After Expedition Everest?

speck76

RSoxNo1 said:
The speed of the vehicles through Kilimanjaro Safaris is a necessity. They view that ride as an attraction that 100% of guests will want to see. For that reason it has to have a huge capacity per hour. It has 3 loading docks and huge vehicles that are probably no more than 20 seconds apart. Even with all this, the line is the longest in the park.
typically the ride has a 5 minute or less wait after 4pm.......perhaps they should push more FP's to later in the day, speeding up the line in the AM, and extending the line in the PM.

With EE opening, KS will perhaps not be the signature attraction at DAK....it could also lose some visitors (or a percentage of daily guests that ride the attraction).

nibblesandbits

RSoxNo1 said:
The speed of the vehicles through Kilimanjaro Safaris is a necessity. They view that ride as an attraction that 100% of guests will want to see. For that reason it has to have a huge capacity per hour. It has 3 loading docks and huge vehicles that are probably no more than 20 seconds apart. Even with all this, the line is the longest in the park.

speck76 said:
typically the ride has a 5 minute or less wait after 4pm.......perhaps they should push more FP's to later in the day, speeding up the line in the AM, and extending the line in the PM.

With EE opening, KS will perhaps not be the signature attraction at DAK....it could also lose some visitors (or a percentage of daily guests that ride the attraction).

I agree with Speck...KS is one of few of the main (ie signature) attractions AK actually has to draw people. That's why the lines are humongously long.

Crazy Harry

I would like to see light hearted fantasyland style dark rides and epcot style dark rides like possibley a tour of the rain forest and it's animals and a conservation of animal habitats which would coexist with the conservation station. Ak doesn't need many attractions, and they don't all need to be massive high thrill etickets, but maticulously (sp?) planned supporting attractions to round things out. I would love to see them built a port type area to celebrate animals of the sea as well which would compliment living seas like other ak attractions compliment attractions at other parks with certain simularities.

I'd also enjoy a camp mickey minnie rehab into an ak fantasy land type area with attractions I spoke of before like jungle book and the lion king. Or keep those attractions for the other parts of the park and do a little fantasy area for rides like toad and narnia in the style of a fantasy village like hobbiton in LOTR.

RSoxNo1

nibblesandbits said:
I agree with Speck...KS is one of few of the main (ie signature) attractions AK actually has to draw people. That's why the lines are humongously long.

That's agreeing with me... not speck.

RSoxNo1

I understand not all attractions are created equally, but a look at Disney's official website has the following number of attractions per park:

Magic Kingdom:
Total: 36
Big Thrills: 2
Fun for Little ones: 14
Mild But Wild Thrills: 8
Sports and Recreation: 1
Other Attractions: 11

Epcot:
Total: 39 (21 if you don't count the pavillions as separate attractions)
Big Thrills: 3
Fun for Little ones: 4
Mild But Wild Thrills: 2
Pavillions: 18
Other Attractions: 12

MGM:
Total: 17
Big Thrills: 3
Fun for Little Ones: 1
Live Entertainment: 5
Mild But Wild Thrills: 1
Other Attractions: 7

Animal Kingdom:
Total: 20
Animal Encounters: 7
Big Thrills: 1 (Soon to be 2)
Fun for Little ones: 6
Mild But Wild Thrills: 4
Other Attractions: 2

One of the problems at the animal Kingdom is that not enough people appreciate some of the Animal Encounters. The Oasis and Discovery Island walk throughs are great to do, but I admit I don't do them every time I go to the park, probably just once a trip. Perhaps adding more notable animals in these walk throughs (The Oasis has mostly birds, while Discovery Island has birds, Galapogos Turtles, Capybara) could entice more people to spend time in these areas. For those wondering, the Big Thrills are: Dinosaur, Tower of Terror, Star Tours, Rockin Roller Coaster, Soarin, Test Track, Mission Space, Space Mountain and Splash Mountain. Most of the major attractions fall into the Mild But Wild Thrills, except for the Magic Kingdom where about half of the Fun for little ones attractions are Disney classics (Peter pan, Small World, etc.)

Here's my proposal to help out the Animal Kingdom: An Asian Safari style ride or walk through that could contain Giant Pandas, Asian Elephants, Black Bears, Camels, Binturong, Fennec Fox, Goat, Red Pandas, Leopards, Lynx, Musk Ox, Orangutan, Reindeer, Siberian Tiger (I believe they're Bengal Tigers in the Maharaj Jungle Trek), and Wolverines.
A movie themed ride in Camp Minnie Mickey, be it Chronicles of Narnia, Journey to the Center of the Earth or a non movie based ride, Dragon Towers

Dayma

Crazy Harry said:
I would like to see light hearted fantasyland style dark rides and epcot style dark rides like possibley a tour of the rain forest and it's animals and a conservation of animal habitats which would coexist with the conservation station. Ak doesn't need many attractions, and they don't all need to be massive high thrill etickets, but maticulously (sp?) planned supporting attractions to round things out. I would love to see them built a port type area to celebrate animals of the sea as well which would compliment living seas like other ak attractions compliment attractions at other parks with certain simularities.

I really like this thinking

goofyfan13

drew_dawg2005ut said:
Now does anyone know what new roller coasters are coming to DL and DCA?

I've said it once, and I'll say it again, search, search, and search again. :brick:
Please use the default text, the one your using is just flat out obnoxious, and it's gentler on the eyes to use the default anyway.

goofyfan13

drew_dawg2005ut said:
Happy!
You guys need to live a little!:goodnevil

I'm all for a little expression, there are plenty of members who use colors when they post, they just choose a color thats readable, and they don't make the font obnoxiously large. :wave: Don't take it as you can't use colors and what not, just make it readable and keep it under control.

Crazy Harry

RSoxNo1 said:
Here's my proposal to help out the Animal Kingdom: An Asian Safari style ride or walk through that could contain Giant Pandas, Asian Elephants, Black Bears, Camels, Binturong, Fennec Fox, Goat, Red Pandas, Leopards, Lynx, Musk Ox, Orangutan, Reindeer, Siberian Tiger (I believe they're Bengal Tigers in the Maharaj Jungle Trek), and Wolverines.
A movie themed ride in Camp Minnie Mickey, be it Chronicles of Narnia, Journey to the Center of the Earth or a non movie based ride, Dragon Towers

I've never been to AK, so it's sometimes hard to get an accurate perception, but it seems like the animall attractions are lacking and some good additions and upgrades are also nessisary as r sox has suggested

Since the animal kingdom is all about ... animals..., more of the emphasis should be placed on them, the present living ones that is and not just AA ones or the general idea. Other than KS, none of the other top attractions feature live animals. I know there are flights of wonder and the jungle trek not to mention other spots around the park, but these should be the real draws. I would like to see an animal based attraction where it's indoor/outdoor, the animals' environments are recreated or fabricated and it's a real journey for the attendant to travel through these environments like into the mountains and such.

I would enjoy feed back about simular ideas from others who are more familiar with the park to gain a more accurate understanding of what we are working with and what would work for this park.

DarkMeasures

Crazy Harry said:
I've never been to AK, so it's sometimes hard to get an accurate perception, but it seems like the animall attractions are lacking and some good additions and upgrades are also nessisary as r sox has suggested

The Animal Exhibits are fine but they are more of a pain of doing more than once. People want things besides animals. I just want Primevil Whril to be rebuilt using the same type of Spinning Wildmouse Spinball Wizzard is.

RSoxNo1

Crazy Harry said:

Since the animal kingdom is all about ... animals..., more of the emphasis should be placed on them, the present living ones that is and not just AA ones or the general idea. Other than KS, none of the other top attractions feature live animals. I know there are flights of wonder and the jungle trek not to mention other spots around the park, but these should be the real draws. I would like to see an animal based attraction where it's indoor/outdoor, the animals' environments are recreated or fabricated and it's a real journey for the attendant to travel through these environments like into the mountains and such.

I would enjoy feed back about simular ideas from others who are more familiar with the park to gain a more accurate understanding of what we are working with and what would work for this park.

Perhaps an artctic dark ride featuring live Polar Bears and Penguins could be conceivable, but I doubt it would have much more popularity than the Sea Cabs did 10 years ago. Disney has recognized the need for thrills, and when the Animal Kingdom was in the concept phase the imagineers and Joe Rohde tried to sell the closeness of animal encounters as the big thrill. There was a meeting with top Disney Brass (Eisner, et all) in which during the meeting the imagineers had a tiger brought in on a leash (obviously with a trainer). The tiger walked around the room as Rohde was making his presentation as a means of showing the thrill of having a wild animal in such close proximity. Maharaj Jungle Trek was designed thusly, to provide guests with a close proximity to the animals (sometimes the only thing separating you from the Tigers is 3 inches of glass), but to most people this doesn't provide the same thrill as an 80 foot drop outside of a mountain (hence the necessity for Expedition Everest).

The Safari Ride works because there are many popular animals that can be showcased, not because of the story attached to it (save the bridge over the crocodiles that makes some people uneasy). As much as I enjoy the walk throughs, and the lack of time constraints they provide guests with (which is very nice after you rush through Kilimanjaro Safaris), I feel that if the Savannah was somehow converted to a walking path it would receive 1/2 the traffic. Even though the walk throughs are done extremely well, guests still get the zoo feeling while inside them. However, while on the Savannah guests get the feeling that they're actually in the Serangeti and these are free roaming wild animals. The attempts were made in Pangani Forest and Maharaj Jungle Trek to give the illusion of danger, but it's still somewhat masked. Any new animal attraction has to be closer to the Safari Ride than the walk throughs in order to "Thrill" the themepark guests.

disneylands

Account Suspended
I'm Probably going to get bashed for this, but from my point of view EE is not going to be as good as I once expected. I mean I hear that it has no inversions, only goes 50 miles an hour and the first drop is 80 feet I guess that isnt that bad... I mean I just pictured it to be some crazy coaster thats all. Oh well I guess I shouldnt judge a book by its cover right? I will definatly go on it still, I just pictured it a little differently.:eek:

RSoxNo1

It's designed to be a family Coaster. You also have to realize that big thrills like Space Mountain in the Magic Kingdom top out around 30 mph.

Rotel1026

RSoxNo1 said:
...the imagineers and Joe Rohde tried to sell the closeness of animal encounters as the big thrill. There was a meeting with top Disney Brass (Eisner, et all) in which during the meeting the imagineers had a tiger brought in on a leash (obviously with a trainer). The tiger walked around the room as Rohde was making his presentation as a means of showing the thrill of having a wild animal in such close proximity. Maharaj Jungle Trek was designed thusly, to provide guests with a close proximity to the animals (sometimes the only thing separating you from the Tigers is 3 inches of glass)

I had heard that story and can understand how a tiger in the same room with you could be thrilling, a run in with a tiger can have scary results (such as with Roy the magician in Vegas), but there's a big difference between being in a room with a wild animal and just being close to one at a park. Yes, you might only be separated by 3 inches of glass from a tiger but we know there's no way that tiger or gorilla are going to get thru that glass. Simply put, the animal exhibits at AK are great and top notch, better than just about any other zoo's or park but you cannot call AK's animal exhibits any more "thrilling" than anyone elses because there's no real thrill in the usual sense. That's what the rides are for and if someone at Disney actually thinks otherwise, then I think they need to be put in a room, alone with a tiger.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom