airport security

Status
Not open for further replies.

alliemom

In light of the heightened security at the airports travelers are no longer able to carry liquids, gels or pastes in your carry on bags. This means that we are not able to carry that critical Suntan lotion and have to pack it in our checked bags. I am happy to follow these rules as it will ease my mind traveling next week but was thinking, wouldn't it be nice if Disney provided a sample size of Suntan lotion at check in for those of us using Magical Express as our checked bags will not arrive for quite some time after we get to the resort. Even if they just had a bottle on the desk at check in so that we can put some on our children so that they do not burn as we walk through the parks or lay by the pools for those first couple of hours? Just a thought,that way we wouldn't have to pay out the nose for suntan lotion at the gift shop when we all ready have it packed in out bags?

kennygman

Chapstick, that is just over the top crazy.

Not when you consider that a terrorist can do crazy things with small objects. I personally wouldn't care about the carry-on bag, if they ask us to check it, so be it. I'd rather that there appears to be an over-reaction than the under-reaction pre 911. As long as we can fly securely, so be it.

Upvote 0
I think parts of this discussion are rather commical when put into the perspective of an actual needed item vs a comfort.

I wonder what would have happened back during the frontier days if the government had told all those settlers heading west in covered wagons, "You cant take your Ipods, chapstick, hand sanitizer, laptops, sunscreen, or bottled Evian." Oh, wait, they didnt have those things.....and shockingly, they survived.

Upvote 0

BLY

Suncream is the least of your worries if you are travelling from the UK. Today people travelling are not allowed anything other than travel documents, essential baby items and limited sanitary items - no liquids and no books or games to amuse the children on flights upto 11 hours. But I would rather it be this way and be safe, its just they way it is.

Upvote 0

Disneian

I had a bottle of water in my carry on last week, the security guy searched through my bag saw the bottle and still let me through, without saying a word. so it doesn't seem like the no liquid rule is being enforced all that well. I didn't know there was such a rule till this thread.

Or is this new because of the terror threats? Maybe thats why they let me bring in water.

I do believe this is new due to the new terror threats.

Upvote 0

Senderella

As far as things you can't take with you on the plane like sunscreen, a lot of people on the AOL Disney board are always talking about grocery delivery. That's always an option ya know. So is taking a towncar and utilizing the grocery store stop and getting those things you need.

Our trip's in October and MIL is going with us. DH & I were planning on driving and she was going to fly into MCO and do the towncar thing. Well, after watching all of this last night, we figured MIL would be frantic and be insistant on cancelling. She amazed us this morning. She basically said "Looks like in October you'll have an extra body in the truck". :sohappy:

Upvote 0

shoppingnut

Excuse me. Were you not the one who mentioned DME ? So only those that are on DME or those that stay at a Disney resort should be given complementary sunscreen? I guess you'll have to deal with your luggage not being delivered.

NO I did not mention DME, it was in the original post.

People who stay at a Disney resort get lots of perks that others do not, for example EMH. Disney has the right to give whatever perks it wants to their hotel guests. Also, if I stay in the value or moderates, why don't I get complimentary hand lotion in my room like the deluxes, hmmm maybe because I'm spending less money.

No I won't have to deal with my luggage not being delivered, because then I won't put the DME tage on it and I'll just collect it and take it with me on the bus. No one says because you're using DME I have to let them deliver the luggage. However, the MCO airport has seen the great benefit of the luggage handling in the fact that they aren't going to have to build another terminal for some time. So, if everyone starts collecting luggage and taking it aboard the bus, DME is going to have to analyze why and if they can prevent it as the whole intention was for the bus to be loaded with guests and take off to the resorts quickly.

Upvote 0

wdwishes2005

I can think of 1000 other ways a terrorist can take down a plane.... All they really have to do is put the explosives in a plastic bag under their shirt.....
anyway, back on topic. I would just use the grocery option myself. Someone i know found a site that charges like 20$ + the cost of groceries. Not bad really.

Upvote 0

JimboJones123

I can think of 1000 other ways a terrorist can take down a plane.... All they really have to do is put the explosives in a plastic bag under their shirt.....
anyway, back on topic. I would just use the grocery option myself. Someone i know found a site that charges like 20$ + the cost of groceries. Not bad really.
I'm not touching this one either.

Upvote 0

brich

Folks..... Remain Calm...
3-4 hours without your sunscreen is not a life or death situation. And if it is, $20 is not to high a price to pay in the giftshop if you just have to get to those parks before your sunscreen arrives...

Boy I hope Disney compensates air travelers for this international inconvenience...:rolleyes:

Upvote 0

shoppingnut

Yeah, really, 4 hours without suncreen, how horrible... I went 8 hours a few days ago at a waterpark and came back mildly burned...

Well, all I can say is that you're a very lucky individual. I went to Typhoon Lagoon for 5 hours last month and even with re-applying the sunscreen, still had some areas that got lightly burned that I must have missed in one of the applications that I made every 1 1/2 hrs. If I didn't re-apply so much or not have any at all I would have had a burn so bad it would have gone to sun poisioning for sure. That is no way I'd want to spend my vacation after looking forward to it for so long and paying so much money to be laid up in my hotel room with a fever and the chills and not being able to stand anything touching it.

Upvote 0

shoppingnut

Folks..... Remain Calm...
3-4 hours without your sunscreen is not a life or death situation. And if it is, $20 is not to high a price to pay in the giftshop if you just have to get to those parks before your sunscreen arrives...

The problem is that Disney won't have any on the shelves for anyone to buy because it's not like a souvenier item that they have thousands in stock. The toiletry items are more of "convenience" items in case you run out or forgot it, so the stock on hand isn't the same.

Upvote 0

DisneyBride94

Suncream is the least of your worries if you are travelling from the UK. Today people travelling are not allowed anything other than travel documents, essential baby items and limited sanitary items - no liquids and no books or games to amuse the children on flights upto 11 hours. But I would rather it be this way and be safe, its just they way it is.

No books? Wow... you'd think they'd at the very least allow books... or provide some onboard... I couldn't imagine a flight without books... Now that my 6 year old can read--books are such a great thing...and he can read them to his 4 year old sister. (I still have to occupy the baby).

BUt of course, we are at least flying JetBlue which has personal TVs at every chair.

I am all for the increased security measures...whatever it takes... I'll ship down a box of toiletries, bathing suits, sunblock, Pampers, pajamas and the all important Halloween costumes (For MNSSHP which we attend the night of our arrival) for each of my famil members so that it will be there waiting for us upon arrival. I won't worry about a carry on...

I am curious about cell-phones though... DH and I each have one, plus DH usually brings his laptop with us in case he's needed at work... I wouldn't mind if they checked these at the gate and returned them to you upon deplaning... I'm sure by the time I travel at the end of September, they'll have somethign figured out....

Thank God I'm a breastfeeding mamma and don't have to worry about even brinigng formula... I wouldn't want to "taste" that stuff to prove to security it's safe... blech... :hurl:

I think I'll just put an extra diaper and wipes in a plastic baggy...

I'm goign to be looking of a see-through plastic carry on bag so I can bring some "allowed" essentials for my domestic flight...

I'm really liking that "contiuous spray" sunblock--works great on kids... I hope that one will be allowed... if not, as I said....I'll be shipping a box of essentials to allow me to use the DME without trouble...

Upvote 0

DisneyBride94

We used "We Go Shop" and they were fine... it was helpful because we ordered diapers and swimmies for the baby which are bulky to pack... plus we ordered some fresh fruits and veggies to snack on because; otherwise we find it rather difficult to get your 5-7 fruits and veggies each day... and we like to TRY to do so... They only forgot one thing form our order...

We used to take Tiffany TC and do a grocery store shop....but now we use DME and love the convenience of not having to tote our luggage along with strollers and little ones....

Upvote 0

DisneyBride94

The problem is that Disney won't have any on the shelves for anyone to buy because it's not like a souvenier item that they have thousands in stock. The toiletry items are more of "convenience" items in case you run out or forgot it, so the stock on hand isn't the same.

Maybe I'll ship down a couple of cases of sunblock and sell them on the black market at the Beach Club. :) :D

Upvote 0

Nemo14

As has been mentioned before, if you don't put the ME tags on your luggage, you can retrieve them yourself and have everything you need when you arrive. It's really not that big of a deal.:rolleyes:

Upvote 0

shoppingnut

As has been mentioned before, if you don't put the ME tags on your luggage, you can retrieve them yourself and have everything you need when you arrive. It's really not that big of a deal.:rolleyes:

But it will be if everyone starts doing that it's going to be a problem. Maybe have one small suitcase for all the things you'll need when checking in and just check that one without the DME tag and collect on other end and let the rest be delivered.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom