A year after 9/11

TURKEY

Originally posted by Figaro
Just a little note, a few days after the attack, Disney did have a moment of silence in the parks. They had an announcement over the PA system and everyone stopped what they were doing. (We were in EPCOT that day) So it has been, and can be, done. Should it be done on the anniversary is a whole other thing.

Everything didn't come to a complete stop. The people that were out walking around could have.

As Rob explained, it is impossible to stop all rides and shows. It would be extremely, extremely difficult to cordinate every show/ride to have a moment that everyone was off a ride and that all shows were empty.

cymbaldiva

Originally posted by Dizknee_Phreek
cymbaldiva, it's ok you didn't make your one statement too clear! Lord knows i've done that my fair share of times! but i wanted to post my opinion anyway, and so i kinda used your message as a soap box to help me :animwink:

Thank you! :) You're helping me feel a little less misunderstood! Andd "you're welcome!" for the help to jump on that box! :lol:

cymbaldiva

Originally posted by GenerationX
Another way a moment of silence could be done at each park would be before Fantasy in the Sky, Illuminations, and Fantasmic! start, have a voiceover ask for a moment of silence of those within earshot of the announcement. Rides could continue to run, possibly with a few empty cars to allow those waiting in line to pause also. Not sure what they could do at AK.

That is a really good idea! I hope someone with some power read it!

STGRhost

Everything didn't come to a complete stop. The people that were out walking around could have.

As Rob explained, it is impossible to stop all rides and shows. It would be extremely, extremely difficult to cordinate every show/ride to have a moment that everyone was off a ride and that all shows were empty.

Well, I don't know where you and Rob work (and no offense to either of you) but here at the Studios, the managers coordinated that Friday so that all of the rides were cycled out before the moment of silence. They closed the queues about 15 min. before (Very low attendance anyway, between attacks and the hurricane) and just let everyone ride through. The rides weren't shut down, but no one was riding. They also had CMs at gift stores stop ringing, and everyone was asked to go outside. (I had assumed that the same was true at the other parks) They made an announcment, and then the moment of silence, and then they played God Bless America (which suprised me a little). Then everything went back to "normal". So it is absolutely possible for them to have a moment where the attractions are empty. Whether they will or not is another story (and whether it's even appropriate is being heavily debated already).

Change of subject, but Kaos wrote
The towers are still there, just as they are still present in Timekeeper, and should remain there forever (at least seasonally)
which made me laugh out loud, which besides being inappropriate considering the topic, is also exremely embarassing at work...

MKCustodial

Originally posted by STGRhost
Change of subject, but Kaos wrote which made me laugh out loud, which besides being inappropriate considering the topic, is also exremely embarassing at work...

Could you explain? I didn't understand... :confused:

STGRhost

I thought the part about remaining "at least seasonally", which I took as a reference to TimeKeeper, was funny... So I laughed out loud at the computer I was at, in front of co-workers...

MKCustodial

Originally posted by STGRhost
I thought the part about remaining "at least seasonally", which I took as a reference to TimeKeeper, was funny... So I laughed out loud at the computer I was at, in front of co-workers...

Riiiiiiight... Dumb me... I got it! :lol:

RobFL

Account Suspended
We have attractions that last well over 15 minutes and lines which are far longer - in order to rpevent several hours of downtime, the attractions would need to be still running, as you said.. but cycling them out would leave some shows and attractions with 1 hour waits before/after/during the moment of silence - because the show windows might not match up.

-Rob

RobFL

Account Suspended
The only "long" studios attraction is the backlot tour, and the vehicles on it seem capable of merely stopping for a moment.

-Rob

cymbaldiva

I think that Disney of all places can really pull off anything they decide they want to do, so hopefully a moment of silence will be something decide to pull off...Just my opinion!

MKCustodial

I can see how big this issue is for you, guys, but don't you think that WDW has Guests from FAR too many nations to attempt to do something like that? I mean, I was saddened by the whole thing, and I think the world has changed drastically after 9/11, but WDW has Guests from the Middle East, for example, and some of them may be against a moment of silence. Or there may even be some religions that are agains it... :confused: I don't know... Well, all I'm saying is this subject is even more touchy than we may think.

wannabeBelle

the moment of silence would certainly not be mandatory. If people decided to continue on with their day, that is up to the individual. As far as people being here from the Middle East, I have never made any attempt to impede on the personal freedoms guaranteed in the Constitution of the United States for any person from another country . If they are offended by a theme park in the United States requesting a moment of silence to show respect for all the people here in NYC and elsewhere who died in a terrible tragedy, they are free to excersize another personal freedom guaranteed in this country. They are free to leave!!! Disneyworld has always been a very patriotic place, with many attractions that celebrate America and our way of life. I say good for Disney for showing their patriotic colors to the world!!!

MajinBuu

Haven't read this whole thread so i dont know if its already been posted...

Does anyone else seem to notice the twin towers in movies more often now that 9/11 happened?

I saw armageddon and the scene where NYC is getting hit, the twin towers had a meteor hit it and it SO looked like 9/11 all over again... and one tower had a HUGE chunk out of it and it was standing like nothing happened... guess the producers know better now... :(

Erika

I doubt any Mid Easterners would object. They lost people there, too. There were not just Americans in those towers. Many countries had people there.

Disneyanna0521

Account Suspended
i am not sure what i would do or what micheal should do...in a way i would not change anything...w/ all this pain the world shouldn't we be able to get a way from it? and by living our lives normally we are defeating terriosm/

cymbaldiva

Originally posted by turkey leg boy
Disney World spokeswoman Rena Callahan wouldn't speculate on Sept. 11 attendance but said the park would fly flags at half staff on that day and commemorate the attacks with a moment of silence.

I think that's an appropriate response

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom