Al Lutz: Carsland for WDW, FLE not Bringing in Guests

TP2000

We subscribe to Atomic Ranch too, in fact our neighborhood is featured often. We are in Racquet Club Estates, a house on my street is part of the home tour. I'm taking my 57 Chevy out of the garage and displaying it in the driveway for added ambiance.
We had a gate made for our breezeway, it looks like bubbles floating. Of course there is a hidden Mickey.

And with that, you're the coolest poster in this thread, if not the entire forum. (Sorry, @WDW1974)

PeterAlt

I believe I've read here by one... or several of them... that it was "off the rails" again.
If Avatar is "off the rails" again, the alternative could be worse, based on yesterday's news.

Oh, if you haven't heard... Bob Iger announced a plan to over-saturate and completely overdo the Star Wars brand. He was quoted as saying that several Star Wars movies are being scripted - the sequel trilogy (episodes 7-9) AS WELL AS a couple more stand-alone Star Wars spin-off movies focusing on various Star Wars characters. For example, one movie will be about the life of Yoda. People with good credentials are being chosen by Disney to work in these Star Wars projects. The spinoff movies are to be released at the same time as the sequel trilogy so people will have a choice of more than one Star Wars film playing at the theater at the same time. And that's on top of their planned live action TV series and animated series. So I see them over hyping it to the point that people could start to hate Star Wars. With Avatar gone, what a "perfect" replacement that could borrow its sci-fi theme and alien animals.

When this happens don't forget who said it first!

SirLink

If Avatar is "off the rails" again, the alternative could be worse, based on yesterday's news.

Oh, if you haven't heard... Bob Iger announced a plan to over-saturate and completely overdo the Star Wars brand. He was quoted as saying that several Star Wars movies are being scripted - the sequel trilogy (episodes 7-9) AS WELL AS a couple more stand-alone Star Wars spin-off movies focusing on various Star Wars characters. For example, one movie will be about the life of Yoga. People with good credentials are being chosen by Disney to work in these Star Wars projects. The spinoff movies are to be released at the same time as the sequel trilogy so people will have a choice of more than one Star Wars film playing at the theater at the same time. And that's on top of their planned live action TV series and animated series. So I see them over hyping it to the point that people could start to hate Star Wars. With Avatar gone, what a "perfect" replacement that could borrow its sci-fi theme and alien animals.

When this happens don't forget who said it first!

First some of the better stories can be told in Star Wars EU, second Sci Fi should not be the first theme when it comes to DAK it should be Medieval and Ancient Myths aka Dragons and Minotaurs...

doctornick

Regarding DAK, if/when Avatar is off the table, why can't they just bring back Mysterious Island as an alternative? It was serious considered/planned previously, so there is already work out there for how it would fit and it's already developed (for TDS) so that aspect of the costs is done.

I mean, we all know that DAK needs capacity and more to do. I've got to think something like this is on the table.

COProgressFan

The brylcream look isn't exclusively a Disneyland thing, it's a Southern California thing. I noticed the local "kids" (anyone under 30 at my age) sporting the brylcream side-parted Mad Men look in SoCal about a year or 18 months ago. It spread quickly in 2012, and I've noticed lots of Disneyland male CM's doing that look now. It's the hip look, along with their slim pants and skinny ties. Suddenly, it's 1962 again. :cool:

7567244458_ed709691cc_b.jpg

This Radiator Springs Racers CM guy on the right is the epitome of "Disneyland Cool" circa 2013. The CM on the left needs to go back to the drugstore for more Brylcream, but as the trend grows quickly in SoCal I'm sure he'll catch on. If he hasn't already.

7268814690_6a78ee9472.jpg

Or this waiter at DCA's Carthay Circle Restaurant in 2013. He could time warp back to Disneyland circa 1962 and Walt Disney himself would say "There's a clean cut young man, let's hire him for our little amusement park". Right away, Walt!

But I agree, the Anaheim CM's are really getting into their overall "look" more and more lately. The girls on Buena Vista Street with their elaborate rolled hairdo's, and the gals at Racers and in Cars Land with their rockabilly locks and the Racers male CM's with their brylcreamed perfect side-parted haircuts. It really sets them apart.

The brylcream side-part is seen all over SoCal now with hip youngsters, and I'm sure it will spread to the rest of the country quickly as a stylish look in the next few years. It may even reach New Jersey in a year or two, where it would eliminate the Jersey Shore gelled wind tunnel look once and for all. Or not.

The WDW CM's, bless their hearts, seem to go with the simplest and easiest haircuts and styles. I think it helps with the heat and humidity in Orlando. But a big part of that is that SoCal and Orange County, California is a style center that sets the trends for the nation. You just observed the youngster CM's in Anaheim sporting what are actually fashionable haircuts that also theme fantastically with their Disneyland or California Adventure environments.

I had never seen pictures of the CM costumes for the Carthay restaurant so thanks for posting that. Combined with the hair, it really just seems to work. I can't think of any waiter costumes at WDW establishments that are so elaborate and so perfectly fit the setting.

There is a certain aura of professionalism which comes out when CMs are in fancy costumes, are nicely groomed, etc. Sadly, "the Disney Look" has been watered down so much in WDW, that most managers don't care, and therefore most CM's don't either (or they're not even entirely sure what the concept of the Disney Look is). I saw a CM in Tomorrowland last year wearing white Nike running sneakers with his costume (looked horrible, can't believe he was allowed on stage). I frequently see trendy sunglasses on CMs that are really jarring when seen with the rest of the costume (bling-y silver sunglasses don't seem to go with turn of the century Main St., transportation outfits) Since CMs take costumes home and wash them themselves, they are often not pressed or just look worn and tattered. No one seems to care much for these glaring show issues, however.

devoy1701

To be honest, I'm suprised Al Lutz is still able to get this kinda insider info considering George is going to WDW and now with Mr.Baxter gone he will really have to dig deep to pull this stuff up. I'm sure he has some less respectable sources out there.:p Or he can do what he's been doing for the last few months and just copy Mr.Spirit's thoughts/info on the 411 for Disney.

Edit: Of course in this instance I can see why he would get to the ride first cause it has do deal with WDW since George is Prez their now.
I think Al is one of those people on the "Must remain friends with" list. It's probably inevitable now for the Disneyland President...be friends with him or feel the wrath of thousands of your most loyal friends.

Personally...I'm surprised that Al was able to report on Disneyland's push to get more APers our of the parks with such a level tone...to me that seems like babysteps to turning their backs on APers...much like WDW has.

devoy1701

As a person who does a little research before I spend $$$ on an expensive vacation, I'm not planning to visit WDW again until the FLE is completed. Why would I visit before it is completed? If I wait a year or so, the entire area will be open and I can enjoy it as a fully completed area. I wouldn't be surprised if any bump in attendance doesn't happen until the entire area is done and open. Especially for those of us who can't afford to go but once or twice a decade.

Besides, there's some nice new things in California that look very exciting, where I can visit some old rides that no longer exist at WDW. Guess I'll have to save my extra $$ for some more expensive airline tickets.
Exactly...we too have already said that we won't be back to WDW until Fantasyland is completed...and this is coming from 2 former APers who had APs for 5 years and would visit 2 or 3 times every month. You don't get a draw or attendance boost by opening up things little by little, especially with the price hikes the Resort has been giving us over the past 2 years. If I'm going to have to pay 20% more for my AP than before, I'm going to wait until Fantasyland is done and I can enjoy the entire thing before I dish out money again. Instead, we're heading to Disneyland next month. Our total package for our 5 day visit is about what we would spend on 2 APs and a 5 night hotel stay at WDW.

Pixiedustmaker

Original Poster
Not sure how this information fits with what Al was reporting on WDW's lower room occupancy rates, but Disney just released a financial report for last quarter ending December 29th, 2012, and had the following blurb:

Parks and Resorts

Parks and Resorts revenues for the quarter increased 7% to $3.4 billion and segment operating income increased 4% to $577 million. Results for the quarter were driven by an increase at our domestic operations, partially offset by a decrease at our international operations.

Higher operating income at our domestic operations was primarily due to increased guest spending at both Walt Disney World Resort and Disneyland Resort, the addition of the Disney Fantasy cruise ship which launched in March 2012, attendance growth at Disneyland Resort, and higher occupied room nights at Walt Disney World Resort. These increases were partially offset by higher operating costs and lower average cruise ship ticket prices driven by a cruise itinerary out of a new port location for the Disney Magic. Increased guest spending reflected higher average ticket prices, daily hotel room rates and food, beverage and merchandise spending. Higher operating costs were due to resort expansion and new guest offerings, including the addition of the Disney Fantasy and investments in systems infrastructure at Walt Disney World Resort, as well as labor and other cost inflation.

Lower results from our international operations reflect higher costs due to new guest offerings and labor cost inflation at Disneyland Paris and start up costs at Shanghai Disney Resort, partially offset by increased guest spending at Hong Kong Disneyland Resort.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/walt-disney-company-reports-first-211500958.html

Did Al Lutz get it wrong with regards to income/room occupancy at WDW? If so, does this mean that Carsland is not fast-tracked for DCA? Lutz also reported that Nemo/Autopia would be removed from Disneyland, and that Innoventions would be demolished this month for an Iron Man attraction.

devoy1701

Nope. Maybe it's original design might have been but between the reduction in the length of the track, the show scenes (yeah...those were reduced by quite a few) and just overall reduction in budget for the thing, it's a D ticket tops. Like Mermaid, it might have an E ticket theming/queue but the ride itself won't be. Just look at the ride through.. You are going to get to see a lot of grass and not a lot of show. And it won't be all that long. Shorter than Thunder Mountain. Like I said... It's a kiddie coaster better than Barnstormer but a step below BTM.
When was this reduced? Track length and show scenes I mean? I have kind of just been lerking the past few months...did i miss something?

MerlinTheGoat

When was this reduced? Track length and show scenes I mean? I have kind of just been lerking the past few months...did i miss something?
I don't really know about the show scenes, but from what I can tell the track length was noticeably reduced and the path was simplified from the original plan. Lee or Raven (I forget which) have posted at least two track layouts in the past several years. One of them is this one from 2011 and shows the earlier more complex/long track planned at that time-
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-RL_XP_agV...7040641_100000104151317_787144_4295400_n.jpeg

The other was posted more recently, I believe last year. It shows a simpler and shorter version of the track-
http://photoalbums.wdwmagic.com/data/500/layout3.jpg

I don't know whether there were any intended show scenes that are being cut. The one everyone has seen is the main one inside the mine, that one is staying for obvious reasons. Otherwise I have no idea what is still going to be present. I heard originally there was going to be another scene near the end inside the cottage with Snow White and the dwarfs dancing. Quite a while back I believe it was rumored the witch might make a minor cameo at some point during the ride (not sure where I heard this), and the original concept art showed an outside scene with the 7 dwarfs walking home from the mine (the iconic "home from work we go" scene), the coaster seemed to travel underneath the log they were walking on top of. Dunno whether either are still going to be part of the ride anymore though.

devoy1701

I don't really know about the show scenes, but from what I can tell the track length was noticeably reduced and the path was simplified from the original plan. Lee or Raven (I forget which) have posted at least two track layouts in the past several years. One of them is this one from 2011 and shows the earlier more complex/long track planned at that time-
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-RL_XP_agV...7040641_100000104151317_787144_4295400_n.jpeg

The other was posted more recently, I believe last year. It shows a simpler and shorter version of the track-
http://photoalbums.wdwmagic.com/data/500/layout3.jpg

I don't know whether there were any intended show scenes that are being cut. The one everyone has seen is the main one inside the mine, that one is staying for obvious reasons. Otherwise I have no idea what is still going to be present. I heard originally there was going to be another scene near the end inside the cottage with Snow White and the dwarfs dancing. Quite a while back I believe it was rumored the witch might make a minor cameo at some point during the ride (not sure where I heard this), and the original concept art showed an outside scene with the 7 dwarfs walking home from the mine (the iconic "home from work we go" scene), the coaster seemed to travel underneath the log they were walking on top of. Dunno whether either are still going to be part of the ride anymore though.
Thanks Merlin. The amount of track that has been cut is alarming in of itself! That easily looks like a 30%-40% reduction in track length.

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member
Sinbad would be a perfect fit in Paris, where Adventureland sports an Arabian entrance.

Adventureland in Paris has so many themes, there is nothing that won't fit (or nothing that will, depending upon how you look at it). Arabian entrance, Carribbean pirates, south pacific treehouse, Indiana Jones coaster, Lion King and Jungle Book restaurants. It's a freakin' mess, or an eclectic masterpiece...take your pick.

Tinkerbell 8

Wow that Sinbad ride looked amazing and so did their Splash! Watching all these videos of rides from the international parks is making my love for WDW slowly decrease. I'm never going to stop going to WDW for the simple fact that its the closest park to me, but I am considering taking less frequent trips so I can experience the parks in other countries.

Can someone explain if each Disney park has their own department on how/what to spend money on, or if there is one centralized department that tells each park what to do? I just don't understand why such a well loved/well known company would have such a huge difference of quality between their own parks.

MattM

They aren't hurting Disneyland by cloning Cars Land. Disneyland pulls in tourists from markets that would never consider a WDW visit; Western US States and Canadian Provinces, Mexico, Australia, New Zealand, Japan, Taiwan, China, Korea and the emerging economies of Southeast Asia. These are folks that have no need or desire to visit central Florida for a Disney experience when Disneyland is closer and easier for them, and can be bundled in their broader visit to California (and Vegas).

Similarly, WDW pulls in tourists from markets that would never consider a Disneyland visit. Your point about a big chunk of WDW visitors driving there from within a 750 mile radius of the Eastern US is a very good one.

I think this is just inaccurate.

asianway

Not sure how this information fits with what Al was reporting on WDW's lower room occupancy rates, but Disney just released a financial report for last quarter ending December 29th, 2012, and had the following blurb:

Parks and Resorts

Parks and Resorts revenues for the quarter increased 7% to $3.4 billion and segment operating income increased 4% to $577 million. Results for the quarter were driven by an increase at our domestic operations, partially offset by a decrease at our international operations.

Higher operating income at our domestic operations was primarily due to increased guest spending at both Walt Disney World Resort and Disneyland Resort, the addition of the Disney Fantasy cruise ship which launched in March 2012, attendance growth at Disneyland Resort, and higher occupied room nights at Walt Disney World Resort. These increases were partially offset by higher operating costs and lower average cruise ship ticket prices driven by a cruise itinerary out of a new port location for the Disney Magic. Increased guest spending reflected higher average ticket prices, daily hotel room rates and food, beverage and merchandise spending. Higher operating costs were due to resort expansion and new guest offerings, including the addition of the Disney Fantasy and investments in systems infrastructure at Walt Disney World Resort, as well as labor and other cost inflation.

Lower results from our international operations reflect higher costs due to new guest offerings and labor cost inflation at Disneyland Paris and start up costs at Shanghai Disney Resort, partially offset by increased guest spending at Hong Kong Disneyland Resort.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/walt-disney-company-reports-first-211500958.html

Did Al Lutz get it wrong with regards to income/room occupancy at WDW? If so, does this mean that Carsland is not fast-tracked for DCA? Lutz also reported that Nemo/Autopia would be removed from Disneyland, and that Innoventions would be demolished this month for an Iron Man attraction.
Occupied room counts are up, but due to the introduction of the inventory of rooms at AOAR, the denominator increased which most likely resulted in a drop in occupancy percent. Both can be true, the devil is in the wordsmithing.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom