Al Lutz: Carsland for WDW, FLE not Bringing in Guests

rle4lunch

You're right, I am retired, on a fixed income. I suppose that I can hop a plane and fly 3000 miles to California just as inexpensively as I can jump in my car and drive 600 miles to Florida. Sometimes what one would like to do and what one can do are two different things, but as soon as I win Power Ball, I'll be sure to head on out west. I'm happy for you that you are in that position.

In the meantime, if you can't bring Mohammad to the mountain, bring the mountain to Mohammad.

Or you could save up for a year and head out west instead of taking a trip to WDW to see the same exact things every year. gasp. lol.

SirLink

You're right, I am retired, on a fixed income. I suppose that I can hop a plane and fly 3000 miles to California just as inexpensively as I can jump in my car and drive 600 miles to Florida. Sometimes what one would like to do and what one can do are two different things, but as soon as I win Power Ball, I'll be sure to head on out west. I'm happy for you that you are in that position.

In the meantime, if you can't bring Mohammad to the mountain, bring the mountain to Mohammad.

From the UK, it can be cheaper to fly to Cali...well you could not go on holiday one year and save that money towards a trip out to Cali...I'm not exactly rich I'm not exactly poor... so ya know I save for big ticket items like holidays

TalkingHead

There are Little Mermaid billboards all over. They don't mention the ride, but it has Ariel and says New Fantasyland.

Gotcha. I only remembered seeing ones for "New Fantasyland," especially with the Beast. Weird it wouldn't mention the ride, since that's the major addition for most guests. But maybe TDO thinks the word "new" is enough to generate excitement.

jeff59rt

My 8 year old daughter is upset we are going to WDW this year, and not universal and sea world again. This may say something about the whole Disney idea! Can't wait to see how bumed she is when we get off little mermaid and I tell her that's the NEW ride.

TP2000

There was a rumor of a Luigi and Guido animatronic being put in the middle of the California version and they would move the tires around between cycles. Personally, I think they only way this could really work is a similar concept to Aquatopia where it can be a continuously loading attraction and the guests aren't really in control of the vehicle motion other than maybe spin control.

That's what Al Lutz said a few months ago would be happening to Luigi's Flying Tires. It's supposed to be installed by this summer?

If the Guido character shows up this summer and improves the ride by getting the tires moving faster, then maybe the Flying Tires could make it into the DHS version in time? There must be quite a huge basement facility under the thing to make it work though, and deep basements aren't cheap in Florida.

TP2000

Disney probably bought into their own social media hype machine.

I doubt that most Disney execs actually read the perky pablum that their Parks Blog writers push out each day.

That said, I bet there's an element of The Emperor Has No Clothes inside the halls of TDO. They are so removed from the reality inside the parks that many of them probably do believe the stuff they try to tell customers about the latest WDW thing.

TP2000

I will hold off my opinions on FLE until I visit it, but that's the thing: I have no desire to book a trip to visit FLE. Of course I would enjoy it, but there is nothing there to make me rush down to Orlando to see FLE. I will visit it whenever my next trip to WDW is and who knows when that is. If they built something extraordinary, I would push my family to vacation in WDW over the summer but now, we will probably go elsewhere for our vacation since the only new thing is FLE and I have no desire to go specifically for that.

The good news is that you are visiting DCA next month, and you'll be able to walk right on to the Little Mermaid ride there. If you go in the afternoon you'll have a 2 minute wait at most, if you go first thing in the morning when everyone else is running to Cars Land you can walk right on and have the whole ride to yourself.

Little Mermaid is the BIG NEW RIDE! for FLE, and the rest is just a shop, a snack bar, a restaurant, and a rethemed dressup of Mickey's Toontown Fair.

Ride the Little Mermaid at DCA next month and say "Well, that was kind of cute", and all you'll have left to do at WDW is stroll through FLE to look at facades and you can check the whole thing off your list and move on. :D

Adam5897

What I don't understand is that if they would spend a large amount on cars land to add to DHS then why would they cut some things out to save a little? It just makes the whole area have an unfinished feel and if they are going to spend the money to do at least half of it they should spend the rest to do the other half. Then when TDO doesn't get the numbers back that they want it will be a HUGE shock. And you thought they would learn with fantasyland and cars land at DCA what people really what and what makes money. I have been thinking about going to disneyland for my next few trips after my next wdw mostly because of cars land. If they were to clone cars land to wdw then people like me would have no desire to fly coast to coast to see something closer so that will hurt disneyland attendance. Even though it looks amazing and I love cars and i cannot wait to experience cars land when I go to disneyland I do not want it at wdw and would not be happy with it even if they put in the whole thing. The whole time I would be feeling bad for disneyland and how they no longer have something unique for people to go there for. I want something new. It doesn't take a genius to realize that what made cars land one of the most successful things in disney parks is its ability to immerse you into a movie so you feel like you are there with incredible themeing and a impressive E-Ticket. There are so many stories that could have those qualities of cars land and create the same success. The only way to make money is to spend money, and the only way to get new people to visit is to add new things.

TP2000

Cars Land will do well here, but the whole idea of this being the aftermath of underwhelming attendance for FLE is sad. Do you really think attendance will boost largely for a meet-and-greet, a restaurant, and a dark ride? Disney must have bought in to its own hype.

New Fantasyland is not a meet-and-greet, a restaurant, and a dark ride. It is the "LARGEST EXPANSION IN MAGIC KINGDOM HISTORY!"

Disney told me so. Repeatedly.

Goofyernmost

Or you could save up for a year and head out west instead of taking a trip to WDW to see the same exact things every year. gasp. lol.
From the UK, it can be cheaper to fly to Cali...well you could not go on holiday one year and save that money towards a trip out to Cali...I'm not exactly rich I'm not exactly poor... so ya know I save for big ticket items like holidays
Let me 'splain' something to you. All the money that I will ever have for the rest of my life (barring a little amount of dividends and social security) I currently have in my possession. Save up? Save it from what? Meals? Medicine? At my age, I am not about to postpone my having fun in order to wing on over to California to see Carsland. I will take my yearly visits to WDW because they are easily affordable. Others living on small incomes are also unable to justify spending that much money to experience a ride.

What I don't understand is why it is so important that attractions aren't in two places. Why would it possibly matter to you. There are many other attractions that are specific Park related, they don't all need to be. The bigger, more popular ones should be shared. No one is complaining about Jungle Cruise, Pirates, Small World, Space Mtn, Splash Mtn, Big Thunder Mtn, Soarin or ToT or many of the others that are also featured in DL and in WDW. It's hardly precedent setting.

Can you imagine what would happen at DLR if all of the WDW Guests were to show up there? It wouldn't be pretty.

wdwfan4ver

I am not shocked that FLE isn't bringing in new guest. Fantasyland to me was the last part of Magic Kingdom that needed improvement even if FLE wasn't done cheaply. Tomorrowland needed help.

The truth was when FLE was announced in 2009,I though MK was the last of the 4 parks that really needed help. While Star Tours was announced and American Idol experience was a new attraction that year, A lot of DHS needed help including Fantasmic needing upgrades that it still didn't receive due to TDO being cheap.

AK also needed help in 2009. While Expedition Everest was opened in 2006, the park itself needed attractions instead of September of 2011 when Avatarland was announced.

Epcot's problems were well known even in 2009.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom