A Wakanda Attraction? Whoopi says yes

DCLcruiser

Whoopi can sponsor, a la EPCOT of old.

Would it be possible to build a Wakanda attraction at WDW, without using Black Panther, in order to skirt the Universal issue? Sort of like how Star Tours didn't always use major Star Wars characters, but we knew it was a Star Wars experience.

wannabeBelle

Original Poster
I like Animal Kingdom for parts of it or the Studios for the more futuristic stuff. A whole new land without getting rid of anything would be ideal. I could have seen the Tron Coaster rethemed to replicate the trains in Wakanda. There are a lot of great ideas that could be used. Marie

Touchdown

Studios or World Showcase. You could have Wakanda open a pavilion. If they really wanted to be cleaver, have an Equitorial Africa Pavilion which is actually a front for a Wakanda Science Center (aka the E ticket and meet and greet, located in the back,) that way you don’t betray the Epcot concept, and can still have typical Epcot streemosphere shops and resturants in the front half of the pavilion.

DCLcruiser

Studios or World Showcase. You could have Wakanda open a pavilion. If they really wanted to be cleaver, have an Equitorial Africa Pavilion which is actually a front for a Wakanda Science Center (aka the E ticket and meet and greet, located in the back,) that way you don’t betray the Epcot concept, and can still have typical Epcot streemosphere shops and resturants in the front half of the pavilion.
Love it.

WEDway Inc & Company LLC

Sure, but they can't currently use Black Panther at WDW and the Marvel franchise is getting a land of its own at DL with a planned E-ticket that takes place in Wakanda so.....

"Disney and Universal also reportedly have come to a legal understanding that allows Disney to use characters not currently referenced inside Universal Orlando's Islands of Adventure to be used in Walt Disney World attractions. That's why Disney is building a Guardians of the Galaxy roller coaster in the old Universe of Energy pavilion at Epcot. But Disney still can't use the brand name "Marvel" in promoting its theme park attractions at Walt Disney World... or at Disneyland, for that matter. "

Touchdown

"Disney and Universal also reportedly have come to a legal understanding that allows Disney to use characters not currently referenced inside Universal Orlando's Islands of Adventure to be used in Walt Disney World attractions. That's why Disney is building a Guardians of the Galaxy roller coaster in the old Universe of Energy pavilion at Epcot. But Disney still can't use the brand name "Marvel" in promoting its theme park attractions at Walt Disney World... or at Disneyland, for that matter. "

Except Black Panther is referenced, in the yellow sculpture in the middle of the land.

RSoxNo1

Whoopi can sponsor, a la EPCOT of old.

Would it be possible to build a Wakanda attraction at WDW, without using Black Panther, in order to skirt the Universal issue? Sort of like how Star Tours didn't always use major Star Wars characters, but we knew it was a Star Wars experience.
This has been discussed on these forums before, and by all accounts seems conceivable legally.

DCLcruiser

Wouldn’t that defeat the purpose of the request?
The request is to honor the actor, Chadwick Boseman, and how the movie finally provides for comic representation for that community. So, Black Panther can be blatant in DLR, but in WDW a similar affect can be had by representing the country/culture/technology of Wakanda (and maybe real equatorial Africa). The character can be removed, just like how Han Solo and Luke Skywalker aren't in Star Tours, but you know it is a Star Wars ride. There are many powerful and memorable characters besides BP in the movie.

This has been discussed on these forums before, and by all accounts seems conceivable legally.
I'll take that as a win!

Demarke

Have I told you lately that I 👍 you?
Premium Member
Jungle Cruise. That’ll be the next target.
I’d agree, but with the Rock’s new movie, I figure it’s almost a foregone conclusion that Disney will just alter it beyond all recognition instead of replace it. I figure that when/if they announce a The Rock overlay, they’ll target either Peter Pan or the whole Tom Sawyer Island/riverboat/BTMRR area next.

Brer Oswald

The request is to honor the actor, Chadwick Boseman, and how the movie finally provides for comic representation for that community. So, Black Panther can be blatant in DLR, but in WDW a similar affect can be had by representing the country/culture/technology of Wakanda (and maybe real equatorial Africa). The character can be removed, just like how Han Solo and Luke Skywalker aren't in Star Tours, but you know it is a Star Wars ride. There are many powerful and memorable characters besides BP in the movie.

I'll take that as a win!
I’d prefer they represent actually cultures in Epcot/Animal Kingdom as opposed to fictional cultures. But I really couldn’t care less what they put in World Showcase.

Nevertheless, feels like a good project for DCA/DHS

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom