Adventureland Veranda - Skipper Canteen restaurant

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
If you already have an adr for a different restaurant the day you want to go, you will be able to switch for a reservation at skipper on that same day for no charge. Just like if you swapped your reservation for a different day, restaurant or, time between other restaurants, same no charge rules apply. It's also Disney's way of staying walk up based but integrating the app, reservation line and, concierge/GR into the process so it's not a complete shot in the dark hoping to get in without a long wait.
The same day reservation at Skipper Canteen won't be available on the app, at least for now. It will only be available via phone or jungleskippercanteen.com

note2001

The same day reservation at Skipper Canteen won't be available on the app, at least for now. It will only be available via phone or jungleskippercanteen.com

This sounds familiar - Although not same day reservations, Be Our Guest had its own page for awhile. The above link seems to be a re-direct into the dining pages on MDE, for now.

indyumd

Are they launching a site for it? Right now that just redirects to the existing page on the Disney World site.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Are they launching a site for it? Right now that just redirects to the existing page on the Disney World site.
It is that URL, but unsure if it will be a redirect onto the main site, or if it will change to be its own self contained site.

tribbleorlfl

Although we don't usually see it happen, I'm betting this location has failed the test phase and they're planning on reworking something back in the kitchen before they can open it up fully for reservations.

If reports in general are telling us that food is taking far too long to be served, I wonder, what is an acceptable amount of time guests should be expected to wait? If they're not meeting or beating that time, something is wrong back in the kitchen. Might be a space problem, might be a flow issue. Or, could have to do with a difficult menu. (Who knows.)
I haven't personally eaten there yet, but my opinion of the menu is that while it's certainly an eclectic menu with exotic flavors, it's not an overly-complicated menu to prepare. Entrees like these should take no more than 15 minutes to get out to the table, I dealt closer to 12.

Based on my tour of the LTT kitchen (which I mentioned in the thread about LTT's extended closure last year) way back in Culinary school, this is really too small a kitchen to support 3 restaurants (especially when the menus are so different). Unless they expanded the facilities in the LTT closure and Veranda re-do, I can imagine the cooks tripping over each other (if there are separate staffs for each restaurant) or struggling to coordinate tickets for 3 different locations. I had a hotel with a shared kitchen for the sit down restaurant, buffet restaurant, room service and catering. Even with using as many common menu items and ingredients as I could, it was a challenge.

Spikerdink

This was the one restaurant that I was looking forward to experiencing on my trip last week. Every morning from late November on, I would log onto MDE and see if reservations were available. When they announced the same day reservations recently, I knew I would log on first thing that morning and book a table. While I was waiting to board my airplane last Wednesday, I logged on a booked a table for 6:30 pm.

My friend and I arrived right on time, and we were told that they were running behind. They took my cell phone number and said they would text me when my table was ready. We had time to go over and walk around the Treehouse before our table was ready. The hostess said they were running behind in getting people seated and it would be a short wait. We had no problem with the delay. Once we did get to our table, the main hall, while busy, often had one table that would sit empty for a long period of time.

Our server was fantastic - Skipper Robert - just the right blend of snark and humor. He was the best part of the experience.

I was in the main hell, and the theming for me was fine - I know some people felt it was not immersive enough, but for me it had interesting artifacts to keep my eyes entertained while I waited for my meal.

Sadly, the food did not live up to my expectations. We ordered the falafel appetizer. Visually appealing - overcooked and dry. For entrees, I ordered the Char Sui Pork while my friend ordered the Trader Sam's Head On Shrimp. I found the pork dry and the glaze that coated the pork and some of the rice was too sweet for my palate. The rice was a bit off also - can't describe what I did not like about it, but it wasn't the best. My friend was disappointed in the shrimp. Had issues with the glaze and felt that it wasn't cooked correctly. To his credit, Robert sensed our disappointment and asked if he could bring us something else. As we had both eaten the majority of the food, we really didn't want anything else. It wasn't horrible - more akin to something you would get at your elderly Aunt Edna's house when she forgot to take the food out of the oven than to a new dining experience at WDW.

Would I try the restaurant again? Yes, but my friend and I agreed that within a few months the menu will be reshaped and serious changes may be taking place in the kitchen.

roj2323

Went to skippers canteen today and the food was great aside from the Chinese broccoli?? Which I'm not sure why they are serving to a picky largely American audience.

Anyway the restaurant is interesting but it's lacking in a few areas.

Firstly the theming is too polished. I was expecting jungle cruise eclectic and I got fancy chairs with leopard print and nice looking tables which reminded me more of Be Our Guest than anything else. What I wanted to see is multiple table types and colors, miss matched chairs, and mason jars for cups.

The second thing that bothered me is the jungle cruise atmosphere (jokes and what not) began and ended with the seaters. Isn't the wait staff supposed to be throwing in a few jokes and having fun with the guests? Heck I'd even be ok with just a few actors walking through the dining room bantering back and forth while possibly interacting with a guest from time to time. I guess what I'm trying to say is I was expecting more of an experince verses boring dining in a fancy room, no different than the local chili's restaurant.

Btw if no one has posted it, here's what the bathrooms look like:
image.jpeg

I was the only person inside when this was taken btw.

dreamfinder

The second thing that bothered me is the jungle cruise atmosphere (jokes and what not) began and ended with the seaters. Isn't the wait staff supposed to be throwing in a few jokes and having fun with the guests? Heck I'd even be ok with just a few actors walking through the dining room bantering back and forth while possibly interacting with a guest from time to time. I guess what I'm trying to say is I was expecting more of an experince verses boring dining in a fancy room, no different than the local chili's restaurant.

The wait staff I've had continued the puns/corny jokes. Not sure if I got the exception or the norm.

DisneyJeff

In the Parks
No
Went to skippers canteen today and the food was great aside from the Chinese broccoli?? Which I'm not sure why they are serving to a picky largely American audience.

Firstly the theming is too polished. I was expecting jungle cruise eclectic and I got fancy chairs with leopard print and nice looking tables which reminded me more of Be Our Guest than anything else. What I wanted to see is multiple table types and colors, miss matched chairs, and mason jars for cups.

Btw if no one has posted it, here's what the bathrooms look like: View attachment 132051

Pet Peeve Time... Why can't people pick up after themselves? If you dry your hands with a paper towel and you miss the garbage can, pick up the paper towel and try again. Repeat this process until the paper ends up in the trash. /RantOver

BTW, @roj2323, I don't mean to imply that you did this. I assume the bathroom was in this condition when you got there.

wdrive

Pet Peeve Time... Why can't people pick up after themselves? If you dry your hands with a paper towel and you miss the garbage can, pick up the paper towel and try again. Repeat this process until the paper ends up in the trash. /RantOver

BTW, @roj2323, I don't mean to imply that you did this. I assume the bathroom was in this condition when you got there.

You wouldn't believe how some people leave Disney restrooms.

BernardandBianca

Went here this past weekend for lunch, and it was a pleasant-enough experience. Reminded us a lot of BoG. The jokes were lame (like the ride itself), and the food was unique. Not my taste, but that is personal, and nothing to do with preparation. Will we go back? Possibly, once they start accepting TIW cards. Not before then, not worth it.

roj2323

Lol you are talking to a former WDW showkeeper. This sort of thing drives me crazy

roj2323

You wouldn't believe how some people leave Disney restrooms.

yea I would. I've cleaned up names written in poop on the wall, toilets literally covered in both poop and or blood, soap running in puddles from the sinks, Out of service urinal covers filled with urine from people peeing on it, Flooded floors from people flushing entire rolls of TP all at once to purposely flood the bathroom, trash cans in ADA stalls covered in urine, Companion restrooms that had to be aired out because someone smoked pot in it (always the one by studio catering company), boogers on the mirrors........shale I go on?

RSoxNo1

Btw if no one has posted it, here's what the bathrooms look like: View attachment 132051
I couldn't agree more. It looks too nice to be done by the Skippers. I'd love to hear announcements over a PA system throughout dinner similar to the queue. The main mess hall is decorated not themed.

Chris82

I couldn't agree more. It looks too nice to be done by the Skippers. I'd love to hear announcements over a PA system throughout dinner similar to the queue. The main mess hall is decorated not themed.

Yeah, and the word "Canteen" definitely suggests something makeshift, rustic, and edge-of-civilizationy, doesn't it?

I still think Disney should've kept the name the "Adventureland Veranda," or renamed it to something similar. Because that's what it seems to be in reality - a tasteful upgrade to the original counter service eatery. Then people's expectations might be for a moderately exotic, tropical-looking, nice sit-down restaurant, not an in-your-face themed experience like Sci-Fi Dine In or 50's Prime Time.

thequirkysarah

Hmm interesting, we have visited Canada mutiple times from Vancouver Island to Toronto and I have always come home craving flavor, spice or anything. It is the most bland food in all of the countries I have ever visited. Now granted we have family who live there who I know love good food so it would not be fair for me to assume the whole country is lacking in flavor or diversity based on my locations I visited of British Columbia or Ontario would it? I know the community we live in the small area of the midwest have tons of Indian, Asian, mediterranean and yes southern foods. I am talking authentic native menus too. You know what they say when you assume things don't you?.....

Okay, I've lurked for quite a while just taking in the info from this site, but YOU HAVE GOT TO BE KIDDING ME HERE. You have gone to two places in Canada and now you are an expert on restaurant selection in our country? Have you been to Vancouver proper? It is well known as a great city for food. You can find literally anything you want. Authentic, inauthentic, cheap, refined, familiar, or adventurous. Vancouver has it all. Perhaps you just didn't look very hard? Also, I lived for 20 years in the Midwest and while the selection in my hometown is growing as of late, it does not hold a candle to Vancouver.

pajammies

yea I would. I've cleaned up names written in poop on the wall, toilets literally covered in both poop and or blood, soap running in puddles from the sinks, Out of service urinal covers filled with urine from people peeing on it, Flooded floors from people flushing entire rolls of TP all at once to purposely flood the bathroom, trash cans in ADA stalls covered in urine, Companion restrooms that had to be aired out because someone smoked pot in it (always the one by studio catering company), boogers on the mirrors........shale I go on?

ummm, no please. o_O

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom