A Spirited Valentine ...

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
ESPN is still very profitable right now. Just not as profitable as it was before.

However, even if ESPN were to go broke and get into debt and steal a few billions from the Disney Company's purse to spend on coke and gambling, TWDC would hardly flinch, let alone be taken down.

If that were to happen, you and other investors would panic and sell of DIS stock. Then I and other smart folk will happily buy up their stock purchases at the heavy discount and have a good laugh about it five years later.

I sold my DIS shares last year. People overestimate how much Disney makes outside of the cable business.

rushtest4echo

I'm sure plenty of people are familiar with the true concept of ostracism. Can we take the person most ignored (I'm sure that's a metric the site owner has) and just remove them? Any guesses on who that might be?

The Empress Lilly

I'm sure plenty of people are familiar with the true concept of ostracism. Can we take the person most ignored (I'm sure that's a metric the site owner has) and just remove them? Any guesses on who that might be?
Yes, we're familiar with the true concept of ostracism. It is for bully rabblerousers who try to assemble a schoolyard bully mob of losers to try to silence others because they can't deal with exposure to an opinion that is not theirs.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Yes, we're familiar with the true concept of ostracism. It is for bully rabblerousers who try to assemble a schoolyard bully mob of losers to try to silence others because they can't deal with exposure to an opinion that is not theirs.

A - There is only one cure for bullies and it usually is applied as a unexpected impact to the snout.
B - Said mob might want to be careful of what they wish for, there are many lurkers who use the ignore list yet dont post
C - some of us don't use an ignore list because we are interested in all the opinions not just the ones that agree with us

Quinnmac000

Some Disney Imagineer lied to The Rock about Jungle Cruise because I'm pretty sure Animal Kingdom wasn't a thought back during Disneyland (real animals is accurate though).

Johnson talks about Disney Imagineers sharing concept art and other information to help in further understanding the design of the ride and its story. "Fascinating to understand Walt Disney's early idea for the #JungleCruise ride, which from the 1950's concept art behind me, was originally titled Jungle River and meant to be enjoyed with live animals at Animal Kingdom," he wrote.

http://www.bizjournals.com/orlando/news/2017/05/01/dwayne-johnson-to-work-with-disney-on-jungle.html

Last edited:

WDW1974

Original Poster
Spirited Quickees (Because you KNOW you want them!):

Stayed away, as much as possible, from the first major Pandora reveal. The Tweeter made that tough, though. And no one believes in spoilers there. I wonder how DIS made the list of the approved. They do seem to love Ricky these days.

Largely, I heard very positive feedback from people who have been in. While the attractions have had good to excellent reviews, the whole area is the attraction. Much like Radiator Springs or Diagon Alley where you have nice rides, but the real attraction is the environment. It looks like this land holds up very well in that aspect.

Of course, having a few hundred or few thousand people in at once is a big difference than having all those ECVs and double-wide strollers. How long before DIS starts ripping up all that amazing foliage for more stroller parking? You think anyone asked Joe Rohde about that?

You know that Shanghai Pirates ride and its amazing boat ride? That ride system has been set for a new attraction in another park. No, that park isn't in the USA!

You know, people in China largely don't care about Star Wars. I know I keep repeating it. My fans will tell you it's because I like to hear myself talk. They aren't wrong in this case. (To be fair, SDL has placed Kylo Ren on the cover of this week's Times Guide, so it's fresh on my mind.)

I've said it in its own thread, but can't repeat enough how much I HATE the look of the new IKEA DVC Villas at What Once Was Disney's Wilderness Lodge. They have destroyed a masterpiece to make a quick hit of timeshare $$$s.

I get that Disney, being a good 5-8 years behind the industry, thinks that everyone wants a generic room with all white bedding, fake wood floor, beds that you can fit lots of cereal under, strange headboards and a little decoration. But that isn't what has set WDW resorts apart. It is theming. And theming is a lot more than a print on the wall (that will be at Property Control in five years). Out of all the 'new' rooms I've seen across property, only the villas at DAK Lodge have maintained actual theme feel.

All of Disney resources in the swamps are being pushed to make Pandora the big success that it deserves. But sources say while DAK will see more labor than ever, naturally, other areas around the resort will see cutbacks in hours to make up for it. I know people have talked about shorter hours at MK, although I haven't seen proof of it, but that would be one way the added labor at DAK balances out some.

I finally opened some mail that's been sitting on the desk for months (no, not kidding!) and one package was from Disney's Golden Oak Club. Apparently, my tour of the place with Robert Niles' mom is the gift that keeps giving. Just a heads up, but Disney is now giving most DVC perks to Golden Oak buyers just because ... and if you buy a mini-mansion between now and the end of the year, you'll get five top of the line WDW APs for the next three years (with the ability to buy five more with no price listed, but I'm going to find out if that rate is better than my Charter AP rate. My guess is that it is because Disney doesn't believe in loyalty. It believes in selling $2.8 million mini-mansions). I wonder if being on that mailing list means they'll be trying to sell me a Club 33 membership soon too.

Jungle Cruise is getting a few enhancements for WDW's 50th. It is not getting a Maui overlay, no matter what The Rock says.

Has it really been 28 years since Disney-MGM opened? What an amazing place it was back in 1989. But the same could be said of all of WDW. Now, take a look at the place.

Yes, it is true. The original DLP version of Space Mountain will be coming back (looks like in 2018) in large part with a ''few updates." You have no idea how happy this makes me.

HKDL debuted its third hotel this weekend, the Explorers Lodge. I know it has mixed reviews from American fanbois. I also know I want to stay there.

Lots of chatter about ESPN. Firing personalities when they are not the problem reeks of typical knee-jerk business as usual where you show Wall Street you mean business by destroying the lives of employees. ESPN has issues, but it isn't going anywhere. It has been slow to adapt to change in the business AND has overpaid vastly for some rights fees. It's also made some horrible decisions like basically killing Monday Night Football by moving it from ABC to ESPN and allowing NBC to wind up with the premier package on Sunday nights. It also was a non-factor in bidding for Thursday night rights the past few years because it didn't want to anger Shonda, by making TGIT fans wait.

That's about it for now ... I'll be around for most of the week and then I'll be taking leave of this place for a while. But when I come back, I'll have some thoughts and experiences from most of Disney's international parks and resorts.

Last edited by a moderator:

HMF

Yes, it is true. The original DLP version of Space Mountain will be coming back (looks like in 2018) in large part with a ''few updates." You have no idea how happy this makes me
It makes me happy too as my DLP trip has likely been delayed until 2019. I don't mind Hyperspace as a temporary thing but it will be nice to see it as it was meant to be seen considering it might be my only visit ever.

BrianLo

WDW1974 said:
You know that Shanghai Pirates ride and its amazing boat ride? That ride system has been set for a new attraction in another park. No, that park isn't in the USA!

Well that's rather interesting. Obviously we can knock out Shanghai, DLRP would be lovely but I feel like that would be a shocking investment. So is this what Frozen is being plussed to in Hong Kong or for a new build in Tokyo?

lazyboy97o

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom