A Wakanda Attraction? Whoopi says yes

Brer Oswald

I’d agree, but with the Rock’s new movie, I figure it’s almost a foregone conclusion that Disney will just alter it beyond all recognition instead of replace it. I figure that when/if they announce a The Rock overlay, they’ll target either Peter Pan or the whole Tom Sawyer Island/riverboat/BTMRR area next.
People actually like the Peter Pan IP. So it’s probably safe. It’ll still receive much needed “modifications”, hopefully with a full refurb. Tom Sawyer Island will definitely be made more marketable...I-I mean more inclusive at some point.

DCLcruiser

I’d prefer they represent actually cultures in Epcot/Animal Kingdom as opposed to fictional cultures. But I really couldn’t care less what they put in World Showcase.

Nevertheless, feels like a good project for DCA/DHS
I hear ya, but Frozen, Guardians and Pandora have opened the door. I wouldn't be upset about a Big Hero 6 ride at Japan, etc.

UNCgolf

Jungle Cruise. That’ll be the next target.
I’d agree, but with the Rock’s new movie, I figure it’s almost a foregone conclusion that Disney will just alter it beyond all recognition instead of replace it. I figure that when/if they announce a The Rock overlay, they’ll target either Peter Pan or the whole Tom Sawyer Island/riverboat/BTMRR area next.

They announced a long time ago (2017, I think) that they would be making changes to the Jungle Cruise along with the movie. The Rock (or at least his people) are involved in the process.

I assume that was originally going to be contingent on the movie actually performing well, but at this point they may do it regardless just to head off any potential complaints about the ride.

UNCgolf

I’d prefer they represent actually cultures in Epcot/Animal Kingdom as opposed to fictional cultures. But I really couldn’t care less what they put in World Showcase.

Nevertheless, feels like a good project for DCA/DHS

I care about what they put in World Showcase and Wakanda absolutely should not go there. If you're going to represent sub-Saharan Africa (and they should), put in Nigeria or another real country, not something completely fictional. That seems insulting.

Wakanda can happily go into DHS, though. Which, despite all the recent construction, is still the park that needs additions the most.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
"Disney and Universal also reportedly have come to a legal understanding that allows Disney to use characters not currently referenced inside Universal Orlando's Islands of Adventure to be used in Walt Disney World attractions. That's why Disney is building a Guardians of the Galaxy roller coaster in the old Universe of Energy pavilion at Epcot. But Disney still can't use the brand name "Marvel" in promoting its theme park attractions at Walt Disney World... or at Disneyland, for that matter. "

No agreement was needed, the version of the Guardians of the Galaxy that is in the movies was created after the agreement was made with Universal.

BubbaisSleep

I care about what they put in World Showcase and Wakanda absolutely should not go there. If you're going to represent sub-Saharan Africa (and they should), put in Nigeria or another real country, not something completely fictional. That seems insulting.

Wakanda can happily go into DHS, though. Which, despite all the recent construction, is still the park that needs additions the most.
I don't see why they can't do both a real country & Wakanda.
Something similar to London & Diagon Alley in USF.

Brer Oswald

I don’t think it should go there either.

doctornick

Except Black Panther is referenced, in the yellow sculpture in the middle of the land.

That wouldn’t prevent the character from being used at WDW (that is just “incidental” use). What prevents Black Panther from being used at WDW is that he is clearly in the same Avengers “family” as other characters in use at Uni (e.g. Captain America).

IIRC Doctor Strange is also on a mural in IoA but was able to be used at WDW.

UNCgolf

I don't see why they can't do both a real country & Wakanda.
Something similar to London & Diagon Alley in USF.

Because the World Showcase is supposed to be about real places.

Putting Frozen in Norway really diluted that, but the pavilion itself is still Norway. Creating a whole pavilion for Wakanda would be tossing the entire concept out of the window. Might as well just bulldoze the whole showcase and build something totally new there.

I also think trying to build something like a Nigeria pavilion and then shoehorn Wakanda in there as part of it would be pretty insulting, as I said before.

EagleScout610

Always causin' some kind of commotion downstream
Premium Member
So if we're talking about reskinning an "At risk" attraction, I genuinely can't think of anywhere to put Wakanda. MK is out, for obvious reasons. Animal is most likely, seeing as they can kinda pull a Pandora

BubbaisSleep

Because the World Showcase is supposed to be about real places.

Putting Frozen in Norway really diluted that, but the pavilion itself is still Norway. Creating a whole pavilion for Wakanda would be tossing the entire concept out of the window. Might as well just bulldoze the whole showcase and build something totally new there.

I also think trying to build something like a Nigeria pavilion and then shoehorn Wakanda in there as part of it would be pretty insulting, as I said before.
I see what you're saying, I just think if it was done appropriately it wouldn't be insulting.
Whether we like it or not, there's not much to provide in terms of Africa that wouldn't be better placed inside Animal Kingdom.
Why not have a huge land based off of Rwanda (Wakanda is rumored to be nearby), then include Wakanda behind it. It wouldn't dilute anything if it was contained to it's own area, similar to London & Diagon Alley.

Of course we're talking about Epcot today. If Mary Poppins can have a made-up street in the UK & Norway is able to contain made-up country based off it, I don't see why Africa cannot be represented in all of it's glory while accompanied by a made-up Wakanda. RAT is literally the only one that gets away with this because it actually takes place in a real city. Poppin's, Frozen, & Wakanda are all in the same boat.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom