after fantasyland

Californian Elitist

Sounds pretty reasonable to me raven... and in the mean time, rnese, you could take them other less expensive places and give them some fun different experiences. (There are many cool places besides Disney in this country that kids can and do enjoy, shocking as that may be to many..).

I think it's reasonable too. If one can spend hundreds and thousands for WDW, they can do the same for the DLR. Agreed on your second statement as well. It doesn't take much for a kid to be happy and have fun.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
The debate as it applies to cloning attractions isn't a question of whether people can find a way to visit both resorts (putting aside international for now), the question is, how many guests actually do visit both resorts? If most people only visit one or the other, then there shouldn't be much harm in cloning.

BTW, I am in the "visited both resorts" group.

rnese

You know, I've been convinced. I'm totally AGAINST cloning, now that my new friends Raven24 and AquaDuck have brainwashed me. I say we tear down Small World and The Haunted Mansion in WDW, since they existed in Disneyland first, demolish ToT in California since it was in Florida first, when Toy Story 4 comes out, only show it on the west coast...let's keep it "unique". Heck, how can Mickey be in more than one place! Get rid of HIM altogether in Florida! All the characters for that matter. Florida should only get that silly EPCOT Bear, what's-his-name!

Of course, I'm kidding. I do agree that everything shouldn't be "cloned". However, they could bring a version of Carlsland, for example, to DHS. Perhaps theme it differently, like use the Cars 2 scenery (driving through the futuristic looking streets of Tokyo in the Grand Prix) for an example. It can be done...it should be done...JUST FOR ME AquaDuck!

Californian Elitist

I know. I enjoy poking fun as well.

BTW...Space Ship Earth SHOULD be cloned! It would look great next to the Matterhorn.

I disagree. It would look completely out of place and it's too big. Matterhorn dwarfs Aurora's castle, so it looks fine as a mountain over a castle. Spaceship Earth would completely ruin the look and effect once you get to the end of Main Street at Disneyland, and see a mountain and a castle.

M.rudolf

Exactly. To me, the differences between the parks make them worth visiting. Who wants the same thing all the time? That's exactly why I'm glad California didn't get WestCot. What happened to uniqueness?

I have a question for some. If you knew Westerners who had no plans whatsoever to visit WDW, would you try to change their mind and encourage them to go, or would you tell them to not spend the extra money and forget about it?
Right now raven I'd say go to DL, save the money and go somewheres else forget about dw, DL is the better of the resorts at the present time

doctornick

If two places, specifically theme parks, have the same exact lands / rides what gives me any incentive to go to both? If x has a really cool ride that only it has, wouldn't I be more inclined to go there than if x and y both have it? If they both have it then it's nothing unique.

Because the reality is that the vast vast vast majority of guests to a Disney resort are only going to visit one location in their lifetime. Would it be good for Disney to get guests to visit different resorts? Absolutely, if it means more overall time spend at Disney. So, yes, trying to give different resorts unique qualities to encourage people to visit different ones does have some value.

But is it a lot of value? Heck no. Because the number of people who are even considering multiple Disney resorts for a vacation are a very small and select number. Most people are just looking at their closest and easiest to get to resort and thinking "do I go to Disney or do I go on some other vacation?". So, it makes sense to make each individual resort as much of a draw as possible -- to encourage people to go to Disney (and stay longer).

The folks who are (say) generally WDW visitors who are choosing to go to California to see Carsland are more likely cannibalizing WDW than generating new Disney visits -- I know I was one of them when I went to DLR this past summer. If we didn't go to DLR, we would have gone to WDW. The fact that we went to DLR didn't generate more business for Disney, it just was a shell game moving money from one branch of the company to another.

Having cloned attractions, especially when copying very successful ones, is beneficial by saving costs (and thus allowing for "bang for the buck") and generating buzz because a well regarded attraction is now being available "locally". Disney gets a lot more value out of making each resort as strong as possible as efficiently (in terms of $$$) as possible even it means copying attractions. It is far easier to make that "once in a lifetime" WDW visitor come every 5 years or that "once every 5 years" WDW visitor become an annual guest -- by offering higher level of attractions -- than it is to make that every 1-2 year WDW guest into a "we'll go to both WDW and DLR every year" guest.

I think people on these boards tend to be a very extreme group that are small in number when it comes to visiting Disney. Using the attitudes here as a basis for making multi-million theme park decisions would probably be very bad business. A more typical guest, of which there are millions, is going to be a much better person to consider and most of them don't care whether ToT is in multiple parks since they'll only ever ride it in one in their lifetime and wouldn't make a cross-country (or international) trip to ride it even if it wasn't available at the park they were visiting.

doctornick

That said... I think there is a legit argument that by cloning all of Carsland for DHS that you are robbing DCA of everything that makes it pretty unique as a destination (except for World of Color, I would argue). All the best rides -- Soarin', RSR, ToT, TSMM, LM, Turtle Talk, even Muppervision and Tough to be a Bug -- all all available in Florida. That leaves stuff like Grizzly River Run and Goofy's Sky School as the top "unique" attractions, both of which I enjoy but aren't the stuff that makes a park a destination. So, I do agree that it would be good for DCA to have something unique that defines it and makes it special and I think that is a good argument against cloning Carsland in WDW -- not that cloning attractions is intrinsically bad.

As a counter example, I think bringing Mysterious Island/Journey to the Center of the Earth to WDW would be great, because TDS would still be unique due to a number of other attractions (and general amazing theming).

I also think there should be a much lower threshold for copying rides between continents than their should be between parks in the same general area. Meaning, if a great ride is in Asia, it should be brought to one of the US parks and/or Paris. Same goes with anything in Europe or in America. It's one thing to debate the reasonableness of copying rides between DL and WDW where they would be some (still relatively small) overlap of clientele; it's another thing entirely for worrying about whether someone can find the same ride in Hong Kong and in Florida since the number of people visiting all those parks is a rounding error on the accounting books.

rnese

I disagree. It would look completely out of place and it's too big. Matterhorn dwarfs Aurora's castle, so it looks fine as a mountain over a castle. Spaceship Earth would completely ruin the look and effect once you get to the end of Main Street at Disneyland, and see a mountain and a castle.

Raven24...I was joking. Of course the Golf Ball should stay unique to EPCOT.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom