A year after 9/11

Goofette

Our children are very aware of what happened. They may not know as we do, but they are aware. My 8 yo was watching "A Troll In Central Park" and there was a scene that zoomed pass the twin towers and she screamed out "There's the Towers". One thing I think of is what if some parents are trying to get their children AWAY from the tragedy (if they're lives have been personally affected by the tragedy) and they take them to WDW so they don't have to think about what was lost. The adults are going to know EXACTLY what day it is, they don't have to be reminded, so for the kids sake, would it be best to have special ceremonies or treat it like any other day? I don't have the answer to that but I know my daughter lives with the "Real" world every single day and I say if she can get a vacation away from it, I would give it to her.

It's almost 2:30 AM so I hope that made sense.

Dizknee_Phreek

absolutely, Goofette! and i agree! everybody needs a break from the real world, even on Sept 11! and like you said, i don't think any teen, young adult, or adult will forget that day for as long as they are of sound mind. kids, i dunno about unless it directly affected them in some way or another. some kids will definately remember, some kids won't (for example, i was in 4th grade when OK City bombing took place...i still remember what happened, and i still remember that day like it was yesterday. i'm sure there's some kids that don't remember it all that well)
but anyway, like you said, we all need an escape from the 'real' world, and Disney seems like the only place to go...would i take that if offered to me? hell yeah, every chance i could get! as you said, we live in the 'real' world every day and it can really get a person down, especailly during these times of war (which is why i NEVER watch the news when they mention the war...i'd just rather not know) Goofette, i don't blame you one bit for wanting to get your daughter out of the 'real' world for a bit! she has the rest of her life to live in this corrupt world...let her be a kid and have fun while she's still a kid ya know?
i still think there should be a moment of silence...but as others have said, honoring those who gave their innocent lives, and dwelling on it are two completely different things! i think an honorable moment of silence is all that's needed. i'm not sure how they'd go about it after getting rides going and such, but i'm sure it could be done!
but yes, Goofette, despite the late hour (or early hour, i should say), you made perfect sense! i'm just hoping i am! :)

Goofette

I'm Confused????

I had a notification that iluvepcot (sp) had posted something, but when I click on it, I don't see anything that they've posted. Is my computer messing up?

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
From the perspective of a 'foreigner' the trouble with remembrance events including a minutes silence is it sort of orders regret contemplation and navel gazing. The emotions of those that have been directly affected are real and not manufactured because of some artificialy created scenario. I have no right to invade on their grief or feelings because I happened to watch something on tv. As has been said numerous times the place for tributes are the places directly affected and those who were involved and touched by the events.

disknee_Freek, while im delighted that you have discoverd a love for your country im somewhat concerned that it took a movie that depicted a masacare by the Nazis in France during WW11 as an event of the war of independance to do it.

Im very proud to be Scottish and would never question anyones right to be proud in their country or of their roots but theres a fine line between patriotism and jingoism.
I think these lines from a Rush song best sum it up,
Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world,
Than the pride that divides when a colourful rag is unfurlled.

Oh and for the record ive served all of my working life in the military, and have been unfortunate enough to witness the effects of patriotism on innocents.

WDWFREAK53

Originally posted by Erika

Well, for my generation (I'm 25), this was really our first experience with an event powerful enough to make us take a step back and realize what an honor it is to live in a country as great as the United States. We saw it a little bit during the Gulf War but that was far away, and we weren't old enough to do much about it anyway. Until Sept 11th, many of us were fortunate (and spoiled) enough never to have to think about our circumstances, or what we would do if they were to change.

I think September 11th and the months following have polarized the world community in a way that no event has for a very long time. Many countries have shown us sympathy, respect, and friendship. Others have shown us distain. While most of us realize that the US is far from perfect, overall my generation is a stubborn, defiant bunch. So with every bit of criticism we hear, we wave our flags a little more.

I agree totally...we WERE spoiled...and it IS A SHAME that it took something soooo devastating to open up our eyes. I have always loved my country and I always will...I admit that I took it for granted and I didn't have a flag flying all the time...but I did always feel special when the national anthem was being sung and watching that flag blow in the breeze...From my first baseball game to this day...I still get tingles when I see that flag blowing with the Star Spangled Banner playing. But...I agree with Erika...it is sad to see something this devastating is what is needed to open up our eyes. I now have been PERSONALLY affected and I will fly that star spangled banner with pride from now on.

Erika

Originally posted by happy snapper
a love for your country im somewhat concerned that it took a movie that depicted a masacare by the Nazis in France during WW11 as an event of the war of independance to do it.

Snapper,

The Patriot is a Mel Giibson movie about the American Revolutionary War about 170 years before WWII. A lot of people had not realized how heavily the odds were stacked against the Patriots (Americans) until they saw this movie. In many ways, it's a miracle they EVER won their independance.

CmdrTostada

Talking about patriotic. Did anyone else here about the guy who lived in San Francisco? He went down to China Town and started putting up American Flags. The head of the waste magement fined the guy $5,000 for littering!!! What a bunch of crap.

Michael72688

Although September 11th was a terrible day in our nations history, I dont think it should be harpted on at the theme parks. I think the most they should do is a moment of silence, buy nothing else. Attendance may be down that day just because people was either be to afraid or do upset to travel. Many airlines are cutting most of their flights that day, so many people wont be able to leave or arrive hear (sound familiar?)

Wilt Dasney

Originally posted by Erika

Snapper,

The Patriot is a Mel Giibson movie about the American Revolutionary War about 170 years before WWII. A lot of people had not realized how heavily the odds were stacked against the Patriots (Americans) until they saw this movie. In many ways, it's a miracle they EVER won their independance.

He knows; I think the implication was that the movie was rewriting history by transplanting events from the Second World War and dropping them in the middle of colonial times for dramatic purposes.

As for the issue at hand: I'm OK with a moment of silence; I also think there would be other ways to acknowledge the day without ruining the "feel" of the place. I think if they wanted to erect an unobtrusive memorial in an appropriate location (like somewhere in Epcot), that would be fine. They could also fly the flags at half-staff (or is that only done in the immediate aftermath of tragedies?) or give Cast Members the option to wear black armbands for that one day. I think there are ways to do it without "forcing" people to remember or "manufacturing" emotion.

Wilt Dasney

And, Snapper, I agree with the song lyrics you posted, but the events of 9-11 weren't just "American"; they were human. My heart is touched by the events in Africa and the Middle East as well as New York. You don't have to be a citizen of a particular country to be moved and angered by senseless slaughter.

Erika

Originally posted by Wilt Dasney

He knows; I think the implication was that the movie was rewriting history by transplanting events from the Second World War and dropping them in the middle of colonial times for dramatic purposes.

Aha! Thanks for explaining. I had literally just rolled out of bed when I read (and answered) that so I did not pick up on what he was saying :lol:

Pumbas Nakasak

Originally posted by Wilt Dasney
And, Snapper, I agree with the song lyrics you posted, but the events of 9-11 weren't just "American"; they were human. My heart is touched by the events in Africa and the Middle East as well as New York. You don't have to be a citizen of a particular country to be moved and angered by senseless slaughter.

That was the point I was trying to make. Theres a lot of things being done in the name of causes, religion and national interest. But in the end suffering is suffering no matter the colours on the flags on the coffins. And in no way did I infer that it was an 'American' problem in fact the exact opposite. And the original post was about tributes and it would seem most people (including myself)agree that it should be marked, but in a low key way in Disney World, whatever shape that may take.
The comment on emotions was purely from my personal perspective,whilst I watched the horror unfold and was moved by the bravery of those on the ground, I cannot possibly have the same sense of loss and emotion as those directly affected by Sep 11 in the same way as I cant feel the pain of those who survived the Holocaust, I know the historical accounts and saw the pictures but Im always going to be distanced, thankfully.

As for the Patriot movie yes I was refering to Hollywoods re writing of history, It would seem that you should never let facts get in the way of good box office.

RobFL

Account Suspended
How would one go about a moment of silence at WDW?

We can't exactly stop all the rides.. unless people wouldn't mind not being able to ride them for a few hours while we start them all back up.

Yeah.. right..

-Rob

Pumbas Nakasak

At park opening perhaps, or just a simple Flags at half mast.
Or are you saying that everyones emotionaly touched untill it comes time to wait an extra 60 secs for a ride?

RobFL

Account Suspended
Umm, yes, i am :)

Not 60 seconds.. You can't delay most ride for jsut 60 seconds. There's no such thing as a "pause" button for some of the rides. It's down for an hour or it's up and running. No inbetween.

-Rob

RobFL

Account Suspended
Maybe the Times Guides.

But, on the park maps, it would be hard to guess the exact guest count, and people would end up selling them on Ebay and that would be a debacle in and of itself.

-Rob

Goofette

I'm sure Disney will have some (subtle) reminders at the parks. It is going to be a very sad day for many many people. Even if there is not a huge tribute at disney, we will ALL remember. We will Always remember

Figaro

Just a little note, a few days after the attack, Disney did have a moment of silence in the parks. They had an announcement over the PA system and everyone stopped what they were doing. (We were in EPCOT that day) So it has been, and can be, done. Should it be done on the anniversary is a whole other thing.

GenerationX

Another way a moment of silence could be done at each park would be before Fantasy in the Sky, Illuminations, and Fantasmic! start, have a voiceover ask for a moment of silence of those within earshot of the announcement. Rides could continue to run, possibly with a few empty cars to allow those waiting in line to pause also. Not sure what they could do at AK.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom