A Spirited Perfect Ten

FigmentForver96

Interesting. Tons of stuff we already have in the parks it seems (star wars launch bay, some sort of marvel universe HQ, Frozen sing along)

Strange having tomorrowland on the wrong side haha.

From attractions it seems we have:

Fantasia Carousel
Dumbo
Jetpacks
Buzz Lightyear
Stich Encounter
Tron Light-cycles
Mine Train
Peter Pan
Winnie The Pooh
HoneyPot Spin
Crystal Grotto Voyage
Once Upon a Time Adventure (walk through?)
Alice maze (Walk through)
River Rapids
Soarin
Canoes
and Pirates

Then some other experiences I don't quite know what they are.. A stunt Show... a ship to explore?

Not the worst list of opening day attractions.
No actually it is not bad at all if that is the opening day list. Definitely compared to a park like Hong Kong Disneyland.

Disney Analyst

No actually it is not bad at all if that is the opening day list. Definitely compared to a park like Hong Kong Disneyland.

The thing I never realized until now was the lack of a railroad and train... That's a huge change from Walt's classic Castle Park... I know this park was always destined to be a different, a new take on the Magic Kingdom style parks.... But that just.. well.. sucks.

Maybe Disney doesn't like the railroads when it comes to future expansion?

hpyhnt 1000

For giggles, here is a quick overlay of the park map from the website on top of a (unfortunately) grainy Google Earth image. Gives a sense of the park's boundaries and where it could be pushed for any expansions.

Screen Shot 2016-01-13 at 3.38.34 PM.png

Quinnmac000

Time Warner (Warner Brothers, HBO, ETC) is up for sell, it seems....Fox already said they weren't going to be, VIACOM also doesn't seem to be in play so I wonder if Iger is going to try to acquire Warner Bros and get all there DC Comic rights as well.

doctornick

Time Warner (Warner Brothers, HBO, ETC) is up for sell, it seems....Fox already said they weren't going to be, VIACOM also doesn't seem to be in play so I wonder if Iger is going to try to acquire Warner Bros and get all there DC Comic rights as well.

HBO seems to be the big prize and I don't think Disney has any premium channels like that, do they? So, I could see that as being of interest to Disney. Maybe the same with CNN, since Disney doesn't have a news channel among their cable offerings.

Quinnmac000

HBO seems to be the big prize and I don't think Disney has any premium channels like that, do they? So, I could see that as being of interest to Disney. Maybe the same with CNN, since Disney doesn't have a news channel among their cable offerings.

They had a deal with Starz but that expired.

tirian

Good point, considering the Epcot Wand and BAH at DHS.

The ever so slight silver lining is that today's WDC is better than the late 90's/early 2000's. Sure it's a garish mish-mash of architecture that doesn't belong together - which is ironically fairly representative of today's China, actually...

But at least it's newly designed for China and not the lazy copy and paste job HKDL received.

I do still think it's going to work slightly better finished, but it's not the prettiest by far.

seascape

I could see Comcast buying Time Warner.
I can't see either Comcast or Disney buying all of TWX. However it would be possible for the two companies to work together and buy it and split it up. I do think both companies will buy something else soon since china is making more moves in the Movie business.

WDW1974

Original Poster
You are all welcome! I finally caved and made alternative plans 4 days ago, hence the sudden announcement of SDL. I can't complain though as I didn't really want to go to the opening originally and all this chatter of how unready it will be supports that. Plus I got a killer deal on an Eastern Med/Greece/Adriatic cruise.

@WDWFigment please take lovely pictures for me!

The trade off for a June opening is not the heat but the best chance at having clear skies. That's very, very important. They need to optimize the chances the park isn't overburdened with smog opening day.

I'm going to DLP tomorrow (Thursday). My only experience with the place was summer 2013, which I've said before was (apart from being in a new Disney park) a somewhat less than ideal -> miserable experience. I do want to hear your notes on Europa Park @WDW1974.

For all the hatred of flex pricing it's sure working out ok for me in DLP. Pleasantly surprised a one day park hopper is only 47 euro!

I don't know if Tom is heading to the opening or not. My guess is that if Disney guarantees him entry and access to take pics at all hours (something they do not control) then he will, otherwise he will wait until everything is open. Something I'm likely to do, unless some miracles happen and things suddenly get done. As for clear skies, I am not worried about that in the least. The government will assure it, much like they did for the Beijing Olympiad.

I know you likely won't see this until you visit DLP, but I wouldn't expect much. The entire Rivers are closed and drained (thankfully, they aren't being filled in for Star Wars attractions) and BTM is down until 2017. No RR as well. And I believe Peter Pan closed after our visit for its major rehab. In WDSP, the tram tour is down and I believe RnRC was slated to close this week for a rehab (needed based on audio issues we experienced). You will get 47€ worth of entertainment, though. But when we went we had Pan and RnRC and lots of extra Christmas entertainment. I would just keep expectations in check as this is their slowest season and they are doing massive work to get the park in shape because ... well, because Disney finally owns the vast majority and has all the control and so they won't let it rot away any longer (you may recall that I predicted this was what would happen at least 2-3 years ago).

Small World looks amazing right now after its rebuild. Phantom Manor is in very good shape. Pirates is OK. Space Mtn and Star Tours are very rough right now. Space Mountain does look great with work done on the outside, even smoke is back on the cannon. But inside ...well, it needs a new track, but will get new trains in early '17.

Oh, if you're going you'll also experience a real semi-annual sale with merchandise (and not out of season or crap) for 50% and 70% off depending on the item. We did a lot of shopping since 'Angie' isn't simply an important high level German official, but she also is a member of the Shareholder's Club, which made those discounts 65% and 85%, respectively. It's great when you buy pins, for example, for what they are worth (€1.70).

As to Europa thoughts, if I have time, then I'll put stuff up. But I would advise anyone who is a fan of well run and maintained theme and AMUSEMENT parks and not simply a DIS or UNI BRAND addict to pay it a visit. You also have the natural beauty of the Black Forest region there as well. EP is a fun, wild and wacky place and if I were Disney I would be concerned that there is a sleeping dragon just hours away from DLP by high-speed ICE/TGV trains. They already have five or six (forget right now) great themed resort hotels with food that is to die for ... and a water park is on the way in the next few years.

WDW1974

Original Poster
June 16 is an incredibly ballsy day for the grand opening of Shanghai Disney Resort. IAAPA's Asian Attractions Expo 2016 is June 13-16 in Shanghai. While a Disney park is inherently a big event, this helps ensure that those who will take note of issues will be around.

I was wondering when someone was going to notice that and comment. The CCP is looking to showcase its Disney resort, but how much of it will be up and running is another matter. I'd say at this point, we can count on Roaring Rapids being done. And sure looks like Tron will be too. And a spinner or two ... otherwise?

BTW, since I do like to set the record straight and Jesus forbid I actually edit a post, I did want to say I received updated intel on how the release went down. The story was leaked to the WSJ, but not by Zenia as I posted, but by the Chinese. TWDC actually had to scramble to get an announcement out after the Journal ran with it... and you can tell by the reused quotes that Bob and Co. were afraid of saying anything that hadn't been approved of in Shanghai.

Goofyernmost

The thing I never realized until now was the lack of a railroad and train... That's a huge change from Walt's classic Castle Park... I know this park was always destined to be a different, a new take on the Magic Kingdom style parks.... But that just.. well.. sucks.

Maybe Disney doesn't like the railroads when it comes to future expansion?
Disneyland Paris doesn't have the train either, so nothing new there.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Only in the realms of Cable, which is why the deal broke with the Comcast and Time Warner Cable deal. (TWC is not TWX) In the entertainment realm they are allowed to merge as it won't create an monopoly.

It still leaves Disney with a structural problem, Their major competitors have both Content AND Distribution and by that I mean both linear TV and Internet service. Comcast could lose all their cable subs tomorrow and they would STILL have a great business providing voice and IP dialtone to the cord cutters. (IP as in TCP/IP)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom