Al Lutz: Carsland for WDW, FLE not Bringing in Guests

Genie of the Lamp

Just saw a pair of executives walk through Pixar place and go into backlot and backlot closed at 5. None if them looked like George

Were you able to snap any quick pics? How's the crowds today at DHS? Could you recognize who the executives were? My guess would be Danny Cockrell and Kathy Magnum.

flynnibus

Premium Member
We got that reduced by a TON by going thru Priceline. Paid less than $135. All it takes is some research. Also got discounted tickets for both Disney and Universal. And the rooms are pretty darn spacious. Either way All Stars would have been more expensive. And nope, no parking fee. Didnt use a car. But I know you like to be right Flynn so Ill let you have this one *rolls eyes*

Cool - not doubting you just trying to understand if you were comparing to suites or not. You made it sound like its normal for it to be cheaper than the values. They are normally much more price comparable to the mods

stlphil

Eisner's finest

Dinolanddsc00053.jpg

the fact that this is even in a Disney park sinks there quality to near six flags levels.
Nope. Eisner's finest was Superstar Limo (by a mile). I could feel my brain cells dying while riding that thing.

MickeyPeace

Yes we got to choose the Dolphin. Originally there was an option to pick the Swan too but it disappeared at some point as offers often do on those types of sites. There are a lot of conventions here this weekend though. It's actually been quite nice. Not that I don't like kids but I don't mind having quiet neighbors and hallways at night. And I I really really like the pool... Am actually heading there now as my feet have officially turned in their resignation ;)
So dolphin advertised that rate on Priceline. I'll have to check there. I wasn't complaining about conventions either. I actually like them. It makes for a better atmosphere for adults without kids. And yea that pool is great. So are the hot tubs.

Wikkler

Check out this thread: http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/dhs-cars-land.846133/

Also I will duplicate something a posted in that thread:
1. Toy Story Midway Mania will stay.
2. A Ratatouille Restaurant.
3. Monsters Inc. Coaster/Dark Ride
4. Re-theme the HISTKMSA as A Bug's Life Playground or something like that.
5. An Incredibles Motion Simulator Ride
6. A WALL*E attraction, I have no idea what to do but there's a lack of WALL*E in the parks.
7. An UP attraction, I have no idea what it would be, maybe a meet 'n greet or something in the rainforest.
8. If there is room, a Brave dark ride.
WDO doesn't need to expand, as there's plenty of room if you get rid of the Backlot Tour and LMA.
asdfffx.png

bubbles1812

Awesome deal... I want to stay at Swan and Dolphin next time. Recommend it?
I do very much. It's been great. So convenient to Epcot and DHS. Boardwalk is right there too am DTD and AK are really very close. Hotel rooms are very spacious and the beds are pretty darn comfy. Haven't eaten anywhere in the complex that is bad. And you have the Disney ferry and buses and get extra magic hours.

Also, does good ol' Lou Mongello count as an exec? ;) He and what looks like the entire staff of WDWradio is sitting near us at The Fountain in the Dolphin. Was so nice when he walked in and basically told the waitress where his party should sit and not the other way around.

Darth Sidious

Authentically Disney Distinctly Chinese
Check out this thread: http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/dhs-cars-land.846133/

Also I will duplicate something a posted in that thread:

I'd love to see the Pixar Place street expand straight through the BLT queue. And, while I'd love to see a row of show buildings built immediately behind TSM (another themed area), it wont happen unless they plan to move the facilities they currently house there that ground isn't the first on the list for expansion.

It would be much easier to re route the road than to move those facilities. I liked your post but it is better to use satellite imagery since park maps cut out non attractions.

image-7_zps5eee014d.jpg

Cypress Dr and the Access Rd would be relatively easy to reroute and cheaper than rebuilding a facility.

awoogala

I do very much. It's been great. So convenient to Epcot and DHS. Boardwalk is right there too am DTD and AK are really very close. Hotel rooms are very spacious and the beds are pretty darn comfy. Haven't eaten anywhere in the complex that is bad. And you have the Disney ferry and buses and get extra magic hours.
looking on priceline right now for November pricing. Amazingly, 26 disney hotels are listed there right now- more than I have ever seen before. GF, poly, aoa, etc. prices are still insane, though. ;)

puntagordabob

While I do LOVE the new Fantasyland... I must admit that I am NOT surprised that this did not have even a close resemblance to the effect TDO had intended....

They need to take a good lesson from their neighbors out at Anaheim... They out there cater to their Passholders.... new attractions, shows, parades, etc....they do not skimp on funding... they do it right (and I dont care about how poorly they did it in the 90s.. THAT is then, and now is certainly much different!)... they Add usually without DELETING (Goodness I hate it when they add one thing only to seem to need to remove 1 or 2 things as a result: Poor Planning! Disneyland is the one with the small land footprint NOT WDW Geesh!). Heck even the discounts (did you know they get a discount on COUNTER SERVICE food even? Also their merchandise discount for their premium passholders is STILL 20%....interesting eh!?), and free parties/activities they have for passholders out there puts us here in Florida to shame.

Disneyland's current business model is simple: Please the diehard fans with quality and new things to experiences.... and the NON-Locals will love it and visit more. I remember people saying "Its only locals out in California is why"...well guess what those numbers are more like 50-50% now because the non-locals are rewarding TDA for the QUALITY of their product.

IT IS THAT SIMPLE.

Tom Morrow

A bit more like this:

DHSExpansion_Area1.jpg

...If they were to op to not re-route any roads or relocate any of the facilities housed in the tan roof buildings on the left. The LMA practice lot to the left of the Creative Costuming building would no longer be needed but would likely remain as backstage CM parking and other storage.

Even so, taking out the Backlot Tour route, it's queue, the special effects water tank, and prop warehouse (what you walk through before boarding the shuttle), the unused soundstage behind the water tank, AMC gallery building, LMA, and Catastrophe Canyon gives plenty of room to play with.

doctornick

A bit more like this:

DHSExpansion_Area1.jpg

...If they were to op to not re-route any roads or relocate any of the facilities housed in the tan roof buildings on the left. The LMA practice lot to the left of the Creative Costuming building would no longer be needed but would likely remain as backstage CM parking and other storage.
The building immediately behind Soundstage 1 was going to be part of the Monsters Inc. door coaster when it was originally planned -- IIRC, that building (currently backstage) would be the queue/loading and Soundstage 1 would be the actual ride.

Adam5897

I would prefer a variety of Pixar rides instead of Cars Land (really want the door coaster). Cloning Cars Land to me isn't just a matter of originality in the park and wanting something new for DHS (which I really do). I have more of a problem in having TWO towns of radiator springs. Cloning Cars Land wouldn't be like cloning 2 different rides it would be like cloning 2 different places. It would bother me being so immersed in Cars Land and then saying: I'm not really in radiator springs i'm in radiator springs 2. It would take away the illusion of it being real for me. (by the way this is coming from a huge cars fan, I just don't think having two "places" that should be one unique place is right. I am really hoping that the Incredibles plans are chosen because it is one of my top 2 Pixar movies (behind cars) and It would be original and have a lot of potential to be one of the best rides at DHS.

Goofyernmost

A bit more like this:

DHSExpansion_Area1.jpg

Even so, taking out the Backlot Tour route, it's queue, the special effects water tank, and prop warehouse (what you walk through before boarding the shuttle), the unused soundstage behind the water tank, AMC gallery building, LMA, and Catastrophe Canyon gives plenty of room to play with.
That's all well and good, but, what happens to Walt's Plane. Do we have to chain ourselves to it to make sure that it gets some place of honor in the parks? I think they should move it to that big vacant spot on the back end of Epcot's World Showcase.

Darth Sidious

Authentically Disney Distinctly Chinese
Well...
asdnsd.jpg

Is this right?
If not, please produce an image cutting out the backstage areas.

Those white-ish roof buildings in the top left portion of what is circled are likely not going anywhere. They are set production and costume creation buildings. I also think there is an office building in that area as well. It definitely isn't out of question to remove them but I'd guess less likely. They could build new facilities first and move everything then demolish but it seems costly that way. Knowing TDO they shudder at the word cost.

Edit: not just the four small at the top left circled portion but rather the ones under that. Tom Morrow has a good circled picture.

Tom Morrow

I labeled the structures for those who are confused as to what's what:

DHSExpansion_Area_Labels.jpg

1. DHS office bungalows (likely would not be relocated)
2. Jack Sparrow / One Man's Dream
3. LMA "Practice Lot" (considering its location being blocked by #4, would most likely remain as Cast Member backstage parking and storage area... but who knows?)
4. Creative Costuming and Scenic Shop (likely would not be relocated)
5. Toy Story Midway Mania
6. Great Movie Ride show building
7. Soundstage 1 (I believe) - vacant, rumored site of elusive Monsters Inc. coaster
8. Was once part of the walking tour - the "Special Effects Workshop and Shooting Stage". It is currently unused (though last I've heard, many props are still in there.)
9. Backlot Tour Special Effects Water Tank - the first part of the current Backlot Tour.
10. Backlot Tour entrance and queue.
11. Backlot Tour prop warehouse and tram loading station
12. Backlot Tour tram unloading station and AMC gallery.
13. HISTKMSA
14. Misc. service building (likely would not be relocated)
15. Catastrophe Canyon
16. Walt's plane
17. LMA stadium
18. LMA marquee

So that should give you an idea of why I enclosed what I did - its unlikely that they would remove the buildings I mentioned and I can't see them making any modifications to world drive. The most logical options are to play with that circled area, or move the main toll plaza and entrance road.

JLW11Hi

So that should give you an idea of why I enclosed what I did - its unlikely that they would remove the buildings I mentioned and I can't see them making any modifications to world drive. The most logical options are to play with that circled area, or move the main toll plaza and entrance road.

Every time they add something to that area of Hollywood Studios and don't take the opportunity to fix the layout, it makes me sad. It is such a jumbled mess that was never properly designed for foot traffic, and I can't believe they've let this go so long. It has been almost 25 years!!!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom