim. If I was a cynic I'd say they don't want to see a bunch a face characters around who in real life are so out of their league. Or perhaps they even secretly envy.:lookaroun :lol:

That is if I was cynical.

Explains so much.

Class dismissed. :wave:

You didn't already know that?

I can't wait to see how you spin it if/when the FLE gets canned. Somehow you'll make it seem that's what you had said they'd do all along. :rolleyes:

We'll see Mermaid, and the restaurant. Mermaid because I'm sure a great amount of the AA's and interior stuff is already built, and the restaurant because... Well, it's obvious that's what TDO's happy to build. Things that directly impact the bottom line, like restaurants.

The question mark is what they'll do with all that other space... If anything.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom