A Spirited Valentine ...

HMF

No end date has been set. My guess would be it goes until September of next year, like the 20th and DLR's 60th did.
Yeah, considering that MK's 25th, DL's 50th, DL's 60th and even the god-forsaken "Year of a Million Dreams" all lasted two years (Though Epcot's 25th only got a day.) I would be shocked if DLP's 25th doesn't last well into 2018.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Ladies and Gentleman, your 2017 Disney Legends
https://d23.com/here-are-the-nine-new-legends-who-will-be-honored-at-d23-expo/
Animator/Sequence Director Clyde "Gerry" Gironomi, Comic Book Artist Manuel Gonzales, Imagineer Wayne Jackson, "The Lion King" Broadway Musical Director Julie Taymour, Oprah Winfrey, Director Gary Marshall, and...
Stan Lee, Mark Hamill and Carrie Fisher.

Boo

Its getting to be like the rock n roll hof.... 'well, we gotta name somebody....'

Quinnmac000

Ladies and Gentleman, your 2017 Disney Legends
https://d23.com/here-are-the-nine-new-legends-who-will-be-honored-at-d23-expo/
Animator/Sequence Director Clyde "Gerry" Gironomi, Comic Book Artist Manuel Gonzales, Imagineer Wayne Jackson, "The Lion King" Broadway Musical Director Julie Taymour, Oprah Winfrey, Director Gary Marshall, and...
Stan Lee, Mark Hamill and Carrie Fisher.

Still trying to understand Julie Taymour being a Disney legend. If anything, outside of Lion King using puppetry, she has been been bad for theatre in general and lets not forget she produced the most expensive and one of the biggest money losing experiences for Marvel with Spiderman:Turn Off the Dark.

flynnibus

Premium Member
My kids loved the free ice cream, and it's fine for what it is - I even enjoyed being able to grab some ice cream almost whenever I wanted. But we were annoyed that anything... well, seemingly everything else was an upcharge. Premium ice cream? $. Gelato? $. Days-old cupcakes? $. And I don't like it where any adult activity is an upcharge - You're paying a premium for DCL and you can't have even a wine tasting included for free? I understand the spa services being fee-based, since they aren't owned and operated by Disney but by a third-party. But seemingly anything "adult"-related you had to pay for. We were beyond annoyed that we had to pay for popcorn and soda at the movie theater, particularly when you could get soda for free literally everywhere else on-board.

The candy counter I can agree with... that's a standout. The others... they are small group experiences. Alcohol isn't free anywhere on the boat, why would you expect a small guided experience that includes numerous drinks to be free?

The uncharges are usually minimal amounts and all well worth it from my experience.

There are plenty of adult focused things that are not the food&Beaverage "tastings"

The dcl pros bring their own drink cups so they can have a large soda in the theater filled up stairs :)

peter11435

Rotational dining (at least as we know it) is not going to be around when the new ships come online, at least that's the current planning. As to steaks, they can be hit or miss. Generally, they are fine, but not high caliber. And getting unlimited beverages is a plus, but you are paying for it with the DCL premium. People can -- and often do -- pay more for a 4-night Bahamas cruise on Disney than 7-9-11 nights on other lines to places more exciting than Nassau and Castaway Cay.

But dining will see changes fleetwide when the newest ships debut ...
Any details you can share about what the dining changes will be?

Mike S

http://www./2017/04/photos-new-pate...-based-driving-ride-universal-orlando-resort/
Anybody know what this is for? Looks like Mario kart but the article also says it could be for a few other things.
The insiders over on Orlando United have said it indeed is Mario Kart because one aspect of the patent is exactly what they heard about the ride. The didn't specify though.

I posted this here before and it was promptly ignored. Don't know why as it looks incredible.

That article is a bit misleading as the patent itself describes the projection tunnels as transitions, not the whole ride.

Quinnmac000

The insiders over on Orlando United have said it indeed is Mario Kart because one aspect of the patent is exactly what they heard about the ride. The didn't specify though.

I posted this here before and it was promptly ignored. Don't know why as it looks incredible.

Essentially it can be used for many rides...the patent itself is for tunnels to produce the feeling and illusion of speed for stationary and slow moving vehicles which hits on many racing systems to come including F&F for beijing to reduce the size of an attraction.

Disney Analyst

Still trying to understand Julie Taymour being a Disney legend. If anything, outside of Lion King using puppetry, she has been been bad for theatre in general and lets not forget she produced the most expensive and one of the biggest money losing experiences for Marvel with Spiderman:Turn Off the Dark.

That's a load of crap. She's incredibly talented, creative, and is the director of one of the biggest shows ever on Broadway.

Quinnmac000

That's a load of crap. She's incredibly talented, creative, and is the director of one of the biggest shows ever on Broadway.

Wow she directed one big show. Outside of Lion King, what has she done that was overly successful with the exception of Frida? Spiderman: Turn off the dark ended up with many actors injured, deaths of crew, and her being fired because people stopped wanting seeing the show and the producers were losing money. Do you call that succeeding as a director? Across the Universe missed estimates. Is she creative? Sure but so was Paul Pressler and people got hurt on his watch.

HMF

Wow she directed one big show. Outside of Lion King, what has she done that was overly successful with the exception of Frida? Spiderman: Turn off the dark ended up with many actors injured, deaths of crew, and her being fired because people stopped wanting seeing the show and the producers were losing money. Do you call that succeeding as a director? Across the Universe missed estimates. Is she creative? Sure but so was Paul Pressler and people got hurt on his watch.
Equating Julie Taymor with Paul Pressler is an insult.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
I am sure Spirit will love this but some of the fabulous members of the Disney community have created a PAID FOR subscription that costs $10 a month for Disney content. It's called Disflix.... How long before Disney and/or Netflix step in. Please people do not give them the light of day.

I'd give it days, if not hours, until it's shut down.

Now, as an April Fool's joke, it's good. Outside of that day... What were the people who started it smoking?

Disney Analyst

I do believe it's heavily reported that the producers were the biggest cause of issues when it came to Spider Man, and I do not think it's fair to put the blame squarely on her shoulders for everything that went wrong. But we all have artistic success and failures, and that shouldn't dictate our legacy.

She is an incredible director and artist, to discount her abilities is ludicrous. Yes, she directed one big show, one mammoth show. A show every other show wishes they could be for the sheer success. It is the highest grossing musical in history at 6+billion worldwide, even beating out phantom. That alone is worth a Disney legend award, lest we forget her creative direction of the show, her gorgeous animal designs and masks. She's the first women to ever win a tony award for best director for crying out loud.

Then there's films like Titus, Frida, And Across the Universe, which were received well.

Clearly you have a stick up your you know what about Julie, but she's had a career many of us would only dream of, and she charted the course for making Disney successful on broadway.

Last edited:

the.dreamfinder

Portfolio Review:
Karl Simon Gustafsson- Beauty and the Beast (2017)

As someone who is generally not a fan of the overdetailed, hyperrealistic production designs that plague many of Disney's live action remakes, BatB 2017's production design is that yet feels absoletely appropriate for this film. Animated by director Bill Condon's decision to set the remake during a specific time period, mid 18th century France, the designs capture both the contrasts of the quiet little village to the oppulance of gilded royalty and the inherent, unabashedly boastful beauty of the later's aesthetic, even in its cursed state.
http://karlsimon.com/beauty & the beast.html
246A42AF-1EA8-4537-A070-24C846DB9877.jpg

Beauty-and-the-Beast-Concept-Art-Disney-Karlsimon-Beast_lair_04_L-680x289.jpeg

Beauty-and-the-Beast-Concept-Art-Disney-Karlsimon-Ballroom_magic_02_L-680x289.jpeg

220C2C4E-B19A-4346-B4D4-949F412C22D2.jpg

Lou Romano- "The Shadow King" (Cancelled)
Last fall Disney-Pixar let artists who worked on Henry Selick's "The Shadow King" share their work online for the first time. I linked to some of that art on another thread here, but I didn't know Lou Romano ("The Incredibles", "Up") had posted a ton of his work as production designer. He also shows sets and a colorscript created for shooting test footage.
http://louromano.blogspot.com/2017/02/the-shadow-king.html
IMG_2798.JPG

IMG_2799.JPG

IMG_2800.JPG

IMG_2802.JPG

IMG_2797.JPG

IMG_2801.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_2789.JPG
    IMG_2789.JPG
    26.5 KB · Views: 53
Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom