A Terror-rific Spirited 13th (ToT fans have lots to fear)...

BrianLo

aka Disney and Shendi's publicly stated goal for phase one is 12 Million. That's not even supposed to be year one.

The projections have been completely all over the map, but there is a lot of confusion in the media between the analysts projections, which were completely out of whack and the owners (Shendi/Disney).

I think there was some early shenanigans about 25 million. Even at 15 million, analysts were smoking something. Predicting a park would instantly become one of the top 5 in the world is asking for failure. Especially when park capacity doesn't really even allow for 15 million annually.

Shendi predicted between 10-12 million. Iger stated they "would be thrilled" at 10 million and that would allow them to move into the black far earlier than they had anticipated. Meaning Disney's internal projections were sub-10.

I can't speak for everyone, but I was there 4 days and I didn't experience any of that. It really was quite nice. I'm writing up more about Shanghai Disney and want to share that soon, but it seems like there's a strong amount of bias against the park in several newspapers. I went during a slower period, but still it was nothing like that.

(sic)

Honestly I don't know how they could have launched this park any better. Like any launch it wasn't perfect, but it seems like they're off to a great start.

I don't really care all that much if the park succeeds, but it sure seems there are a bunch of people heavily rooting for failure. Interesting to watch.

Agreed. All sorts of weird agenda's at play amongst the media. Even boiling it down to us here, I think there is a pervasive belief that if Shanghai fails WDW will somehow start investing properly again. In actuality the opposite is probably true. If Shanghai really failed hard this year, those aggressive Disneyland plans and plans for Epcot would be off the table.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
The projections have been completely all over the map, but there is a lot of confusion in the media between the analysts projections, which were completely out of whack and the owners (Shendi/Disney).

I think there was some early shenanigans about 25 million. Even at 15 million, analysts were smoking something. Predicting a park would instantly become one of the top 5 in the world is asking for failure. Especially when park capacity doesn't really even allow for 15 million annually.

Shendi predicted between 10-12 million. Iger stated they "would be thrilled" at 10 million and that would allow them to move into the black far earlier than they had anticipated. Meaning Disney's internal projections were sub-10.

Agreed. All sorts of weird agenda's at play amongst the media. Even boiling it down to us here, I think there is a pervasive belief that if Shanghai fails WDW will somehow start investing properly again. In actuality the opposite is probably true. If Shanghai really failed hard this year, those aggressive Disneyland plans and plans for Epcot would be off the table.
Agreed. Success in Shanghai is good for P&R overall. It would definitely help Wall St get more comfortable with additional major capital projects.

Mike S

Speaking of Shanghai the Roaring Rapids ride opened today after being closed for 3 months.
Disco Croc?

Never believed that for a second. It would've been DLP part 2.

Cesar R M

I enjoy the bias in the Shanghai List article. According to them in 6 months they had 5.6M visitors and if attendance continues at the same level it will barely be over 10M for the first year. Maybe my basic math is a little rusty, but wouldn't that be 11.2M for the year. If they consider 1.2M to be barely anything they can cut me a check;)

I don't really care all that much if the park succeeds, but it sure seems there are a bunch of people heavily rooting for failure. Interesting to watch.
Maybe they are taking into consideration the swings of attendance based on the vacations and the huge "march" of vacationers during very specific times.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Maybe they are taking into consideration the swings of attendance based on the vacations and the huge "march" of vacationers during very specific times.
Maybe, but they did say if attendance continued at the current level. Seems to me like basic math getting in the way of a good story.

the.dreamfinder

Maybe, but they did say if attendance continued at the current level. Seems to me like basic math getting in the way of a good story.
What does current levels mean though? It could mean, as has been interpreted here, attendance levels are consistent throughout the year. Conversely, attendance continuing at current levels could refer to seasonal projections, which the park is meeting, not that the park is consistently busy.

Princess Leia

Zootopia & Moana both were nominated for Best Animated Picture (along with My Life As a Zucchini, The Red Turtle, and Kubo & the Two Strings). No love for Universal's other pictures, Sing & Secret Life of Pets, or Pixar's Finding Dory. Moana also was nominated for Best Original Song (How Far I'll Go).

No #OscarsSoWhite this year, with nominations going to Denzel Washington, Ruth Negga, Dev Patel, Mahershala Ali, Viola Davis, Naomie Harris, and Octavia Spencer all being nominated. :joyfull:

Meryl Streep was nominated for a record breaking 20th time (unpopular opinion- Amy Adams should have been nominated instead :cautious:)

This sounds bad, but I have yet to see any of the films nominated for Best Picture. I've been wanting to see Hidden Figures, La La Land and Moonlight, but haven't had the opportunity yet.

After getting surprise nominations at the Golden Globes, Producers Guild of America Awards and Writers Guild Awards, and 2 wins at the Critics Choice Awards, Deadpool was completely shut out of the nominations, so I'll be using #NotMyOscars for the next month ;)

The_Jobu

Meryl Streep was nominated for a record breaking 20th time (unpopular opinion- Amy Adams should have been nominated instead :cautious:)

Ehhhh, I don't think that's a very unpopular opinion, especially around here ;)

This sounds bad, but I have yet to see any of the films nominated for Best Picture

That's usually par for the course for me. I knows what I likes, and it's usually nothing that's trendy or nominated.

Deadpool was completely shut out of the nominations, so I'll be using #NotMyOscars for the next month

Excellent idea! If I had my own twitter I'd probably join you.

Princess Leia

Ehhhh, I don't think that's a very unpopular opinion, especially around here ;)

That's usually par for the course for me. I knows what I likes, and it's usually nothing that's trendy or nominated.

Excellent idea! If I had my own twitter I'd probably join you.
Don't get me wrong, I love Meryl Streep. However, this was a pretty strong year for women, and it's not like this was Meryl's last year of acting.
Deadpool was the underdog that could. And it wasn't even nominated for a sound or effects category. :cry: Rogue One was nominated in the Sound Mixing and Visual Effects categories. Jungle Book & Doctor Strange were also nominated for Visual Effects.

Ideally, I'd like to see Jungle Book win Visual Effects, Zootopia win Best Animated, and Moana win Best Original Song, but that trifecta will probably be decimated by La La Land winning for the song.

the.dreamfinder

Disney campaigned to get Zootopia nominated for multiple Oscars, including Best Picture, but I guess the Academy wasn't interested.
Animated films getting nominations for categories like visual effects, see Kubo, art direction, production and costume design should be where the focus is placed. As long as Best Animated Film exists as a category, it will be very hard for an animated film to receive a best picture nomination. Animated films, like Zootopia or Kubo, regularly offer the best work of the year in those fieldslisted above. Get Academy members to think about that work beyond best animated feature and maybe the mindset will slowly change.

Quinnmac000

Animated films getting nominations for categories like visual effects, see Kubo, art direction, production and costume design should be where the focus is placed. As long as Best Animated Film exists as a category, it will be very hard for an animated film to receive a best picture nomination. Animated films, like Zootopia or Kubo, regularly offer the best work of the year in those fieldslisted above. Get Academy members to think about that work beyond best animated feature and maybe the mindset will slowly change.

Add in the fact, most judges are open about not watching animated films, the days an animated films winning best picture are slim.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom