A Worse Dark Ride Than Mermaid

Phroobar

There are some good old fashion dark rides like the Terror Ride and Dracula's Castle at Lagoon in Utah. They just updated the Terror Ride. In Dracula's Castle, you sit in a coffin as it drives around. I can't wait to go back.

bluerhythym

I think Ariel's is an okay dark ride, but the elaborate facade just sets up too grand of expectations. When I walk under that rotunda and through the doorway, I half expect to see a symphony or opera inside. Instead we just get rainbow colored clamshells. If the entrance was a little bit quainter and the building was a bit more hidden, I think people would have much better opinions of it.

Maybe with the upcoming changes to the area, this ride can be absorbed by Pacific Wharf and receive an SF style makeover...

D

Deleted member 107043

I think Ariel's is an okay dark ride, but the elaborate facade just sets up too grand of expectations. When I walk under that rotunda and through the doorway, I half expect to see a symphony or opera inside. Instead we just get rainbow colored clamshells. If the entrance was a little bit quainter and the building was a bit more hidden, I think people would have much better opinions of it.

Maybe with the upcoming changes to the area, this ride can be absorbed by Pacific Wharf and receive an SF style makeover...

The building is a Disneyfied version of grand seaside amusement pier architecture, like Luna Park's Dragon's Gorge at Coney Island:

card00271_fr.jpg

It's a clever bit of place making that incorporates the Palace of Fine Arts Rotunda from the 1915 Panama Exposition in San Francisco. Personally I hope they keep it. TBH I wouldn't mind if they expanded on this theme down towards Goofy's Sky Skool.

Travel Junkie

This kind of makes me wonder. Why can't a non Disney theme park come up with a dark ride that is better than even the worst Disney (Pooh Bear) dark ride? They are always ride around in the dark and a light turns on a monster or someone getting killed or a loud noise happens. Universal seems like the only one that can do Disney level dark rides.

Efteling has Disney level quality dark rides. And they do so at a fraction of the budget.

D

Deleted member 107043

Nope, Pooh is still better than Mermaid. Pooh has charm, Mermaid just feels like a cheap small ride in the shell of a giant building.

Maybe if you're a fan of elaborate Disney Store window displays it works. No kidding that's what came to mind the last time I went through the ride, since the overall production is pretty much on that level of sophistication. Other than the subject matter and the absurdly scaled beehive vehicles it's about as generic as a dark ride can be and still be labeled Disney.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 107043

Efteling has Disney level quality dark rides. And they do so at a fraction of the budget.

I've seen some of their rides online and I agree that they look very good.

That said I feel that Disney P&R has learned it's lesson about skimping on brand experience under Pressler. The things coming out of P&R/WDI in recent years are outstanding and impressive. I'm feeling optimistic.

bluerhythym

The building is a Disneyfied version of grand seaside amusement pier architecture, like Luna Park's Dragon's Gorge at Coney Island

That's pretty neat, I've never seen that. To clarify, I think the building itself is beautiful - I just don't think it works for a little Little Mermaid D-ticket.

Although that thought is probably just an extension of not loving the boardwalk theme in the first place!

MissPixie

I have to say my recent trip in July I was anticipating The Little Mermaid ride and boy was I disappointed with it once the ride was over. I also rode Winnie the Pooh without nearly as much anticipation and I was more pleased with that ride as my my 2 year old son than The Little Mermaid.

George Lucas on a Bench

Pooh is a flawed ride, but it has that super charming rainfall effect. I think there's even a window of shiny material meant to represent rain. Wow!

The Little Mermaid is rather excruciating to sit through. The ominimover was so wrong for that type of ride. It reminded me of the Finding Nemo omnimover at Epcot, which is similarly boring and poorly designed. The only memorable scene is Ursula'a lair. It has that mega charming blinking eye effect in the wall which makes it briefly feel like a classic dark ride. The rest is just boring and ugly. If I wanted that, I'd just look in the mirror for 5 minutes.

NobodyElse

It *is* a carny dark ride. But even carny dark rides usually have at least a *couple* of props inside. This is literally an empty box. And, like Phruby said, they couldn't even get the "dark" part right. :D

On top of that, they threw aside the decades old tradition of airbrush art on the facade.

kap91

This kind of makes me wonder. Why can't a non Disney theme park come up with a dark ride that is better than even the worst Disney (Pooh Bear) dark ride? They are always ride around in the dark and a light turns on a monster or someone getting killed or a loud noise happens. Universal seems like the only one that can do Disney level dark rides.

You clearly have not seen the videos of Efeltings Symbolica.

troy.

Efteling again....

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom