Adventureland Veranda - Skipper Canteen restaurant

joup7

I ate there tonight just before closing and I have to say, it is really well done. I ate in the SEA room by request and felt that and the other smaller room were perfect for a nice quiet meal. The food was very good. The servers go out of their way to assist the guests with the various items on the menu. The bathrooms are amazing, and no, I did not take photos of the bathroom, I didn't want to be "that guy". They also ran out of the copper mugs earlier in the day; I think one of the staff said they should be restocked in time for the official opening on Wednesday.

jmmc

I don't know if the look of the place "blows me away", but it looks very nice. And I was surprised with how big and diverse the menu is. It's good to see them adding another real restaurant to MK, expanding out from the burgers-and-chicken fingers quick service world.

I know part of the point of Disney is the theming and atmosphere, but I think some of us diehards may not notice that if you're sort of a "foodie" and a more casual Disney fan, you may find lot of the food options lacking. Don't underestimate the importance of having not only more real sit-down meal restaurants, but also having some unique food at them.

Pumbaa1222

I won't judge the restaurant's current decor having not personally been in it. However, speaking generally and personally, I hope when I do visit it, I'll discover that they've left all the "authenticity," "refinement," and "class" to Epcot and Animal Kingdom. I want Adventureland to be about outrageous, grotesque tiki-kitsch :D

That's a great point I had never considered, letting Magic Kingdom be full of fantasy and over the top, as it would be in your imagination, not in reality. It allows the "themes" to be loose and less cohesive. Most people would argue differently though.

Bocabear

I think I really expected it to feel more like the Adventurers Club. I didn't have really high expectations so I wasn't expecting much, but I was expecting more than this based on the way Disney had hyped it up. It seems to be a decent restaurant but it doesn't appear to be on the same level as other recent Disney dining projects like Trader Sam's, BOG or Jock Lindsey.
But haven't you noticed in the last few years...I don't know what it is, but thematic interiors around Disney have fallen by the wayside...not sure if it is a lack of talent, or lack of vision by the management, but all the interiors trend to boring and bland commercial hotel spaces... The Princess Fairytale Hall looks like a Marriott convention space as does the Beast's Castle for the Enchanted Tales With Belle. They are definitely not going far enough with any of this design, and it is a shame... It should be magical... not "just nice"...
Especially at The Magic Kingdom, theme should be impressive...not just OK...

Bocabear

What I say is an observation based on the information available. It is hardly a temper tantrum...nor have any of the remarks been...Just observations. Nothing has been thrown under a bus...I look forward to trying the new restaurant and feel like it is much needed... and withouth throwing a tantrum or throwing it under the bus, I do wish the design had gone further and been a little more imaginative.

ToTBellHop

How many people throwing a temper tantrum have actually been inside this restaurant yet? Oh right, very few. Its the typical "This isn't what I wanted it to be, so I'm going throw it under the bus" mentality that has polluted this forum lately. Pathetic.
Lately? It's an internet forum largely visited by people who are not actively at WDW. As someone who has been a member of this website since before it even had discussion forums (imagine, we used to get every message that anyone sent as an email!), people have always passed judgment based upon what they see here. Because it's a website meant to inform people before they travel.

KTCpiano

I had lunch there yesterday, and I really enjoyed it. Each of the three rooms offers very different experiences from the noisier mess hall to the quieter adjacent rooms. The smaller rooms are also a little more elegant. I feel a lot of the theming lies in the skippers and how they interact with the surroundings, and the kitsch of the skippers was fun from check-in all the way through the meal. I had great experiences both while waiting and during the meal as the CM's were very interactive. I also thought the food was quite good, and it was nice to see some VERY unique flavors. I'll be curious to see if the menu is tweaked down the road as I'm not sure how this menu will appeal to the masses, but I hope it remains for awhile as it certainly stands out on property.

flyerjab

But haven't you noticed in the last few years...I don't know what it is, but thematic interiors around Disney have fallen by the wayside...not sure if it is a lack of talent, or lack of vision by the management, but all the interiors trend to boring and bland commercial hotel spaces... The Princess Fairytale Hall looks like a Marriott convention space as does the Beast's Castle for the Enchanted Tales With Belle. They are definitely not going far enough with any of this design, and it is a shame... It should be magical... not "just nice"...

I actually find it interesting that you say that because looking back over the past few years since the completion of NFL, I would have to say that as a collective, the one thing that forum members did not find unsatisfactory was the theming. I always remember the argument being that the theming of NFL, both inside and outside the attractions - particularly with the queues - was that the buildup was great until you got onto the rides. That was where I felt that a lot of posters were let down. That if only, for example, the Under the Sea Journey of the Little Mermaid ride had lived up to the queue. Also, I feel that there were many posters that felt that the reason that BOG was such a hit was because the theming was so outstanding it stood out against the rides/attractions which were charming but not overwhelming like a PotC or HM was for their time.

But that is fine though. Your opinion is your belief and I absolutely respect it. I hope that Disney is able to do something again that that you find magical.

RandySavage

I've noticed this trend has been hit and miss. Some interior design has been best-in-class (e.g., Mermaid queue, SDMT queue, new BTM queue), while other has been below par (e.g., Sunglass Hut, MK Starbucks, Belle's Library). It's curious that there has been such a disparity in interior design quality/attention to detail in the same park over the same period.

From pics, this place is certainly a positive change for the park. I'm encouraged by the post quoting an Imagineer about more coming to the Skipper's Canteen: the bulletin board is an analogy for the overall space - can easily (and may be) filled to overflowing with notes, billets, posters, etc., but is mostly empty.
jungle-skipper-canteen-crew-mess-hall-bulleting-board-484x600.jpg

Last edited:

s8film40

How many people throwing a temper tantrum have actually been inside this restaurant yet? Oh right, very few. Its the typical "This isn't what I wanted it to be, so I'm going throw it under the bus" mentality that has polluted this forum lately. Pathetic.
I will reserve my final judgement until I actually see it. That being said I have been in there before it was this new restaurant and so I have that as a reference point. Looking at the photos I don't see that much of a change. That's not a bad thing as every time I was in there before I always thought it was really great and would like to eat in there. I think the thing most people are noticing is this on the surface doesn't seem to match what Disney seemed to be implying this was going for. I got the impression that this was a kind of mix of a Jungle Cruise and Adventurers Club theme. I don't think that impression is inaccurate The Jungle Cruise elements are there as well as the Adventurers Club. I don't want to say it just needs more junk on the walls as I don't think that's always the best way to theme something just the easiest usually. It seems to be missing something though and it seems like they put a lot less effort into this compared to other recent projects. That doesn't mean this isn't a great restaurant I think it just missed the mark a little bit.

MrHappy

I'm going in early May, i've been tracking the progress of Skipper's on this forum for months like all of you and will be beyond thrilled to get an ADR. Sometimes are imaginations get the best of us...guess that's why we all love Disney in the first place - for the suspended reality that each smell, site and sound 'the World brings us. I had no expectation on Skippers other than 'it's Disney and it's going to be great.' Sure Mermaid is a moving diorama yet it's still meticulously executed and enjoyed by all/most. Perhaps not up to the imagination that has grown in some of our minds but a place for our 'minds' to go for a few minutes. Skippers will be what you want it to be...to me I'm looking forward to a zany extension of the Jungle Cruise ride with some unique food and (from the reviews and photos) perfectly executed details throughout the space.

[this is my first post, be gentle]

Bocabear

I actually find it interesting that you say that because looking back over the past few years since the completion of NFL, I would have to say that as a collective, the one thing that forum members did not find unsatisfactory was the theming. I always remember the argument being that the theming of NFL, both inside and outside the attractions - particularly with the queues - was that the buildup was great until you got onto the rides. That was where I felt that a lot of posters were let down. That if only, for example, the Under the Sea Journey of the Little Mermaid ride had lived up to the queue. Also, I feel that there were many posters that felt that the reason that BOG was such a hit was because the theming was so outstanding it stood out against the rides/attractions which were charming but not overwhelming like a PotC or HM was for their time.

But that is fine though. Your opinion is your belief and I absolutely respect it. I hope that Disney is able to do something again that that you find magical.
I was referring the Beast's Castle in Enchanted Tales With Belle or whatever it is called now, and the Princess Fairytale Hall. The BOG Restaurant is an example of something that was done well... And I agree that the Queue for Little Mermaid far outshines the actual ride... Maybe I should have said Hit or miss regarding the theming lately. And I LOVE that they actually remodeleda closed venue and reopened it... It was much needed. Just wish that they had taken the design farther...Made it a bit more magical...Again, I am not "throwing It Under The Bus" but discussing what We are seeing.

RandySavage

^My expectations were for things like animal heads on the walls that occasionally growl or flick an ear, secret book-case doors that open to bathrooms by pulling a certain book(like NYC's Jekyll & Hyde), tribal masks that occasionally talk (link to Tiki room), old artifacts (globes/astrolabes) you can touch and use, 1920s radio playing... that sort of thing.

Magenta Panther

^My expectations were for things like animal heads on the walls that occasionally growl or flick an ear, secret book-case doors that open to bathrooms by pulling a certain book(like NYC's Jekyll & Hyde), tribal masks that occasionally talk (link to Tiki room), old artifacts (globes/astrolabes) you can touch and use, 1920s radio playing... that sort of thing.

What's sad is that this Skipper Canteen restaurant was the ONLY announcement that came out of D23 that interested me. And it's based on a ride I've always thought needed to be torn out because of its dated cheesiness. *sigh*

JustInTime

This. Exactly.

JoeCamel

This IS what I have noticed and fully explains my interest in the theming of the restroom. If they had not carried it through there then I would have been disappointed with the result, as it is from the pictures I have seen it is fine and I look forward to seeing it for myself.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom