Adventureland Veranda - Skipper Canteen restaurant

ToTBellHop

I really like the menu but I'm a bit surprised at the kids menu. There isn't a single thing on there that my kids would eat...wish the mac n cheese wasn't so funky. I'm sure some will think it's ridiculous, but my kids (and I presume many kids) like to eat things they are familiar with. Too bad. I was really excited for this restaurant.

Jon81uk

I really like the menu but I'm a bit surprised at the kids menu. There isn't a single thing on there that my kids would eat...wish the mac n cheese wasn't so funky. I'm sure some will think it's ridiculous, but my kids (and I presume many kids) like to eat things they are familiar with. Too bad. I was really excited for this restaurant.

Grilled fish and rice isn't too out there? But I an surprised there is no chicken (other than the soup) on the kids menu. But not every kid is picky, so I think they could keep some dishes, maybe just adding a plain mac'n'cheese would work.

Kman101

You can still be excited ... LOL. The kids will be older eventually and then voila, problem solved.

Biff215

So every kids meal on property looks the same? That's unfortunate. If I was a kid, I'd look forward to seeing what all the menus were like at each place. What kind of little games were on Skipper Canteens menu versus Be Our Guest or Liberty Tree. If they were all unique, you'd think they'd occupy kids interest longer, too. I wonder why they make them all the same.

We saw a couple different ones this past weekend, but they do tend to be fairly generic. It would be nice if they were restaurant specific, but they tend to just be advertisements for the latest show/movie/DVD. Kids still enjoy them though.

Miss Heinous

It could just be the cameras but I hope they turn down the lighting in those smaller rooms it looks way too bright in there. I like it so far but I do think it is a bit more thinly themed than I expected.

Kman101

It looks great. Thanks for all the photos and info @flyerjab

While I'm not sure what I expected I do agree it seems light on the decor and details, but what they did do is very nicely done. It's a very minor nitpick and hopefully I can see it in person someday. It just didn't wow me when I saw the pictures and I guess I assumed it would. LOL.

Props to their adventurous menu. Let's hope they keep with it.

Hopefully the Tomorrowland Terrace gets a makeover next.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
It looks great. Thanks for all the photos and info @flyerjab

While I'm not sure what I expected I do agree it seems light on the decor and details, but what they did do is very nicely done. It's a very minor nitpick and hopefully I can see it in person someday. It just didn't wow me when I saw the pictures and I guess I assumed it would. LOL.

Props to their adventurous menu. Let's hope they keep with it.

Hopefully the Tomorrowland Terrace gets a makeover next.
I think a lot of people might have been looking for something more like Jock Lindsay's Hangar Bar decor?

flyerjab

The win as you said here is in the food options. I just am a little disappointed that for a restaurant based on such a tropic and fun attraction like the jungle cruise the restaurant doesn't really evoke the same response as the ride for me in terms of it's interior despite the furniture. It's missing some magic for me if you will, it's themed to the jungle cruise rather than an extension of it.

The one thing that I can add is that for me, the extension of the ride was the performance of the cast members. They did a great job as they continued the use of corny jokes throughout the entire experience. I also like how they incorporated the background story of the SEA. This is explained to each of the guests.

flyerjab

I think a lot of people might have been looking for something more like Jock Lindsay's Hangar Bar decor?

I will be honest and say I am a bit surprised at some of the responses but that is ok. As I always say, everyone has their own opinion. What I was hoping for were suggestions from the people that find the theming lacking. When it comes to food, you either like it or you don't. Theming is where there is room for debate. For me, I thought it was great.

PREMiERdrum

It looks to me like they wanted the dining rooms to remain the setting, *not* for the rooms to become characters themselves. The dining experience here is in the interaction with the staff, just like the ride experience on the Jungle Cruise is primarily focused on your skipper.

With that said, I think that the main dining room might translate better to the eye than to the camera. The tall ceilings, the balcony, and the clever use of color looks to be the work of very sound environmental, theatrical design. The other rooms are more intricately detailed, but they remain strictly setting, instead of the character-driving design of the Hangar Bar, or even Trader Sam's.

ABQ

If this were replacing some existing, currently operating, establishment, then I may be disappointed, but as it's adding a restaurant, and yes, I'm aware one once was there, but not for a long while, then it's fine with me if the theming is perhaps a little lacking, but having not yet been there, I'll reserve judgement and give it a thumbs up for being an addition.

ToTBellHop

You can still be excited ... LOL. The kids will be older eventually and then voila, problem solved.
Oh, I know. But like Veruca Salt, I want it NOW! I wouldn't be surprised to see plain old mac n cheese added to the menu within 6 months. It'd be easy to do.

I wonder if I could just ask them to make the mac without the meat in it for the boys?

s8film40

I think I really expected it to feel more like the Adventurers Club. I didn't have really high expectations so I wasn't expecting much, but I was expecting more than this based on the way Disney had hyped it up. It seems to be a decent restaurant but it doesn't appear to be on the same level as other recent Disney dining projects like Trader Sam's, BOG or Jock Lindsey.

flyerjab

I am still waiting for pictures of the restrooms. They took the longest to build out and seem to be where most of the budget was spent. If they are plain then a bet was missed indeed.

So...I didn't want to seem like a weirdo if I got caught photographing the loo, so I took a picture of the detail in the sink.

image.jpeg

The bathroom is not plain. This design aspect is present throughout. I can't believe I am discussing bathroom theming. I have officially reached the depths of Disney fanboyism. LOL!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom