Adventureland Veranda - Skipper Canteen restaurant

sshindel

The Epcot Manifesto
I didn't read every page of this thread (yet), so sorry if this has been said...

What I've always thought would be neat would be a Tiki Room themed restaurant with talking/singing birds and such. Kind of like a Rainforest Café but with some of the characters from the attraction and the occasional song, thunderstorm, and all of the various birds, flowers, etc. all doing the occasional number during the dinner.
So did Walt.
http://www.disneydispatch.com/conte...-the-matter-is/2011/the-tiki-room-restaurant/

JasonDeyoung

Well you can probably scratch out any sort of pirate theme since Adv Land already has Tortugas. I could see it being some sort of jungle theme of sorts since it would be along the theme of the land, Id assume..

Victor Kelly

le sigh!!

If it is true.... Remember that CMs in the park have as much information as the general public. Our waiter at Liberty Tree said yes the renovations were primarily to the kitchen to support the new restaurant (Veranda) which shares the kitchen with Liberty Tree and Diamond Horseshoe.

It is probable that MK will get a signature restaurant because the other parks and immediate surrounding resorts have them right now. So it would be logical to bring fine dining to MK. I am not sure if they would have a good view of fireworks. By looking at wikimapia, the view would be utterly horrible.

http://wikimapia.org/#lang=en&lat=28.418844&lon=-81.581895&z=19&m=b

Still, all of us have to wait and see. If it is just another walk up location, the food will be regular fair. However, if Disney decides they want to do a QS lunch and a TS dinner ala Be Our Guest, then you can expect long waits and lines and fastpass to dine there for years. IF, read IF they theme is to something in an excellent manner. The question is, what would they theme it to?

Next Big Thing

The plans in the building permit show a pretty large square footage. Of course, included in that space is Aloha Isles, likely some outdoor space, and access points to the kitchen. Is most of the space in the floorplan unusable, if they were to do some reconfiguring?

View attachment 82847
Is it possible that this project takes over Aloha Isle as well? They did just start selling Dole Whips at Sunshine Tree Terrace recently...

Rob562

Is it possible that this project takes over Aloha Isle as well? They did just start selling Dole Whips at Sunshine Tree Terrace recently...

I don't have any info, but it wouldn't surprise me if they took the opportunity to close it down for a bit to refurb it while the rest of the building is being worked on.

-Rob

habuma

Which, BTW, is one of the best secrets in WDW right now. Last month, we walked right past an insanely long line at Aloha Isle and right up to the counter at Sunshine Tree Terrace to get a Dole Whip. I'm sure the secret will slowly get out, though. Don't tell anyone.

Mickey_777

A mid-range restaurant would be the way to go. Something you could (gasp) actually get reservations for a month out or so from your trip. I suppose MK would have to add another 5 mid-ranges for that to happen though. It'll be interesting to see how this plays out. Thematically, Adventureland serves as an awesome spot to be able to sit down and have a decent meal at MK.

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member
Which, BTW, is one of the best secrets in WDW right now. Last month, we walked right past an insanely long line at Aloha Isle and right up to the counter at Sunshine Tree Terrace to get a Dole Whip. I'm sure the secret will slowly get out, though. Don't tell anyone.
Did the same thing December 30. Parks hugely crowded. Line at Aloha Isle huge. Walk-up at STT.

CaptainAmerica

A mid-range restaurant would be the way to go. Something you could (gasp) actually get reservations for a month out or so from your trip.
You want them to make a mediocre restaurant on purpose so that it'll have reservations available? I think this is one of the most blown-out-of-proportion "issues" that people talk about with Walt Disney World. Unless you're going during free dine or you're VERY particular about where you eat, it's really not that hard to get reservations with reasonable advance notice. I just booked my upcoming April trip about two weeks ago (~70 days in advance) and I haven't had any trouble getting my reservations. We have Be Our Guest, Sci-Fi, and Chef Mickey's scheduled (among others; these are the ones we booked that are often considered difficult), and there's plenty of availability even if we wanted to add something like Le Cellier. When I was a passholder in Orlando, we used to go to some of our favorites (Sanaa, Boma, Rose and Crown) with same-day or day-before reservations and it was rarely, if ever, an issue.

Mickey_777

You want them to make a mediocre restaurant on purpose so that it'll have reservations available?

Mid-range as in better food than quick service but below something like Cindy's Royal Table. And I'm specifically talking about MK. Seems you thought I meant a place that serves terrible food so nobody would want to eat there thus plenty of reservation times would be available. We've been to MK 3 times since BoG opened and haven't been able to find reservations yet (3 months out most of the time).

MK is good (IMO) as far as QS but they need more options when it comes to sitting down and being served a decent meal with your family. You don't need as many options as Epcot but if a new restaurant is indeed coming to AL Veranda, that's proof that somebody noticed.

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member
Mid-range as in better food than quick service but below something like Cindy's Royal Table. And I'm specifically talking about MK. Seems you thought I meant a place that serves terrible food so nobody would want to eat there thus plenty of reservation times would be available. We've been to MK 3 times since BoG opened and haven't been able to find reservations yet (3 months out most of the time).

MK is good (IMO) as far as QS but they need more options when it comes to sitting down and being served a decent meal with your family. You don't need as many options as Epcot but if a new restaurant is indeed coming to AL Veranda, that's proof that somebody noticed.
Other than BoG, which is, I think, above mid-range, and Cindy's (which I don't understand, but whatever), tables at MK table service are available, although not widely so. I got LTT the day before just before Xmas, for example.

Don't get me wrong -- I think MK needs another table-service place (actually 2). One of the reasons I think there is availability at Tony's, CP, Plaza, and LTT is simply that there are many people who simply don't want to eat at them. Another good TS, with some interesting theming, would be a big hit, I think. If the rumored Jungle Cruise themed table service really is going in here, it'll be almost as hard to get a table at as Cindy's and BoG.

As for as QS, I think MK needs a lot of help there as well. But that's a different story, unless it turns out we're all wrong and the Veranda is coming back as quick-service.

Mickey_777

We've gone to The Plaza the last 2 or 3 trips and it's good for what it is but I'd like to eat something a notch above that even if it's a little more expensive. It's easy to get a spot at the Plaza. Never been to Tony's as reviews seem to be mostly negative (plus I'm very picky with my Italian food). LTT is, well, I'm not paying that much to eat what's offered there.

bhg469

We've gone to The Plaza the last 2 or 3 trips and it's good for what it is but I'd like to eat something a notch above that even if it's a little more expensive. It's easy to get a spot at the Plaza. Never been to Tony's as reviews seem to be mostly negative (plus I'm very picky with my Italian food). LTT is, well, I'm not paying that much to eat what's offered there.
The key with Tonys is to order one of the daily specials. Whatever steak or chop they have is usually Very good. I have never ordered off their regular menu and never had a bad meal.

Communicore

Yes! That's where the whips need to be sold since the beginning!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom