Airfare is insane right now

captainkidd

Original Poster
Not a surprise as gas prices are through the roof, but I don't think I've ever seen fares as high as they are right now. Thankfully, we bought our airfare for July a couple months back. Flying from New England to Orlando, there is nothing available on weekends for under $400 round trip for the next 3 months. It's a shame. The weekend trip really has become a thing of the past because of airfare.

wilkeliza

Who are you booking through and where in the New England area? I am still finding Jet Blue to be affordable but it is going up. You are right though that you have to book a pretty far time out now. In December we were lucky enough to get ticket last minute for a January trip for about the same we had paid for them back when the first two were originally booked but I have seen tickets skyrocket from 100 dollars each way to over 500 dollars each way as it gets closer to the flight date.

wendysue

I wish it wasn't so far away, we would drive more often. But I got tickets for 200 RT from Chicago a couple weeks ago, so we are lucky, I guess. I got online every day and those tickets had been 364 the day before, so you just have to keep checking....

britdaw

We are driving, even though gas will probably cost us around $400 for the trip... But I'd rather pay the $400 than pay the $900 it was going to cost us to fly. :\
I hate that the prices are so skyjacked around tourist season! Seems like they know they're gonna get their money, so why not lower the prices, you know?

flynnibus

Premium Member
Not a surprise as gas prices are through the roof, but I don't think I've ever seen fares as high as they are right now. Thankfully, we bought our airfare for July a couple months back. Flying from New England to Orlando, there is nothing available on weekends for under $400 round trip for the next 3 months. It's a shame. The weekend trip really has become a thing of the past because of airfare.

I wouldn't call it insane just no longer crazy cheap. 300 or so was pretty common. But ive also have gone for sub 200 but that was the exception instead of the norm.

Woman is going to Tampa for 280 this weekend

mickeysshoes

Last week I got an email for Orbits with AWESOME deals to Orlando. Leaving from Washington DC area it was only $173 (with all fees inculded) round trip. Yes the times were not the best in the world...first flights out in the AM or last out in the PM.....but for $173 round trip that is super! So make sure you guys sign up with Orbits and keep checking them for deals. The only thing you have to watch out for is the baggage fees. They do not quote for SW and I dont we JetBlue very often...so you will have to baggage fees to this price is your use to flying with SW or JB.

captainkidd

Original Poster
I was telling my wife last night, enjoy this Disney trip this summer - Bad feeling it will be the last one for a while. Going forward, it will be vacations to places we can drive to. Gas prices are only supposed to get worse. Oil is the life blood of our economy and as it goes up, everything else will too. Our economy simply isn't strong enough (by a LONG shot) to deal with gas costing what is costs now, and what it will cost by Spring and Summer. It's going to snowball us right into a major recession, and if the government doesn't get off it's keister and do something, right into a depression.

nolatron

We usually fly Southwest as they're the only airline with non-stop flights to Orlando from New Orleans. Average fare for the 3 of us right now is like $900 roundtrip, which is just insane. 1-stop airlines tend to cost the same or more.

Our next trip probably won't be until February 2013. Unless we see a huge sale or something happen, I feel like we'll be driving instead as we'd probably only spend $200 or so in gas roundtrip.

mickeysshoes

I was telling my wife last night, enjoy this Disney trip this summer - Bad feeling it will be the last one for a while. Going forward, it will be vacations to places we can drive to. Gas prices are only supposed to get worse. Oil is the life blood of our economy and as it goes up, everything else will too. Our economy simply isn't strong enough (by a LONG shot) to deal with gas costing what is costs now, and what it will cost by Spring and Summer. It's going to snowball us right into a major recession, and if the government doesn't get off it's keister and do something, right into a depression.

DH and I were talking about our jobs and how when we get new ones (he has been unemployed now for 2 months and I am looking) we need to get ones with that have offices with in MAX driving time of 5 - 6 to Disney. :lol: Becuase I dont want to drive the 14 it takes now and flights are just getting out of control. 5 hour drive with an Annal Pass and I would be in heaven!!!!!:D

Dwarful

We were pretty luck to grab $200 rd trip non stop on SW. Of course it was the first flight out ...6AM and the last flight back 8PM. Normally we drive, but this year we are going with a bigger group and decided to max. our time it was better to drive. Honestly for our familiy of 4 I don't think with $800 in airfare it will be much more expensive to fly vs. the 18 hour drive down and back...esp. if gas gets to $4 a gal. or beyond.

ddbowdoin

agree... we have AP's now, basically due to the fact that our trip in July in 11 days, but we also wanted to go back.

My fiance teaches in a private school that has 2 weeks of spring vacation in march rather then a Feb and April break. Needless to say, we wanted to take a quick 3 or 4 day weekend trip... 440 from Logan! I locked in my July trip at 290 and I have watched that flight slowly work its way to 350.

ddbowdoin

my overall problem with flights is wasting your time... I can get cheaper flights but 1.) I dont want to connect, I much prefer direct flights, but 2 is the major kicker... 2.) I can't stand the notion of flying out of Logan late (therefore wasting a day at Disney) and flying out at 8AM from MCO (spending $$$ on a disney room just to have to get up at the crack a&& of dawn to fly!)

I try to leave Boston around 7-9AM, get down and get into the parks. And head home around 7-9PM so I can have a great day before we leave. I am picky so that is why we are having problems finding flights

ddbowdoin

my overall problem with flights is wasting your time... I can get cheaper flights but 1.) I dont want to connect, I much prefer direct flights, but 2 is the major kicker... 2.) I can't stand the notion of flying out of Logan late (therefore wasting a day at Disney) and flying out at 8AM from MCO (spending $$$ on a disney room just to have to get up at the crack a&& of dawn to fly!)

I try to leave Boston around 7-9AM, get down and get into the parks. And head home around 7-9PM so I can have a great day before we leave. I am picky so that is why we are having problems finding flights

flynnibus

Premium Member

This is why in part having a car is beneficial. We don't waste money on Disney rooms (or tickets!) for nights we can't benefit from them. We opt to take maybe one more day of time, to save a bit of money. But as you say with your airline preferences.. it's always about 'time is money' and what are you willing to pay for or not. Not everyone has the time flexibility, so they have to pay more.

Connections aren't bad... switching planes and long layovers.. those are what stink. But connections also increase risk of delays.

I do things like drive, stay the night in a cheap hotel, then switch to disney mode, stay onsite, and then decide what to do on the outbound leg.

But I did send the wife out at 4:30am the other day to drive to a FURTHER airport rather than the local airport to save about $80/ticket just this week :) For me, driving an hour each way was worth saving $160. YMMV :)

PolynesianPrincess

We're driving in April. All the way up here in Maine and the flights from both Portland and Boston were over $300 per person, with long connections and terrible flight times.

I just today booked our flights for September. We got lucky with an 8:20am flight from PWM, one connection (there are no non-stops from PWM, sadly) and a 5:20pm return time. Both flight times we wanted for $242 on AirTran. For PWM, that's pretty cheap. Surprsingly Logan was more! We booked them now for fear that they will skyrocket and we won't be able to afford them.

AylaRanzz

When I went in August 2010, from Boston, our flights were about 230 each roundtrip on Delta. I'm not going to Disney this year, but both vacations I am going on this year (Chicago and Minnesota), I was able to get flights for under 300 roundtrip respectively. So, I'm not too too worried about flights to Orlando next year.

dixiegirl

I Agree Airfare is nuts, and our long weekend trips are so a thing of the past!
But for us flying from providence, for the 4 of our was around $1,000 which is pretty good, with southwest..and I've seen it stay the same so far, no going up or down Even looked into drining to Logan and seeing if that would make it any cheaper, nope more money...I'm not complaining just as long as we're going to Disney!! I even suggested that we drive to the hubby, yeah I got the "look" and the "are you crazy?" I guess drving to Myrtle Beach is our limit!! Even that is too long!!

Cmdr_Crimson

I've been keeping a watchful eye on my trip. Since I'm going In Jan/Feb 2013 for 14 days and they just released the dates for United. And the strange thing is the new days they add the newer date it's ridiculously overpriced it goes around $805 (And this is from coming out of Chicago). However a few days later when newer dates arrive the price for the date I want drops..It's now at $339..Which makes me a little happier.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom