Accident on Pirates

EpcoTim

"He was around 57 years old. What the medic told me is was he was saying, 'I had my hand on the side of the boat and I shouldn't have. It was all my fault.'" - Bo Jones, Reedy Creek Fire Department

Sky News

Well, we officially know now that he's not an American. Seeing as he took responsibility for his actions and all that, not priming the pump for a lawsuit, etc...

Last edited:

WDWDad13

I have always been worried about the boats on the Mexico ride as well when it comes into the loading and unloading area where the sides squeeze in next to the walking path. It would be so easy for anyone to put their hand out there and touch the side or be on side of the boat when it shouldn't especially when they get backed up. Now there may be enough clearance there for a hand or arm but it sure doesn't look like it

Pixie VaVoom

That makes more sense then "hands in the air on the drop".

No, actually that makes no sense either..."hand on the side of the boat" ?!? What... are outside edges of the "Pirates" boats all edged with razorblades??? And if you had your hands actually ON THE SIDES OF THE BOAT...then the fingertips would be pressed against something...like the side of a boat... they tips would not be exposed to have the opportunity to be sliced off.
Sound more like he was doing something he hadn't ought to and is trying to save face now.
If the hands were not kept where the safety ads, and CM admonished...then Disney should get off scot-free.

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member
No, actually that makes no sense either..."hand on the side of the boat" ?!? What... are outside edges of the "Pirates" boats all edged with razorblades??? And if you had your hands actually ON THE SIDES OF THE BOAT...then the fingertips would be pressed against something...like the side of a boat... they tips would not be exposed to have the opportunity to be sliced off.
Sound more like he was doing something he hadn't ought to and is trying to save face now.
If the hands were not kept where the safety ads, and CM admonished...then Disney should get off scot-free.

I was guessing this means -- 1. hand on side of boat just under water level -- 2. boat goes through narrow part of channel -- 3. hand now caught between boat and [rail, wall, prop, underwater light, etc]. In other words, I agree with you that the guest was doing something he shouldn't have and that Disney likely shouldn't be held responsible. "Hands in the air" didn't make sense to me because it'd be really hard to hit something hard enough to lose parts of fingers even if you were doing that.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom