Al Lutz: Carsland for WDW, FLE not Bringing in Guests

Wikkler

You know, the Master Plan shows it eventually expanding to cross World Drive. I'm not sure how they plan on doing this. Bridges and tunnels are the only ways I can think of. Or they can tunnel World Drive through an underpass under the expansion area. Foot traffic tunnels would probably be the cheapest way of doing it without having ugly pedestrian bridges. With the foot traffic tunnels, you can have theming from Point A to Point B without ever seeing the traffic above.
It was just a terrible photoshop, and his satellite picture provided me with the real life needed to adjust.
Just hoping here but wouldn't a nicely themed BRAVE roller coaster fit well? I was thinking grizzly gulch esque and the center area where the trains (painted black like her horse?) come back and pass through again and again could be the circle of stones? If not here they could do it at UK in Epcot and have it themed like ruins of a scotish castle...
Nobody wants even a Brave DARK RIDE in DHS. If they want Brave, they want the UK Pavillion or Fantasyland.

jklakeview

Toy Story Mini-Land
  • Toy Story Midway Mania!
  • A relocated and improved Pizza Planet
  • Maybe a toy store...?
Monsters, Inc. Mini-Land
  • The Door Coaster
  • Possibly Ride & Go Seek
  • Something Involving Randall
A Bug's Life Mini-Land
  • HISTKMSA replaced with a bug playground
  • Two rides from the Bug Land from DCA
Ratatouille Mini-Land
  • A Ratatouille Restaurant
  • The Ratatouille Dark Ride from Paris
WALL*E Mini-Land
  • ... I have no idea Circle of Life-type preachy environmental movie.
Finding Nemo Mini-Land
  • A Submarine Adventure Clone Crush Coaster
The Incredibles Mini-Land
  • An Incredible (pun intended) motion simulator
UP Mini-Land
  • A M&G inside Carl's House
Brave Mini-Land
  • Something like the current place at MK
Cars Mini-Land
  • Possible a clone of RSRs
  • Maybe MJJ
  • Either Flo's V8 Cafe or the Cozy Cone Motel
Walle would be something better like 9 eyes

jklakeview

You really think Disney wants another Circle-Vision???
Now I admit, that Preachy-type movie would fit better in Epcot... so I get what people are saying about The Land.
Ok how about you load in a free loading WALLE vehicle and he moves around at all different speeds collecting random items and interacting with them in front of your eyes. Then enters a outer space rooms and then on board the cruise ship entering people's rooms and different Rec areas. Many funny scenarios could occur like entering a hot mysting room where someone is singing in the shower and pops out their head and screams making the WALLE you're riding on hurry away fast. Sort of an adventurous dark ride

Californian Elitist

I would like to hope that they care. As I am sure the majority of the shareholders would too. It's just good business to care. If the executives and managers don't, they need to be replaced by people who do.

I really don't think they care. I'm not sure about what you're saying about Roger Rabbit is true, but if it is, Roger Rabbit opened twenty years ago. I think if Disney cared about putting a Roger Rabbit attraction in Florida, they would have went after rights. It doesn't look like they have.

I doubt it's true anyway. Roger Rabbit is Touchstone.

mvieguy

I think its funny that people around here talk about Universal like its about to be the top tier theme park in the world or even getting close to it. They did one amazing thing in Harry Potter and we all know a lot of that was due to the control that Rowling had. She wanted so much control that Disney passed on the idea. Harry Potter is amazing, no doubt, but then I see a photo like this and its essentially a show building with some paint on it and cutouts of Transformers. Where is the attention to detail they learned from the success of Potter? The ride itself is also a clone of Spider-Man with different characters. Im just not buying into the idea that Universal is becoming the end all be all of creating entertaining experiences in theme parks.

I made my first visit to Universal last year and I have to say that other than Potter, the whole place felt very Six Flags-ish to me. They have dated characters like Popeye and Dudley Do Right in place of Six Flags' Looney Tunes. Exposed coasters and thrill rides like Dr Doom and Hulk with queue lines that have very little to look at and are the epitome of what I can't stand about Six Flags' queue lines. The ride props and such are just very cheap looking ( ie. the large crate above your head on Jurassic Park that "falls" looks like its plastic and does not convey a sense of weight or danger ). And then you have all the outside food establishments which mimics Six Flags / Johnny Rockets. In my view, Harry Potter makes the whole rest of the park look cheap.

Now Im not saying by any means Disney is perfect as it is not and there are A LOT of things that need to be done around property, but unless Universal tears up its whole park, sans Potter, and rebuilds everything on par with the Potter expansion, they will never beat Disney. I think right now they are competing because of Potter and the fact that Disney isn't adding anything to its parks ride-wise, but if Disney decides to start building, I think Universal will take a huge hit.

Dated Characters? Like Popeye and Dudley Do Right?

interesting. considering that Peter Pan, Snow White, Pinnochio, and Winnie the Pooh are actually Older then Popeye and Dudley Do Right

Who cares about Older Characters. the Aladdin Character outdates Spider Man and Dr. Suess.

BryceM

Dated Characters? Like Popeye and Dudley Do Right?

interesting. considering that Peter Pan, Snow White, Pinnochio, and Winnie the Pooh are actually Older then Popeye and Dudley Do Right

Who cares about Older Characters. the Aladdin Character outdates Spider Man and Dr. Suess.
Once the user suggested that Islands of Adventure was basically a Six Flags, all validity to what he was saying was completely lost.

Thrill Seeker

To
I really don't think they care. I'm not sure about what you're saying about Roger Rabbit is true, but if it is, Roger Rabbit opened twenty years ago. I think if Disney cared about putting a Roger Rabbit attraction in Florida, they would have went after rights. It doesn't look like they have.

I doubt it's true anyway. Roger Rabbit is Touchstone.
Touchstone is wholely owned by Disney.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Right, and that's why I don't believe Florida can't use Roger Rabbit.

While Touchstone distributed the film - there is a lot of legal wrangling over actual ownership of the IP. Additionally, the property was tainted with legal fights in the late nineties. Add to that the Politically Correct wave that hit Disney in the mid nineties.. and one can see why Roger Rabit becomes an odd man out.

Californian Elitist

While Touchstone distributed the film - there is a lot of legal wrangling over actual ownership of the IP. Additionally, the property was tainted with legal fights in the late nineties. Add to that the Politically Correct wave that hit Disney in the mid nineties.. and one can see why Roger Rabit becomes an odd man out.

Thanks for this info, flynn.

Alektronic

I labeled the structures for those who are confused as to what's what:

DHSExpansion_Area_Labels.jpg

1. DHS office bungalows (likely would not be relocated)
2. Jack Sparrow / One Man's Dream
3. LMA "Practice Lot" (considering its location being blocked by #4, would most likely remain as Cast Member backstage parking and storage area... but who knows?)
4. Creative Costuming and Scenic Shop (likely would not be relocated)
5. Toy Story Midway Mania
6. Great Movie Ride show building
7. Soundstage 1 (I believe) - vacant, rumored site of elusive Monsters Inc. coaster
8. Was once part of the walking tour - the "Special Effects Workshop and Shooting Stage". It is currently unused (though last I've heard, many props are still in there.)
9. Backlot Tour Special Effects Water Tank - the first part of the current Backlot Tour.
10. Backlot Tour entrance and queue.
11. Backlot Tour prop warehouse and tram loading station
12. Backlot Tour tram unloading station and AMC gallery.
13. HISTKMSA
14. Misc. service building (likely would not be relocated)
15. Catastrophe Canyon
16. Walt's plane
17. LMA stadium
18. LMA marquee

So that should give you an idea of why I enclosed what I did - its unlikely that they would remove the buildings I mentioned and I can't see them making any modifications to world drive. The most logical options are to play with that circled area, or move the main toll plaza and entrance road.

No.14 is the Engineering Services and Maintenance bldg it contains all the offices, shops equipment, parts and supplies.

jt04

Yes.

That is why MK 1.0 is vastly superior over MK 2.0.

Restaurants, rides, experiences were once all tied to organised themes. With the current FL reclamation projects, the unity of FL is discarded, to be replaced by pockets of individual stories. BatB land + LM land + Dumboland + Rapunzelland. Instead of 'Fantasyland'. The overarching thematic unity is severly compromised, weakened, so that the magic is lost. BatB, despite being of itself the most densely themed restaurant ever in the MK, ends up feeling hollow, unsatisfactory. Because it is not tied to a larger theme.

This is why I still think the placement of Circusland was a mistake. The concept would have worked much better off of MSUSA. Pixie Hollow featuring a new PPF in that space (or an 'Alice' Land) would have allowed for a cohesive theme throughout the new Fantasyland. Either a 'storybook land' theme, or better, in my opinion, a land based on European folk tales.

An eventual BATB dark ride and retheme of Philharmagic would do wonders to help tie the area together better.

Hopefully they do not make the same mistakes with FrontierLand 2.0, Adventureland 2.0 and TomorrowLand 2.0.

jt04

I still do not see a clone of Carsland being wedged into DHS. Perhaps a reimagined Carsland but not a clone. A clone would overwhelm the current configuration. Perhaps they plan a large expansion of the parks' footprint as has been rumored from time to time. Star Wars?

Atomicmickey

I heard They were gonna clone Cars Land, but value engineer Radiator Springs Racers down to a spinner like this one, but of course with spectacular painted flats rock work.

driving.bmp
Sadly, that was value engineered out completely for the interactive DVC queue, with the time share salesman meet n' greet. The painted flat rocks would have been so Magical, sigh.....

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom