A Spirited Valentine ...

the.dreamfinder

Oh, and just a quick note, but an important one that came to me earlier tonight but ... all those plans for HKDL, TDL and EPCOT ... are all in flux right now. Just because Disney has said things are happening doesn't mean they are or in the manner announced or on the timelines. Just a word to anyone planning trips or thinking on making decisions based upon when they think things will open or change etc. A lot of things are being rethunk in the swamps. And HK is having major political problems with backing Disney's plans. And TDL plans are actually becoming more impressive, but changes are happening ... and that is all.
Hong Kong now has a "tear down the resort and build housing" brigade. Reminds me of the "Timeshares and a Walmart" brigade back when Disneyland Paris was in the gutter before the takeover.
http://scmp.com/comment/insight-opi...ss-making-hong-kong-disneyland-and-put-public

VJ

Oh, and just a quick note, but an important one that came to me earlier tonight but ... all those plans for HKDL, TDL and EPCOT ... are all in flux right now. Just because Disney has said things are happening doesn't mean they are or in the manner announced or on the timelines. Just a word to anyone planning trips or thinking on making decisions based upon when they think things will open or change etc. A lot of things are being rethunk in the swamps. And HK is having major political problems with backing Disney's plans. And TDL plans are actually becoming more impressive, but changes are happening ... and that is all.
Disney isn't to be trusted?! You're kidding! What a shock!

/s

HMF

The superbowl spot let me down (anachronistic song/editing), but this one is a LOT better. Was surprised to see they are billing this as the final outing... first indication as such (marketing ploy?). I highly doubt that will be the case...
They can only milk this cow for so long.

flynnibus

Premium Member
I am sure GotG will be fun. I am also sure it won't be as good as Deadpool. ... I still want to go back to 2007 and do a poll of Disney fanbois about their feelings for Marvel.

Dead pool unfortunately is still to raw to enjoy with my kids. I was thinking the other night about GoTG vs avengers and thinking who would have thunk this set of characters could pull off as big of a movie as the big guns like Thor, Spider-Man, etc. if vol2 works... I'll put it right along side the avengers flick.

I still put avengers 1 up as the formula model for the 'new' superhero flick. Tho the dark knight is the Magnus opus I think

Princess Leia

Dead pool unfortunately is still to raw to enjoy with my kids. I was thinking the other night about GoTG vs avengers and thinking who would have thunk this set of characters could pull off as big of a movie as the big guns like Thor, Spider-Man, etc. if vol2 works... I'll put it right along side the avengers flick.

I still put avengers 1 up as the formula model for the 'new' superhero flick. Tho the dark knight is the Magnus opus I think
If we're looking at the last 10 years of superhero movies, I believe that the ones that rise to the top (in no order) are The Dark Knight, The Avengers, Captain America: The Winter Soldier, Guardians of the Galaxy, and Deadpool. All of them have their flaws (TDK and Avengers are a few minutes too long, Cap 2 could be confusing for first time Marvel viewers, GotG has a forgettable villain, CGI for Colossus was a little off), but they're pretty near perfect. Each created discussions about what a superhero movie could be. Examples:
  • The Dark Knight- dark, gritty storytelling, an amazing villain, flawless plot and acting. One of the best movies of the 21st century.
  • The Avengers- Superhero team ups can be fun and exciting (sorry X-Men). Great villain, really great characterizations of most of the cast (sorry Hawkeye), amazing supporting cast (Coulson, Hill, Fury), and Whedonesque in the best way.
  • Captain America: The Winter Soldier- "Dark and gritty- but fun!"
  • Guardians of the Galaxy- Unknown properties, when developed correctly, can be incredibly successful. Doesn't hurt to have a wonderful soundtrack either
  • Deadpool- Small budget + great story + hilarious delivery = profit
I wanted to put Iron Man on this list (for a couple of months, people were calling it the best superhero movie- then TDK came out), but I wanted to keep the list at 5. I think it's pretty similar to Guardians in tone, but GotG was just a little bit better, so the first Iron Man gets an honorable mention from me.

Last edited:

HarrisburgMouse

The HKDL situation is very interesting----sounds like the HK legislature is not too excited about paying their 53% of the expansion cost as the park lost money last year and let people go: http://disneyandmore.blogspot.fr/2017/03/hong-kong-disneyland-expansion-is-far.html

CastleBound

Nintendo is going to take more time than UNI fanbois want to hear. And it has seen cuts (the Zelda attraction being one).
Well that's really upsetting to me. The one thing I hoped for out of all of this. Zelda is prime for a great attraction. Maybe the reaction to BotW will sway some minds.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Not excited at all by the concept for this or what I have heard.

Yeah just take a cab ride in NYC with a Iranian driver (my vote for craziest cab drivers, with Irish in second place) and you have a MUCH more exciting ride.

Excitement defined by total defiance of traffic laws and obeying the laws of physics just enough to keep the shiny side of the cab upright

Last edited:

flynnibus

Premium Member
I wanted to put Iron Man on this list (for a couple of months, people were calling it the best superhero movie- then TDK came out), but I wanted to keep the list at 5. I think it's pretty similar to Guardians in tone, but GotG was just a little bit better, so the first Iron Man gets an honorable mention from me.

First Iron Man gets the nod as the 'trend setter' - It's the Nirvana of Superhero flicks... but Avengers is a more complete package with wider appeal. It's the Pearl Jam to Iron Man's Nirvana :)

The 'hero panning moment' in Avengers in the city battle with the soundtrack = 'the moment' when it all comes together as the new benchmark. Iron Man has great contemporary music tie-ins.. but The Avengers has the theme with those orchestra horns that define their own fingerprint that is in the mold of the great movie themes from Williams, etc.

Astro Blaster

Nintendo is going to take more time than UNI fanbois want to hear. And it has seen cuts (the Zelda attraction being one).

Disney is going to have more additions to its parks over the next few years. But the real battle will be two-fold: Disney Springs vs. City Walk and hotels. Both companies will be placing major $$$ behind increasing on property lodging options and upping their games (and with Disney, at least, price points as well).

This is the time when Beijing starts taking resources from other places. Orlando would be one ...
I believe you've previously said that it would be surprising if Disney built more deluxe hotels. Will these new "lodging options" be expansions of current hotels or totally new offerings? If new offerings I'm hoping for new deluxe hotels or at least moderate...

seascape

For what its worth, since Deadpool was brought up here, I just got a survery from Six Flags asking if I thought a Deadpool ride would be a good addition.

jencor

I have a problem with Deadpool as a ride. I have not seen the movie, but I do not go out to watch "R" rated movies. I am over 17, that is just my choice, but at the same time, the movie industry as decided that all kids under 17 needed an adult to go see a movie cause it was rated as questionable. Should a ride be put up that was questionable to kids watching. Wouldn't having a ride make them want to go see a movie that even the industry questioned. I know a lot will disagree and I am sure the ride would not be "R" rated and I would enjoy it, just not sure I can promote a movie that was not meant at all for families.

Mike S

The way I envision a Deadpool ride is as a retheme of the Storm Force teacup ride in IoA.

Why you ask? Because Deadpool is Deadpool and Deadpool likes some stupid stuff. He would proudly announce how amazing his new ride is and how much better it is than Spider-Man's. Multiple times he would also regret having to refrain from foul language due to Universal being a "family place" breaking the fourth wall. He did find a way around it though and put it right in the name of his amazing new ride:

"Deadpool's Sit & Spin"

Princess Leia

The way I envision a Deadpool ride is as a retheme of the Storm Force teacup ride in IoA.

Why you ask? Because Deadpool is Deadpool and Deadpool likes some stupid stuff. He would proudly announce how amazing his new ride is and how much better it is than Spider-Man's. Multiple times he would also regret having to refrain from foul language due to Universal being a "family place" breaking the fourth wall. He did find a way around it though and put it right in the name of his amazing new ride:

"Deadpool's Sit & Spin"
Or it could be a combination of Storm Force and bumper cars.

Deadpool's Intertwining Circlular Krash-cars

(If Disney can use Monsters Inc Laugh Floor and Alien Swirling Saucers, Deadpool can too)

Horizons78

Grade "A" Funny...
I have a problem with Deadpool as a ride. I have not seen the movie, but I do not go out to watch "R" rated movies. I am over 17, that is just my choice, but at the same time, the movie industry as decided that all kids under 17 needed an adult to go see a movie cause it was rated as questionable. Should a ride be put up that was questionable to kids watching. Wouldn't having a ride make them want to go see a movie that even the industry questioned. I know a lot will disagree and I am sure the ride would not be "R" rated and I would enjoy it, just not sure I can promote a movie that was not meant at all for families.

Terminator was an "R" and it was turned into an attraction, so it's been done before.

Deadpool's R is not the same R as Terminator though lol.

jencor

Terminator was an "R" and it was turned into an attraction, so it's been done before.

Deadpool's R is not the same R as Terminator though lol

I agree and not saying it can't be done. Also PG-13 came out the year Terminator came out, so not sure that was an option at the time and let's face facts, the movie industry has changed a lot since then. I bet if Terminator came out today it would be PG-13. Also, Universal is not Disney, who I thought tries for Family entertainment at the parks.

RandySavage

"The final adventure begins" sounds like there might be a finale trilogy planned to me, but I guess it depends on how you read it. I agree with you about teaser #2, I didn't like the music choice; this one was ten times better though.

I missed that on first viewing. It is an odd word to include if this were the final movie. This movie did have an unusually long post-production (production wrapped almost 2-years prior to release date). Maybe in post they decided to spread it over two movies (like The Hobbit sequel) but decided to keep it under wraps?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom