A year after 9/11

CmdrTostada

Starbucks had to recall this ad. I dont think it looks anything like the WTC, some people are just too sensitive.

Attachments

• towerdrinks.jpg
    towerdrinks.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 171

meanmice

I agree with the statement made above by Captain Hook. I think that the country should have a moment of silence and that yes, WDW should participate, but that we should not dwell on the bad. Yes it was a sad day in history and years from now our childrens children will ask where we were on that faitfull day, but we should remind ourselves that it was also a day where we united as a country. I think that the parks should have a short remembrence, but then go on with the day, just as our country has.

As for the removel of the WTC image in movies and other such things, I think it is more disgraceful than honorable. We are removing our last memories of these images and not dealing with the emotions that they incite. In fact, for me, the image has become something meaning pride and honor because we became a country who remembered that we were founded on freedom and we began another struggle for our freedom. We all waited and watched as our brave men and women risked and gave their lives for others and we should honor that, not remove it.

TinkerBell9988

(Read my sad story)

WDW during and after September 11th was very gloomy and dead.

We were at WDW September 14-16 celebrating my birthday, which was very hard to do after what had happened a few days before. It was very strange to be in the happiest place on earth after September 11th, the saddest day ever in American History.

So anyway, we drove up to WDW on the 14th(which was a Friday) and we checked in at around 5:30-6-ish. We then decided to eat at the Magic Kingdom, since we were starving and were in the mood for some Italian food, we just didn't feel like staying in the hotel room all night watching MSNBC.

When we arrived at the MK, everything looked so... dead. It was raining all day, so the weather fit the mood. There were red white and blue banners all around Main Street and there were 30 people walking around. No one in the Emporium, no one in Tony's.

After dinner, the Spectro Magic parade was about to begin, so my dad signed the bill and we went out by the flag post at the hub of Main Street.

There was NO ONE watching SpectroMagic. I felt like the park was all to myself, but it wasn't a good feeling.

So that was Disney World after September 11th.

CmdrTostada

I was there at the the exact same time as you Tink, but a bit longer. But I never really dwell on tragedies, so I felt like I regularly do at Disney, but a bit more solemn, and I liked having the park to ourselves.

Dizknee_Phreek

Originally posted by Fido
He said that he felt like he was under pressure to change the title because of all that happened with 9/11. But he did say there was no way he could get away with it because the Tolkien fans would kill him!

yeah, i can understand how he'd feel that way. i probably would have too. but like him, i would know that there's no way i could ever change something that drastic and get away with it! :lol: and i thought that the Tolkien fans would probably kill him for it if he did, but i just didn't want to say it and sound too dramatic! i'm glad it was him who said it and not me! but he's probably right! :D

cymbaldiva

There should be something to remember 9/11...it did happen, it was terrible - it is a tragedy that none of us should ever forget.

Dizknee_Phreek

Originally posted by cymbaldiva
There should be something to remember 9/11...it did happen, it was terrible - it is a tragedy that none of us should ever forget.

and i don't think anyone with a sound mind and a sensitive heart will...but personally i don't think we need WDW to help us remember. yes, i think Disney should take part in a moment of silence, and maybe even play the national anthem over park speakers (maybe) but as for doing something for a whole day, i don't think they need that. as others have said, Disney is a place for escape from the real world....i think the bag checks at the front gates are all the reminders at Disney that i need. but that's just my opinion.

cymbaldiva

Originally posted by Dizknee_Phreek

and i don't think anyone with a sound mind and a sensitive heart will...but personally i don't think we need WDW to help us remember. yes, i think Disney should take part in a moment of silence, and maybe even play the national anthem over park speakers (maybe) but as for doing something for a whole day, i don't think they need that. as others have said, Disney is a place for escape from the real world....i think the bag checks at the front gates are all the reminders at Disney that i need. but that's just my opinion.

Great Minds....

Actually, that is what I meant - I'm sorry I wasn't more clear. It should be exactly as you said. We do so need to remember, but if we stop everything over the tragedy, then the terrorists have won

Figaro

Alot of people, including my wife and I, lost family and friends on 9/11. Im my opinion Disney shouldnt do anything to commemerate this day. It didnt happen @ WDW it happened in NYC, PA and the Pentagon. They only reason it affected disney is because they closed the parks because like all areas that attract alot of people, amusement parks, malls etc, they were probably worried about something happenning there.

I agree with you 100%! When the first Tower was hit, we were actually in the air, flying from NY to Orlando. As soon as we got off the plane, we saw on CNN what was going on. All we wanted to do was go "home" to NY.

Quite honestly, I was annoyed that Disney decided to bring out all the patriotic stuff to sell almost immediately. Basically, they were capitalizing on a tragedy.

I think if people want to memorialize Sept 11, the place to do it is NOT at an amusement park.

Wilt Dasney

I found that Starbuck's ad a litle creepy, to be honest...

Not just because of the two drinks, but the dragonfly in the background was eerily reminiscent of an airplane and the word "collapse" was in the banner.

If those were all coincidences, they're awfully strange ones.

DanStat

This is a very hard subject to approach.

Remembering is different from dwelling. Maybe a flag raising ceremony would be better than a whole day devoted to dwelling on the attacks. We need to remember that it happened, but not dwell on it.

cymbaldiva

Most of the country started selling patriotic things immediately after the tragedy, not just Disney...horrible reason for everyone to finally love their country, but unfortunately that's the way it is.

I thing it would be calous (sp?) of Disney - or anywhere else - to not at least observe a moment of silence...it did happen, and we should never forget - even if we're enjoying an amusement park.

Just my 2 cents...hope I have p***** anyone off! :)

cuteypatooty78

Originally posted by Wilt Dasney
I found that Starbuck's ad a litle creepy, to be honest...

Not just because of the two drinks, but the dragonfly in the background was eerily reminiscent of an airplane and the word "collapse" was in the banner.

If those were all coincidences, they're awfully strange ones.

I agree, that Starbucks ad really is creepy....as soon as I saw the dragonfly it immediatly made me think of an airplane and the position of the drinks looked eerily similar to the towers. :(

cymbaldiva

Originally posted by disneyprep50321
This is a very hard subject to approach.

Remembering is different from dwelling. Maybe a flag raising ceremony would be better than a whole day devoted to dwelling on the attacks. We need to remember that it happened, but not dwell on it.

That is exactly what I meant...

DanStat

As I heard someone else say, it's a shame that it took an attack like that to get us to fly a flag that should have always been flown in the first place.

Erika

Originally posted by cymbaldiva
horrible reason for everyone to finally love their country, but unfortunately that's the way it is.

Well, for my generation (I'm 25), this was really our first experience with an event powerful enough to make us take a step back and realize what an honor it is to live in a country as great as the United States. We saw it a little bit during the Gulf War but that was far away, and we weren't old enough to do much about it anyway. Until Sept 11th, many of us were fortunate (and spoiled) enough never to have to think about our circumstances, or what we would do if they were to change.

I think September 11th and the months following have polarized the world community in a way that no event has for a very long time. Many countries have shown us sympathy, respect, and friendship. Others have shown us distain. While most of us realize that the US is far from perfect, overall my generation is a stubborn, defiant bunch. So with every bit of criticism we hear, we wave our flags a little more.

CmdrTostada

Ive always been patriotic, my dad was in the Gulf War. I am patriotic because my dad was in the navy plus because of my political views I am very patriotic.

cymbaldiva

I'm not much older and I'd never really thought about it either...even though my father and brother both are in the military. I'm ashamed of myself for not being more appreciative for the country in which we live...:(

So shouldn't there be a moment of silence or something everywhere in the US...including WDW?

Erika

Moment of silence, yes. Commemorative ceremonies, no.

That's my gut feeling, but honestly, I feel like I don't have much to say about it. I was one of the lucky ones who was not affected on a personal level by 9/11. My family is safe. My friends are unharmed. My city is intact. So maybe I would feel differently otherwise.

Dizknee_Phreek

i too agree...the Starbucks ad was really creepy...i mean, if everyone else saw it, you'd think the graphic designers and advertising people at Starbucks would've seen it too before printing them and shipping them out! who the heck knows what they had in mind....but it was ALL way too eerily similar! not to mention tasteless, if you ask me!

i was very patriotic before Sept 11. no one in my family that i'm really close to has been in a war (that i know of...my dad barely skipped the draft for Viet Nam(sp?)) but what made me patriotic, believe it or not, was when i went to the theaters July 4th, 2000 and watched The Patriot. for some reason it just captured me and really made me understand what it took to become a free country and the odds that we Americans were up against. but then Sept 11 hit and EVERYONE started loving America (well, almost everyone i guess) so i guess i just felt like people weren't really being genuine about it...then again, they could've just needed a reminder of how great this country can/could be. but i feel a little reluctant when mom and dad mention changing the living room into an Americana theme. they've gone a little Americana crazy in the house, and outside of the house (we have red, white, and blue lights hanging in the garden for pete's sake) but don't get me wrong, i still love this country and i still feel very blessed to be living here...but i just feel like some people go a little overboard with showing their love for this country...just my opinion.

and Erika, you have brought up some very good points here! and i agree with them all...especially the ones on this page! :)

cymbaldiva, it's ok you didn't make your one statement too clear! Lord knows i've done that my fair share of times! but i wanted to post my opinion anyway, and so i kinda used your message as a soap box to help me :animwink:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom