A Worse Dark Ride Than Mermaid

Rich T

Original Poster
I'll never understand how Mermaid gets tossed into the bad / worst category of dark rides. Sure, it's no HM or POTC, but it's nowhere near a Superstar Limo either.
For me, it comes down to this: They took one of the most exciting animated films Disney ever produced--a film full of sharks, lost souls, a giant whirlpool of shipwrecks and a giant evil sea witch--and removed every single exciting element. This is the exact OPPOSITE of what a dark ride based on a film should do. It's called "Ariel's Undersea Adventure," but they removed every single bit of adventure from the story. Anyone on this forum could have come up with a more engaging sequence of ride scenes from that film. As it is, Mermaid is like "Disney Sing-Along-Songs: Little Mermaid: The Ride."

Dead2009

Horror Movie Guru
This looks like a ride you'll find at a carnival, not sure how this can compare to a ride actually built by professionals.

George Lucas on a Bench

Also, Superstar Limo isn't as offensive as, say, the 90s redo of Journey Into Imagination. Who was it at WDI that recently said that Disney has always enhanced an attraction when changing it? Yeah, no.

Superstar Limo was kitschy as heck and just sort of unintentionally charming.

Rich T

Original Poster
This looks like a ride you'll find at a carnival, not sure how this can compare to a ride actually built by professionals.
It *is* a carny dark ride. But even carny dark rides usually have at least a *couple* of props inside. This is literally an empty box. And, like Phruby said, they couldn't even get the "dark" part right. :D

Tick Tock

So I finally got to watch the video. (YouTube has not been a cooperative mistress on this work computer lately).

That was, um, sad. Unless perhaps the theme of the ride is to tell the story of frozen goods or other boxed wares being jostled around in the back of a big rig in transport. If that's the case, then they created the ambiance brilliantly.

Phroobar

This kind of makes me wonder. Why can't a non Disney theme park come up with a dark ride that is better than even the worst Disney (Pooh Bear) dark ride? They are always ride around in the dark and a light turns on a monster or someone getting killed or a loud noise happens. Universal seems like the only one that can do Disney level dark rides.

D

Deleted member 107043

I'll never understand how Mermaid gets tossed into the bad / worst category of dark rides. Sure, it's no HM or POTC, but it's nowhere near a Superstar Limo either.

I like TLM ride, especially the Under The Sea sequence. As omnimover rides go it's one of the better ones WDI has produced, certainly more entertaining than Adventure Thru Inner Space, World of Motion, or If You Had Wings/Dreamlights.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom