airport security

Status
Not open for further replies.

alliemom

In light of the heightened security at the airports travelers are no longer able to carry liquids, gels or pastes in your carry on bags. This means that we are not able to carry that critical Suntan lotion and have to pack it in our checked bags. I am happy to follow these rules as it will ease my mind traveling next week but was thinking, wouldn't it be nice if Disney provided a sample size of Suntan lotion at check in for those of us using Magical Express as our checked bags will not arrive for quite some time after we get to the resort. Even if they just had a bottle on the desk at check in so that we can put some on our children so that they do not burn as we walk through the parks or lay by the pools for those first couple of hours? Just a thought,that way we wouldn't have to pay out the nose for suntan lotion at the gift shop when we all ready have it packed in out bags?

The Mom

Premium Member
As others suggested, you might try looking for sunscreen in the airport before boarding the bus. It would still be overpriced, but better than nothing. You might also look into the stick type sunscreen; bullfrog and neutrogena both make them. They're a little more difficult to use than lotions/gels, but should work for a few hour wait, and you could still carry them in your carry-on.

Upvote 0

dixiegirl

Hay just watching the local news and they showed people going through their belonging...and I seen someone whip out some POR refillable cups...thought I'd share...

Upvote 0

alliemom

Original Poster
great idea about the stick suntan lotion. I will be going to the store for that since I leave in a week and I am sure the restrictions will still be in place! Thank you for the wonderful idea.

Upvote 0

shoppingnut

great idea about the stick suntan lotion. I will be going to the store for that since I leave in a week and I am sure the restrictions will still be in place! Thank you for the wonderful idea.

I noticed in some of the photos of the stuff people had to toss going through security, included stick deodorant. I would definitely check with the airline before buying it.

Upvote 0
One thought. Apply your sunscreen before leaving the house the morning that you are flying, or even putting on a layer before you go through security. For the most of us, its 3-5 hour flight. If you know you are going to the parks or pool, put it on before you get on the plane.

***This advice was provided to you at no charge. :D

Upvote 0

The Mom

Premium Member
Don't they make 'wipes' with sunscreen on them - I think I've seen them at WalMart.

Yes, you're absolutely right! I suspect that within the next few days the guidelines will become clearer. I think today all of the screeners were in a "if in doubt, toss it" mode. Once they have an official updated list, stick deoderant, sunscreen, etc might not be on it.

Upvote 0

isitingood

You even have to throw your chapstick away. If you're in England you can't even bring any carry on bags on the plane.I do a lot of traveling so what I do is ship my bags through FED EX right to the Hotel I am staying at. It only costs me around $25 to $30 and my bags are always at the hotel when I arrive.

Upvote 0

shoppingnut

Don't they make 'wipes' with sunscreen on them - I think I've seen them at WalMart.

I'll have to look for those, but the Walmart's down in our area are starting to mark down and get rid of the summer stuff which includes sunscreens. I'm sure they carry some all year round, but bet the wipes are more of a speciality summer type item, just like the spray on ones which I bought last week and got one of the three remaining cans.

Upvote 0

miles1

We're flying on Allegiant Air next week. There are no in-flight snacks or drinks unless you buy them. Does anyone know if they charge for water? We had planned on bringing our own water bottles since the air in the plane is usually as dry as a bone, but obviously this is a no-go.

My son will also be devistated that he can't bring his DS on the flight with him too.

Regardless of the above, I'm relieved and more confident that they were able to stop this plot before it hatched. The British authorities have done a great job and deserve congratulations.

Upvote 0

shoppingnut

You even have to throw your chapstick away. If you're in England you can't even bring any carry on bags on the plane.I do a lot of traveling so what I do is ship my bags through FED EX right to the Hotel I am staying at. It only costs me around $25 to $30 and my bags are always at the hotel when I arrive.

Chapstick, that is just over the top crazy.

Upvote 0

JimboJones123

Even at $14 or $16 there will still be people who will buy it at that price and there won't be any on the shelves to be had.

90 minutes?:eek: What store are you going to, is it in Tampa?:lol: I know, I know, when people get in a store they start browsing and before you know it you've been in there for an hour or so.

Yes, 90 sounds about right.

Shoot, I'd buy the $30 asprin if I needed it badly. I understand a buck each for tampons, and only getting an 8 pack at the store won't stop you from getting 2-3 packs for up to $25 bucks as opposed to not having them. Maybe Disney will lower the costs to $10 with this in mind. I wasn't agruing, just stating what you are -- if there is a need, it will be gone.

Upvote 0

JimboJones123

I was just have a little fun with the 90 minutes thing.:wave:

We were actually shopping for a video camera one year, ours broke down. We ended up leaving property at 3pm. After hitting Circuit City, Target, WalMart, and Sams, we finally bought one and got back just after 9pm. So, thank you for DDP. Keeps me from wasting my vacation off site.

Upvote 0

TAC

I hope disney does do something like provide small bottles of sunscreen because otherwise no one will be in the parks or at the pool, everyone will be holdup in their rooms waiting for their luggage that contains sunscreen. The fact that you won't be out spending $$'s should hopefully push them into action.

Also, if anyone thinks that there will be any sunscreen left on the shelves at WDW, will most likely be in for a rude awakening because I seriously doubt it. It's not like they have a huge stock of that stuff in the backroom because what they carry is really for those people who may run out of what they brought or forgot to bring it, it's not like a souvenier item where they expect a higher percentage of guests to actually buy so have a huge stock of this stuff. There will always be some folks who can no longer stand the kids screaming to go to the pool/parks and blow the $10 on it and it will run out quickly.

Why should they? So if you drive, you don't "deserve" sunscreen ?

Upvote 0

shoppingnut

Why should they? So if you drive, you don't "deserve" sunscreen ?

Because if you are holdup in your room waiting for luggage and not out spending $$$'s at the pool/food court or parks, it will have an impact on them. And what generally impacts a company in the pocket book pushes them into action. Also, if people who are using DME start to ALL collect their luggage and not let it be delivered to the hotel, that it going to cause problems too.

Excuse me, but I NEVER said people who drive don't deserve suncreen, where did that come from. So the people who take DME deserve to burn in your opinion, is that what you're saying.

Because of this problem now and with FL being a place where suncreen is a necessity, we might see it standing next to the complimentary bottle of shampoo now.

Upvote 0

TAC

Because if you are holdup in your room waiting for luggage and not out spending $$$'s at the pool/food court or parks, it will have an impact on them. And what generally impacts a company in the pocket book pushes them into action. Also, if people who are using DME start to ALL collect their luggage and not let it be delivered to the hotel, that it going to cause problems too.

Excuse me, but I NEVER said people who drive don't deserve suncreen, where did that come from. So the people who take DME deserve to burn in your opinion, is that what you're saying.

Because of this problem now and with FL being a place where suncreen is a necessity, we might see it standing next to the complimentary bottle of shampoo now.

Excuse me. Were you not the one who mentioned DME ? So only those that are on DME or those that stay at a Disney resort should be given complementary sunscreen? I guess you'll have to deal with your luggage not being delivered.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom