A Spirited Valentine ...

WDW1974

Original Poster
You forgot to mention Move It Shake It will soon be showing at night at MK.

I try to forget that is still here. That was part of the 2008-09 marketing campaign. I think the Anaheim version lasted between 6-9 months (anyone know exactly?) It speaks to the cheapness of TDO and the desire to throw out the same stale product that it somehow is being presented in 2017 without any shame.

WDW1974

Original Poster
I'm excited!

If I'm being brutally honest, I'm almost completely sure Universal Beijing is misplaced. Besides Shanghai being the cultural center, it's going to have awful weather.

With that said, at least the roster looks pretty great.

Neither city has what I would call a nice theme park climate. Although neither does Orlando and that sure means nothing!

But you can weatherize and I wish I could give examples (I can't right now) where people wanted covered walkways and larger showbuildings that incorporated dining and retail so people would be indoors more and were shot down (largely by Woodbury). I wish the Chinese were being as forceful with UNI as they were with Disney and that could change. I know there was a lot of concern at Creative about the partners visit.

But it would seem Disney also didn't weatherize Shanghai as much as they should have. I think 90% of the pics I have seen since opening are showing the park in the rain.

If you like everything you see at UNI's existing parks, then you'll like this. The sad thing is the original plans were much greater in scope and more unique (like what Disney did) and UNI is totally playing this safe. I'm debating visiting UNI-Osaka on my upcoming trip to Japan and I have to say after talking to friends, I'm likely dropping it for now. Yes, there are 2-3 attractions that are unique and I'd like to ride Jaws again. But when I hear about the crowds and realize that a good 80% of the park is been there, done that (and not even changed at all from the US parks), I'd rather do more historical and natural sites.

Quinnmac000

Neither city has what I would call a nice theme park climate. Although neither does Orlando and that sure means nothing!

But you can weatherize and I wish I could give examples (I can't right now) where people wanted covered walkways and larger showbuildings that incorporated dining and retail so people would be indoors more and were shot down (largely by Woodbury). I wish the Chinese were being as forceful with UNI as they were with Disney and that could change. I know there was a lot of concern at Creative about the partners visit.

But it would seem Disney also didn't weatherize Shanghai as much as they should have. I think 90% of the pics I have seen since opening are showing the park in the rain.

If you like everything you see at UNI's existing parks, then you'll like this. The sad thing is the original plans were much greater in scope and more unique (like what Disney did) and UNI is totally playing this safe. I'm debating visiting UNI-Osaka on my upcoming trip to Japan and I have to say after talking to friends, I'm likely dropping it for now. Yes, there are 2-3 attractions that are unique and I'd like to ride Jaws again. But when I hear about the crowds and realize that a good 80% of the park is been there, done that (and not even changed at all from the US parks), I'd rather do more historical and natural sites.

UNI Osaka is unique when you go during UNIVERSAL JUMP, UNIVERSAL COOL, or HHN. They have a lot of special and unique attractions. Warning though if you go during Jump you will get drenched and soaked due to the fact nearly everyone in the park has waterguns and water cannons go off everywhere. The everyday line up is stuff you see state side.

Princess Leia

I'm a millenial that prefers the OT because I watched those on VHS first. Original non special editions as well. I still have the tapes too ;)

How do you expect Disney to handle a sequel trilogy to the original movies while still trying to please fans of the prequels even though they're separated much further back in the timeline? You can't do it. On the other hand Rogue One did have ties to the prequels with Leia's adopted father making an appearance from Episode III and the fact that Vader's castle is on Mustafar. Guess there wasn't enough bad acting in it though...
Definitely feel the same. While my sister and I appreciated the prequels growing up (which drove my dad crazy), we were just little kids who didn't know better. I love the OT (and I am waiting for 2020 to arrive so Disney can finally release the original cuts again) more than I do the prequels though.

In terms of who or what is going to be mentioned in the sequels, it will probably be strictly OT related. It would make no sense for Luke and Leia to talk about the Trade Federation and Gungans. Rogue One, and probably Han Solo, is where we will get cameos from Prequel (and Rogue One) characters.

As for China, I am very surprised that Rogue One did not do better. TFA tanked in China (a low budget animated film based off of a Chinese tv show crushed it in it's second week), but I was hoping that RO would have better success, since it was a stand alone and had 2 well known Chinese actors in its cast. I wouldn't be shocked if the only Star Wars lands were in America (though maybe one could end up at DSP).

Last edited:

NearTheEars

I try to forget that is still here. That was part of the 2008-09 marketing campaign. I think the Anaheim version lasted between 6-9 months (anyone know exactly?) It speaks to the cheapness of TDO and the desire to throw out the same stale product that it somehow is being presented in 2017 without any shame.

Hey now, it recieved an overhaul including screens and a new theme song a couple of years ago! Haha
The little kiddies seem to love it, and like the dance parties, it's one of the few times they get to informally mingle with your beloved teenage foam heads.

But in no way should it be seen as a major entertainment offering, and the fact that it is being moved into the night hours as the park continues to operate without a light parade is unfortunate.

Darth Sidious

Authentically Disney Distinctly Chinese
Makes you wonder if they will green light a Obi-wan Yoda movie. Or tie the new trilogy to Ewan in some way.

I think both will happen. There might be some people on these forums who know for sure but it sounded like the reason they haven't announced an Obi-Wan movie was because they are still planning to use the character (and Ewan) in the new trilogy.

FigmentJedi

Listen, this isn't a defense of it, but everyone seems to forget Avatar is still the highest grossing movie worldwide of all time. Without adjusting for inflation.

People on here are acting like people have never even heard of it. Good lord.
It made a ton of money, but after a year, everybody forgot it existed. No impact on the popular culture.

People associate the word Avatar with the Nickelodeon franchise that actually had interesting characters.

Last edited:

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
Listen, this isn't a defense of it, but everyone seems to forget Avatar is still the highest grossing movie worldwide of all time.
So what does that justify?

And what posts are you referring to that indicate people have never heard of Avatar?

ETA: While I could care less for the movie itself. Pandora at AK looks pretty good. Looking forward to experiencing it.

Princess Leia

It made a ton of money, but after a year, everybody forgot it existed. No impact on the popular culture.

People associate the word Avatar with the Nickelodeon franchise that actually had interesting characters.
  1. Avatar: The Last Airbender is still one of my favorite shows, and I really think it's one of the best TV series of the new millennium. It's a shame that the movie has to even exist.
  2. As for James Cameron's Avatar, I think that you're slightly off about it's pop culture impact. It revolutionized 3D. The medium went from being a gimmick to being a well rounded part of movies (not all movies have great 3D, but some, like Doctor Strange, were definitely enhanced by it). I think that the sequels are arriving 5 years too late. Avatar 1 came out in 2009. Avatar 2 will come out... when? There was talk of it being released this year, but I don't think they've even started with the motion capture yet. Pandora's opening could have been a great tie-in to the sequel, but it looks like that opportunity is lost.

brb1006

I remember that came out the same time Disneyland had Celebrate A Street Party however at least that one lasted for a few years and ended for real unlike Move It Shake It which was suppose to be temporary.

mickeyfan5534

Maybe if James Cameron lets one of the main characters freeze to death in cold water while the other characters survive on floating doors, people will take up arms and it'll become a cultural thing...

I know I'm still angry... ;)
Being honest, outside of Titanic none of James Cameron's works have had much cultural resonance. He's like the Imagineering of Hollywood, racking up big budgets to go on a vacation for "research purposes" and then spitting something out.

brb1006

"Celebrate! A Street Party" was basically a buffer between Parade of Dreams and Soundsational; it ran for a year and a half from March 2009 to November 2010. By summer 2011, Soundsational was open.
It sorta served as a filler until Soundsational debuted

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom