Abandoned Pop Century Buildings

Glasgow

I'm pretty sure that even concrete starts to break down and lose some of it's durability when not protected correctly from the elements .. hence, they'll probably need to level it and start over, regardless of the mold issue. I'm a bit curious why they have not razed that site yet since doing so is a fairly insignificant cost compared to the total rebuild cost.

Surely someone out there has some official information .. :)

Cannon3

Google Earth shows what appears to be an unfinished golf course located just east of the Pop Century. Does anybody know anything about that?

imamouse

I wish Legendary Years would be completed. My husband is a fan of the 'good ol' days' and was looking forward to staying in the 1900 section.

I'm surprised that a company that prides it's self so highly on 'show' has let these eyesores sit in plain view for so long.

the-reason14

I hope they do something with em. I like staying at pop half century, it is without a doubt my fav. disney resort. But I wish that one day I could stop calling it what it is, pop half century and start calling it what the disney folk call it.

jmvd20

I'm pretty sure that even concrete starts to break down and lose some of it's durability when not protected correctly from the elements .. hence, they'll probably need to level it and start over, regardless of the mold issue. I'm a bit curious why they have not razed that site yet since doing so is a fairly insignificant cost compared to the total rebuild cost.

Surely someone out there has some official information .. :)

Concrete may deteriorate over time when exposed to the elements but it is a very slow deterioration. The major enemy of concrete that can destroy it quickly is the freeze thaw cycles of water, however that is not present at WDW.

The talk about mold is not correct either, the buildings may be covered in mold but they can be cleaned and treated easily. The cleaning process would also be cheaper than razing them and starting over. In a project like this all that would be required is minimal containment, cleaning, and a treatment with a product such as Micro-Ban or another anti-microbial agent.

If they wanted to finish the buildings that they have already started on it could be done much cheaper than razing them and starting over. Some things may need to be changed out and replaced, but the structures should not be effected from sitting there for this amount of time.

One of the only things I can think of right now that *could* cause the buildings to become structurally damaged would be the fact that no gutters or drainage systems are in place to prevent erosion around the foundations.

Jim B

does anyone have any pictures of these "buildings"
This is a photo we took in 2005. I'm pretty sure not much has changed since then except for ALOT more vegetation.

DCP01355.jpg

I remember dozens of threads from various forums over the years about the buildings. A bunch of opinions and rumors were posted, but after years have passed very few have turned out to have been valid.

**UPDATE** Well, the latest rumor is that work is currently (August 2008) slated to start work to finish the buildings as family suites. We'll be there in September so we can check progress and validity of this rumor.

Courtman

When last in Florida in June we overflew the Pop Century resort in a Cessna 172. My memory may be playing tricks on me, but I seem to remember some (all?) of the derelict buildings had been knocked down and all that was visible from the air was the plan form of the buildings flat on the ground.

I could of course be completely wrong, and hallucinating early on a Saturday morning. We don't have any pictures from over there this time, does anyone have any recent pictures?

masonp

We were there last Nov '07. The buildings were still standing and when asked CM who worked there, they said work could possibly starting as soon as spring 09.

Goofnut1980

We were there last Nov '07. The buildings were still standing and when asked CM who worked there, they said work could possibly starting as soon as spring 09.

I hope they do something.. You know as well as I do that they have the money to do it.. and would greatly increase their attendance in this time when we are paying through the nose for gas for our cars... I bet its harder to get into a value resort than it is the deluxe resorts... I know people will always have money to spend on Disney... But we are always watching a way to get a little further with our money.. shoot.. its only a hotel room and we are only their to sleep.. we are in the parks the rest of the time we are there... :shrug:

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
When last in Florida in June we overflew the Pop Century resort in a Cessna 172. My memory may be playing tricks on me, but I seem to remember some (all?) of the derelict buildings had been knocked down and all that was visible from the air was the plan form of the buildings flat on the ground.

I could of course be completely wrong, and hallucinating early on a Saturday morning. We don't have any pictures from over there this time, does anyone have any recent pictures?
Not quite - those that were built are still standing, those that wern`t have their foundation pads built - this is what you saw. GoogleEarth shows it well.

DougK

Don't be stupid it will obviously be:
High School Musical 42:Midlife Crisis
High School Musical 43:IRS Refund

and of course the classic

Cars 12: In this exciting new installment to the multi-trillion grossing Cars series, Lightning McQueen must face the race of his life against the evil Anti-Queen, but with the might of Buy and Large behind him the Anti-Queen is not to be trifled with. This timeless original classic from Disney-Pixar is an original fresh look at NASCAR and the corporations behind it which no collection is complete without. :animwink:

Funny stuff, except by then it will be Pixar-Disney. :)

Gooch

Ah yes...Disney's Dead End Resort

No matter how many times I visit Pop Century (I've stayed there about 5 or 6 times at this point) I can't help but walk to the point closest to the "Legendary Years" and just stare. Nor do I get tired of reading about it or discussing it with whoever it is I'm staying at the resort with (my poor girlfriend has heard the story way too many times! Haha)

Anyhow, I was just there over the weekend and stayed on the 3rd floor of building 3 in the 50's and had aclear view of the entire building accross the lake. It's a shame, really. I was looking at it one night and thought "How great would it have been to see all those numbers (the decades) lit up, as well as people going about their days/nights, etc."

It's just sad, and very un-Disney-like to have a huge slab of concrete just sitting there, rotting away. People obviously notice it, and though many might not think much of it after seeing it at first, most of us know why it's there and wish the folks at Disney would bring it to life.

RiversideBunny

WDW's next step maybe is to rename Pop Century to 'Pop Culture' or something like that. No longer a century but keep the cultural icons and the 'PC' that appears on maps and other items.
Then demolish the deteriorating buildings that were never finished.

These days, Disney wants to invest its money in the higher level resorts, particularly Disney Vacation Club and Deluxe ones, where the monetary income on the construction and operating expenditures is greater.

IMHO
:)

Goofnut1980

Well with DVC's they know they have a certain income coming in to the parks every single year... Why wouldn't they build more steady income places than just resorts that if the economy does bad they do not have any guests coming to the parks.. so they lose out... I agree they need to do something with the resorts.. we are thinking of planning a few day trip down to WDW in September just for giggles and the value resorts are booked up... I know free dinning is going on.. but dang nabbit.. not even 1 room free.. Maybe we all should pool our money and rebuild the Legendary Years... heck while we are at it... lets add a monorail to and from each park to our hotel.. :ROFLOL:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom