AK worker injured

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
If you don't mind my asking, why so bitter towards Florida?

lurker.gif

Popcorn anyone?

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
If you don't mind my asking, why so bitter towards Florida?
I grew up and realized that the only thing keeping me in Florida was WDW :) Disney isn't enough for me to remain anywhere long enough... I just needed a good whack in the head to realize that. I like Disney, more than most things in life, but I don't love it.

KeeKee

I grew up and realized that the only thing keeping me in Florida was WDW :) Disney isn't enough for me to remain anywhere long enough... I just needed a good whack in the head to realize that. I like Disney, more than most things in life, but I don't love it.

WDW is certainly a big draw, that's for sure. Funny how some places seem to agree with some folks and others places don't, I guess...

mkt

Premium Member
WDW is certainly a big draw, that's for sure. Funny how some places seem to agree with some folks and others places don't, I guess...
Funny thing is, I'm in a tropical island, enjoying life- loving every second of my time here, but ultimately, I know I'll be bored and move along. I've already started my research, so when the time comes, I'm ready. I'm not moving earlier than Jan 20, 2009 though :D

jmvd20

For me, I will have to wait until the OSHA report to pick my way through the conflicting stories.

You put way too much faith in the thought of a completely unbiased OSHA report.

Many things are swept under the rug due to money and politics, I know this must come as a surprise to most people being as OSHA is of course a government agency there to protect the worker...

OSHA inspectors will always find some sort of safety violation when an injury is reported. The inspectors have to, after all if they didn't find a violation it wouldn't look good for the inspector or for anyone at OSHA. Anytime a worker is hurt someone has to be blamed, after all if a worker is hurt and no violation is present how does that make OSHA look? They should have had a regulation in place to protect the worker.

OSHA is definitely needed and the safety regulations are there for a reason, but a report generated by them could be far from the actual circumstances that occurred.

EPCOT.nut

I noticed the report where it said she was up and talking after the fall and it made me think about the strangeness of head injuries.

I know someone that had a fall and basically had an "egg" on his head after the fall (a lump) and then had a headache and was taken to the ER. This person knew a doctor and was taken back with priority and within 30 minutes had an emergency craniotomy to relieve bleeding. It was said that if they would have waited any longer the person would have died.

Isn't that scary to know sometimes you sit in the ER for *hours* - with a fluke accident like this it is possible to speculate that she may have survived with very fast intervention. I'm not saying that is the case (don't hurt me over this post) but I wanted to post this so everyone here can be aware that with a "bumped head" and no actual external bleeding, there is still the possibility of death, even if the person is talking and walking.

Isn't that scary to know?

And, yes, I feel terrible for the family and the poor CM. Think of how many of us at WDWMagic that dream to work for WDW when we are in our 60's. :cry:

KeeKee

Funny thing is, I'm in a tropical island, enjoying life- loving every second of my time here, but ultimately, I know I'll be bored and move along. I've already started my research, so when the time comes, I'm ready. I'm not moving earlier than Jan 20, 2009 though :D

Must be nice. You must not be tied down with a bunch of obligations. Good for you! (as long as you can manage it...):)

KeeKee

And, yes, I feel terrible for the family and the poor CM. Think of how many of us at WDWMagic that dream to work for WDW when we are in our 60's. :cry:

Remember, though, injuries and deaths are not normative. Most CMs have uneventful terms of employment (unless you count skermishes with management...but that's another subject...). So, for those with a dream to retire and work at WDW, go for it!

mkt

Premium Member
Must be nice. You must not be tied down with a bunch of obligations. Good for you! (as long as you can manage it...):)
Easily manageable amount of debt, decent income, family in this and neighboring islands, no boss, and no kids. I can make it work :)

KeeKee

Easily manageable amount of debt, decent income, family in this and neighboring islands, no boss, and no kids. I can make it work :)

Well, now you're just making me jealous! J/K!

We are tied down with a business and 6 parrots...no vacations in almost 20 years. However, we do live within spittin' distance to WDW, so no complaints...small grumblings every now and then...but no complaints...really...no I mean it.

mkt

Premium Member
Well, now you're just making me jealous! J/K!

We are tied down with a business and 6 parrots...no vacations in almost 20 years. However, we do live within spittin' distance to WDW, so no complaints...small grumblings every now and then...but no complaints...really...no I mean it.
Oooo.. parrots! What kind? We have a Jendaya Conure in our house, and there's ton of indigenous/native ones here, as well as non-native, but non invasive wild Budgies.

KeeKee

Oooo.. parrots! What kind? We have a Jendaya Conure in our house, and there's ton of indigenous/native ones here, as well as non-native, but non invasive wild Budgies.
Three Macaws, a Little Corella Cockatoo, African Grey, and and Amazon. We say we have six parrots; they say they have a maid and a butler...

mkt

Premium Member
800px-Roadtown%2C_Tortola.jpg

That's amazing... looks like an incredibly beautiful place to live.
It's one of the places I've been basing myself out of for the past 5 months. Road Town, Spanish Town (Virgin Gorda, BVI), Charlotte-Amalie (USVI), San Juan (PR), and Fajardo (PR).

Where I am depends on how much fuel is in the boat, how much empty space is in my passport, and if I have business in San Juan. Officially, I live in San Juan, but at this moment, I'm in Tortola... probably until at least Wednesday. I have to be back in San Juan by Friday since I have a Dr. appointment.

KeeKee

It's one of the places I've been basing myself out of for the past 5 months. Road Town, Spanish Town (Virgin Gorda, BVI), Charlotte-Amalie (USVI), San Juan (PR), and Fajardo (PR).

Where I am depends on how much fuel is in the boat, how much empty space is in my passport, and if I have business in San Juan. Officially, I live in San Juan, but at this moment, I'm in Tortola... probably until at least Wednesday. I have to be back in San Juan by Friday since I have a Dr. appointment.
I suppose that kind of life could get tiresome...nah...never...now I'm gettin' jealous...

sbkline

The story is the sad reality of a fatal accident which resulted in this poor lady's untimely demise. Where the story goes from reporting an accident to arguably sensationalizing the dangers of being at WDW is when it goes into the recounting of other people's deaths which had zero to do with what happened in this case.

So, they did more than "simply report the facts." They expanded the story of Ms. Price's death into another topic, raising the question of whether WDW is a safe place to work or visit.

I don't interpret it that way at all. I frequently read newspaper accounts of accidents, or watch reports on the news, of a death that takes place at a particular location, and as a side note, they mention other accidents that have taken place at that same location. That's simply a common occurence in reporting on accidents. It doesn't mean that anyone is trying to imply that the location itself is unsafe (although in some contexts it may, but certainly not always). Or when a newspaper reports a police activity that took place on a certain day. Maybe they report about that domestic distubance that took place on Friday night, and then as a sidenote, they make brief mention of other police activities on the same day.

It's simply a common practice in reporting. In this case, a death took place at WDW and, in the process of reporting it, the writers remind us of other similar things that have happened at WDW in recent times. It doesn't mean there is any sinister conspiracy to bring down Disney. It doesn't mean anyone is trying to imply that Disney is unsafe. I don't interpret it that way, anyhow. IMO, the only people who do so are hardcore Disney fanboys with a persecution complex.

mkt

Premium Member
I suppose that kind of life could get tiresome...nah...never...now I'm gettin' jealous...
funny thing... the distance from our place in Tortola to San Juan is roughly the same distance that it is from Orlando to New Smyrna Beach :lol:

Only in this commute, I have to battle with nasty water, customs/immigration, and ocassionally cranky Royal Navy Sailors/US Coast Guard... so while in Orlando I'd consider New Smyrna a day trip, I wouldn't do this for anything less than a 4-day weekend.

EPCOT.nut

funny thing... the distance from our place in Tortola to San Juan is roughly the same distance that it is from Orlando to New Smyrna Beach :lol:

Only in this commute, I have to battle with nasty water, customs/immigration, and ocassionally cranky Royal Navy Sailors/US Coast Guard... so while in Orlando I'd consider New Smyrna a day trip, I wouldn't do this for anything less than a 4-day weekend.

I'm not so good with boating.

:hurl:

God Bless North Central Florida.

mkt

Premium Member
I'm not so good with boating.

:hurl:

God Bless North Central Florida.
It took me time, but I'm used to it now. I cross in a relatively small vessel, so I feel it worse. My friends recommend at least a 30 foot vessel... I cross usually in a 26 footer, so I leave first thing in the morning when the water's smooth and go as fast as I can. If I can make it to St. Thomas before the water gets nasty, I'm set... otherwise, it's going to be a long morning. The water has been so bad before that I've arrived with tears in my eyes.

Usually, I leave Fajardo (east PR) at 6am, and I'm in St. Thomas bt 7am. Stop for cheap fuel and breakfast, then onward to Tortola/Virgin Gorda with a stop in Jost Van beforehand to go through customs/immigration quickly and painlessly. If all works well, I'm docked and unloaded in Tortola/Virgin Gorda by 9am.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom