airport security

Status
Not open for further replies.

alliemom

In light of the heightened security at the airports travelers are no longer able to carry liquids, gels or pastes in your carry on bags. This means that we are not able to carry that critical Suntan lotion and have to pack it in our checked bags. I am happy to follow these rules as it will ease my mind traveling next week but was thinking, wouldn't it be nice if Disney provided a sample size of Suntan lotion at check in for those of us using Magical Express as our checked bags will not arrive for quite some time after we get to the resort. Even if they just had a bottle on the desk at check in so that we can put some on our children so that they do not burn as we walk through the parks or lay by the pools for those first couple of hours? Just a thought,that way we wouldn't have to pay out the nose for suntan lotion at the gift shop when we all ready have it packed in out bags?

mypalStitch

Does anyone know if the resort stores sell nursery water? We leave next week and I have a 6 month old on formula. I know I can bring a few bottles on the carryon, but I was planning on bringing a gallon with me, before today. I will need it for the rest of the week, and will have all the other essentials packed in the suitcase, so it would be foolish to rent a car or do a grocery service just for the nursery water. I know I can use tap water in an emergency, but don't want to do that all week.

Upvote 0

Nemo14

But it will be if everyone starts doing that it's going to be a problem. Maybe have one small suitcase for all the things you'll need when checking in and just check that one without the DME tag and collect on other end and let the rest be delivered.
That's what I meant.

Upvote 0

shoppingnut

Does anyone know if the resort stores sell nursery water? We leave next week and I have a 6 month old on formula. I know I can bring a few bottles on the carryon, but I was planning on bringing a gallon with me, before today. I will need it for the rest of the week, and will have all the other essentials packed in the suitcase, so it would be foolish to rent a car or do a grocery service just for the nursery water. I know I can use tap water in an emergency, but don't want to do that all week.

I hope that they don't view the baby water as regular water and take it from you, I'd check with the airlines and if so, buy the pre-mix formula for at least the plane ride and pack the powder. I don't recall seeing the baby water you're referring to at the resorts. Can you just use regular bottled water?

Upvote 0

TAC

NO I did not mention DME, it was in the original post.

Part of your original post, note the part in bold:

shoppingnut said:
I hope disney does do something like provide small bottles of sunscreen because otherwise no one will be in the parks or at the pool, everyone will be holdup in their rooms waiting for their luggage that contains sunscreen. The fact that you won't be out spending $$'s should hopefully push them into action.

OK, so you implied DME.

shoppingnut said:
People who stay at a Disney resort get lots of perks that others do not, for example EMH. Disney has the right to give whatever perks it wants to their hotel guests. Also, if I stay in the value or moderates, why don't I get complimentary hand lotion in my room like the deluxes, hmmm maybe because I'm spending less money..

Irrevalent to the situation.

shoppingnut said:
No I won't have to deal with my luggage not being delivered, because then I won't put the DME tage on it and I'll just collect it and take it with me on the bus. No one says because you're using DME I have to let them deliver the luggage. However, the MCO airport has seen the great benefit of the luggage handling in the fact that they aren't going to have to build another terminal for some time. So, if everyone starts collecting luggage and taking it aboard the bus, DME is going to have to analyze why and if they can prevent it as the whole intention was for the bus to be loaded with guests and take off to the resorts quickly.

Maybe you will not be permitted.

Upvote 0

shoppingnut

Part of your original post, note the part in bold:

OK, so you implied DME.

Irrevalent to the situation.

Maybe you will not be permitted.

1. Because I implied it doesn't mean it has to be something just for DME, they could add it to the shampoo line up in all the rooms.

2. It is not irrelevant to the situation because you clearly state that:

or those that stay at a Disney resort should be given complementary sunscreen?

If Disney decides it is going to give out sunscreen to its resort guests, it has every right to do so, just like it gives them EMH. And if you stay at an off-property hotel down there and they don't give it out, Disney is under no obligation to provide it to you.

3. As far as things stand right now, I can collect my luggage and take it on the bus. But when people scream loud and often enough about why they need their luggage, well things might change.

Upvote 0

mkt

When a paradise is lost go straight to Disney™
Premium Member
*keeps mouth shut*

If you're willing to give up you freedom in the name of "security," let it be your perogative.

Me... I'm done flying commercial.

Upvote 0

kennygman

*keeps mouth shut*

If you're willing to give up you freedom in the name of "security," let it be your perogative.

Me... I'm done flying commercial.

I don't understand how we are giving up freedom by not carrying on certain items.? We aren't told we can't posses sunscreen, only that we can't take it on a commercial airliner.

Upvote 0

mkt

Premium Member
All liquids are banned, except for baby formula, labeled prescription medicines, and essential nonprescription meds.... and shoe removal is now mandatory. It's the little things that make traveling more comfortable.... like drinking a bottle of water when I'm thirsty in a terminal, or being able to rely on my own water rather than a flight attendant bringing me some.

Upvote 0

kal1484

Just got back from a small airport. There were tubs of items all around. However, I do want to make one point, especially after seeing what I saw at the airport:

Do not yell at the people at the bag check, screening, ect. It is not their fault that you cannot bring the items on the plane. They didn't wake up this morning and say "Let's be :X's to people today, and limit what they can bring, I'm bored" I felt so bad for the people today, getting yelled at and cursed at.

Upvote 0

shoppingnut

or being able to rely on my own water rather than a flight attendant bringing me some.

Because they are annoyed if they need to bring you more than one bottle or some airlines just have pitchers of water where they give you a cup. Also, the airlines don't carry that much extra drinks on board and lots of times run out of them.

Upvote 0

monorailguy01

We did not check our bags but the people sitting next to us did and they got there bags as soon as we got off and the hopped on the ME with us.. it was kinda cool to meet someone from the same state going to a different place...

so you sould get your bags the night or day u arrive..... unless it's crazy crowed then I would say you will have to wait for them, but until you do go to the parks and give Mickey and Goofy a HI FIVE for me... :D

Upvote 0

mkt

Premium Member
Because they are annoyed if they need to bring you more than one bottle or some airlines just have pitchers of water where they give you a cup. Also, the airlines don't carry that much extra drinks on board and lots of times run out of them.
there are reports of flights running out of water before taking off today

Upvote 0

TAC

1. Because I implied it doesn't mean it has to be something just for DME, they could add it to the shampoo line up in all the rooms.

2. It is not irrelevant to the situation because you clearly state that:

or those that stay at a Disney resort should be given complementary sunscreen?

If Disney decides it is going to give out sunscreen to its resort guests, it has every right to do so, just like it gives them EMH. And if you stay at an off-property hotel down there and they don't give it out, Disney is under no obligation to provide it to you.

3. As far as things stand right now, I can collect my luggage and take it on the bus. But when people scream loud and often enough about why they need their luggage, well things might change.

Whatever. You win.

I'm done with this thread.

Upvote 0

newfanatic

One thought. Apply your sunscreen before leaving the house the morning that you are flying, or even putting on a layer before you go through security. For the most of us, its 3-5 hour flight. If you know you are going to the parks or pool, put it on before you get on the plane.

***This advice was provided to you at no charge. :D
You SHOULD charge for the advice, it's good! Not only will it solve the sunscreen dilemma, but it will get the average family of 4 to the park or pool about 15-20 minutes earlier. That's about how long it takes me to sunblock my entire group.:animwink:

Upvote 0

Nemo14

I think we are losing track of something rather critical here. There were definitely terrorists and they definitely had a plan. Fortunately they were caught - hopefully they were all caught!
What would we think if there was no change in security because of this? We'd be outraged!

Upvote 0

shoppingnut

This suprises me because every flight I have taken since 9-11, all passangers going through the security check points have had to remove shoes and have them scanned.

Shoes yes, but not always sneakers. I gather they mean any kind of footwear now has to be taken off. I know out of Newark, all footwear has to be screened, but at LGA and MCO, most times I haven't had to take my sneakers off.

Upvote 0

NemoRocks78

Seized
Shoes yes, but not always sneakers. I gather they mean any kind of footwear now has to be taken off. I know out of Newark, all footwear has to be screened, but at LGA and MCO, most times I haven't had to take my sneakers off.
I was in BOS weeks ago and while a lot of people were taking their shoes off I never did and was never requested to either.

Upvote 0

shoppingnut

I think we are losing track of something rather critical here. There were definitely terrorists and they definitely had a plan. Fortunately they were caught - hopefully they were all caught!
What would we think if there was no change in security because of this? We'd be outraged!

Totally agree. It's just I'm outraged a bit with the security here in the US because they don't have the best equipment. For instance when I flew out of Newark last month in Terminal A they only had one of the sniffing machines you walk through and you still have to walk through the metal detector. Well security still didn't have their timing down and all of a sudden a whole bunch of us were cramming into this little space before the metal detector. Also, in Europe you don't have to remove your laptop from your case as they have better machines there.

Upvote 0

Eeyore

Mrs. WDWMAGIC [Assistant Administrator]
Premium Member
I was in BOS weeks ago and while a lot of people were taking their shoes off I never did and was never requested to either.

I was at Heathrow just over a week ago and I wasn't asked to remove my shoes at security either. In fact with all the traveling I do I can only recall being asked to remove my shoes twice. My biggest complaint with airport security screenings is that they aren't consistent. If you have to remove your shoes for screening at one airport you should have to at all of them, otherwise- what's the point?

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom