Adventureland Veranda - Skipper Canteen restaurant

PrincessNelly_NJ

I honestly wont be surprised if we see a menu change in the near future. Its always great for Disney to ry unique menus but we all know the masses will want something more plain jane.

MarkTwain

My family had the Mac, the pork and the lamb. Very excellent flavors. Very impressed by the staff. I would definitely do this again. The real tragedy here is no alcohol.

I wasn't going to say anything initially (didn't want to start any debates here), but I was surprised by the lack of alcohol. This seemed like a great opportunity to bring Trader Sam's-esque cocktails to Magic Kingdom.

note2001

Hey now...don't hate on Casey's. :)
You're right, no need to bring Casey's down.
I wasn't going to say anything initially (didn't want to start any debates here), but I was surprised by the lack of alcohol. This seemed like a great opportunity to bring Trader Sam's-esque cocktails to Magic Kingdom.

I'm neither pro nor con alcohol in the MK, but it would seem a bit redundant and pull away from Trader Sam's niche.

Be Our Guest's menu including alcohol in the evenings is a bit different than serving up mixed drinks. Wine and beer with a meal is traditional in many European countries. Having a Mai Tai with your meal, doesn't sound very traditional in my opinion. Could they add beer to this menu? Yes, but I don't think that would improve upon the experience nor make much more money for them. I'd like to see how the Veranda does without that.

MarkTwain

You're right, no need to bring Casey's down.

I'm neither pro nor con alcohol in the MK, but it would seem a bit redundant and pull away from Trader Sam's niche.

Be Our Guest's menu including alcohol in the evenings is a bit different than serving up mixed drinks. Wine and beer with a meal is traditional in many European countries. Having a Mai Tai with your meal, doesn't sound very traditional in my opinion. Could they add beer to this menu? Yes, but I don't think that would improve upon the experience nor make much more money for them. I'd like to see how the Veranda does without that.

True. I think that's a unique justification BoG has for drink sales; it wouldn't really feel like a French restaurant without a wine list.

That said, you could say the same about a colonial-era tavern like Liberty Tree not serving beer... but I'll let it go.

flyerjab

That's a shame that it didn't seem to quite live up to what you were hoping it would be. Not a bad review for sure, but not an overall good one. My whole family seemed to enjoy it. And we did have the same appetizers that you did but my wife and I each had the pho with duck and it was excellent. We did not get any desert though.

The other thing that I thought was great was the theming. I guess I don't need to have everything themed to the level that Jock Lindey's or Trader Sam's is. I thought the theming, especially in the 2 smaller rooms, was spot on. In time it wouldn't surprise me if more things appear in the mess hall, especially when the grand opening banner comes down.

Chris82

Looking at these pictures, I found myself strangely disappointed that there's not a single anaconda wrapping a single chandelier... It's like the interior designer never even rode the Jungle Cruise...

But then I had a realization. If they had just called this "The Adventureland Veranda," I'd actually be a little excited about it. It's certainly an attractive design, and I'm happy for the culinary variety. But because they named it after the Jungle Cruise, my expectations were very different. To me, the Jungle Cruise is all about black humor - broken tiger cages and shrunken heads and jolly SOS signals... and the design just doesn't seem to reflect that aspect. So I suspect I just need to adjust my expectations. It sounds like most people have enjoyed the food anyway.

lostpro9het

So how are those falafels? I have yet to find a place in Disney World that makes them well.
Can't speel for Skipper ' s but the DW just had a great falafel pita here at Mara:
20151223_120821.jpg

Horizons78

Grade "A" Funny...
That's a shame that it didn't seem to quite live up to what you were hoping it would be. Not a bad review for sure, but not an overall good one. My whole family seemed to enjoy it.

I second this sentiment, and I'm a bit surprised by the review. Was at MK last weekend with friends and we ate there on Friday and Sunday. Among the items we ordered:
  • S.E.A. Shu Mai
  • Spicy Pho Noodle Bowl with Duck
  • Skip's Mac & Cheese
  • Tastes Like Chicken
  • Coconut Bar
Everyone felt that the food and staff were great, and the meals were priced reasonably for what we received.

Our service was not slow, but it was not the usual warp-speed experience which leaves you feeling that they want to get you in, out, and the table turned as quickly as possible. I'd love for this pace to stay, but the cynic in me assumes that once the Canteen is available for reservations the rush of the daily crowd will ensure / require a different timing.

Overall, our experience was excellent.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom