A Spirited Perfect Ten

Goofyernmost

Wikkler

I think in Tokyo the train doesn't go around the perimeter of the park but just 1 or 2 lands, that's may be what caused some confusion.
upload_2016-1-13_19-46-20.png

Correct. It's a round trip departing from Adventureland, going through Westernland, Critter Country, and back, with no stops. (It's more similar to the PeopleMover.)

gonzoWDW

According to this article ESPN is way overvalued in the marketplace and trouble lies ahead. Basically their revenue model is unsustainable in the changing times.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/report-shows-espn-trouble-2-180012377.html

I was gonna post a reply about how I'm willing to bet that ESPN will be okay so long as they keep selling ads, since one would assume that is the major driver of their revenue, whether online or on TV, but then I did some research. After looking at this somewhat outdated but probably still relevant pic (Source: the Atlantic, June, 2013)
Screen Shot 2013-06-28 at 11.58.05 AM.png

I realized ESPN is in some actual trouble with cord cutters. As a note, digital and TV ads are probably larger pieces of the current pie. Regardless, having two thirds of your revenue in what is expected to be a shrinking resource is worrisome.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-06-28 at 11.58.05 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-06-28 at 11.58.05 AM.png
    73.2 KB · Views: 57

doctornick

I was gonna post a reply about how I'm willing to bet that ESPN will be okay so long as they keep selling ads, since one would assume that is the major driver of their revenue, whether online or on TV, but then I did some research. After looking at this somewhat outdated but probably still relevant pic (Source: the Atlantic, June, 2013)
View attachment 126279

I realized ESPN is in some actual trouble with cord cutters. As a note, digital and TV ads are probably larger pieces of the current pie. Regardless, having two thirds of your revenue in what is expected to be a shrinking resource is worrisome.

Here's the thing about the doom and gloom regarding ESPN... It absolutely is losing customers and, with that, revenue. As cord cutting accelerates, it will need to evolve and provide more direct to consumer business instead of being part of cable/satellite bundles. It's inevitable that subscription revenues will drop and, since viewship levels will drop as well, advertising revenue will also decrease. That's bad, of course, for ESPN and Disney.

But you also have to account for the starting point. IIRC the profits from ESPN in past recent years was something like $4-5 billion annually. The network has been so ridiculously profitable that it can withstand a substantial loss of revenue and still have positive cash flow. And while the broadcast rights they own are very costly, they are also very diverse and popular -- people want to watch live sports (and advertisers want to get their commercials on during live sports) and will pay for it. There sure to be some magic package that can be sold to consumers -- maybe it's not a straight ESPN steaming; maybe they'd do better selling a "college sports" package or "football" package.

We'll see what the future holds. I can understand Wall Street panicking because ESPN made up such a huge chunk of Disney's annual profits and that looks to be significantly shrunk in the future. That doesn't mean that ESPN is suddenly worthless or an anchor.

WDWdream97

I know you likely won't see this until you visit DLP, but I wouldn't expect much. The entire Rivers are closed and drained (thankfully, they aren't being filled in for Star Wars attractions) and BTM is down until 2017. No RR as well. And I believe Peter Pan closed after our visit for its major rehab. In WDSP, the tram tour is down and I believe RnRC was slated to close this week for a rehab (needed based on audio issues we experienced). You will get 47€ worth of entertainment, though. But when we went we had Pan and RnRC and lots of extra Christmas entertainment. I would just keep expectations in check as this is their slowest season and they are doing massive work to get the park in shape because ... well, because Disney finally owns the vast majority and has all the control and so they won't let it rot away any longer (you may recall that I predicted this was what would happen at least 2-3 years ago).

So Disney essentially neglected DLP when it was in need, so that S.C.A. would get so bad it would be forced to sell shares to Disney?

ParentsOf4

So Disney essentially neglected DLP when it was in need, so that S.C.A. would get so bad it would be forced to sell shares to Disney?
Disney wasn't going to invest large sums of money into a project until Disney could reap proportional benefit from that investment.

The Walt Disney Company was looking out for The Walt Disney Company shareholders, not Euro Disney shareholders.

lazyboy97o

They also had to make sure the political climate was so that there would not be backlash. Disney was initially pushed to only ever hold a minority stake in Euro Disney SCA due to protectionist sentiments.

PhotoDave219

View attachment 126279

If they can recapture the cord cutters with their own Standalone Streaming Service (ala WatchESPN for ALL THE PEOPLES), then they should be fine. Except tcan they get the same amount of money per person as they do now?

culturenthrills

The Current NFL Contract (7 years, 2014-2021) breaks down like this:

• CBS - $1B for the AFC Package + $275M for airing NFL Network Games on Thursdays for weeks 2-8 (2014-15 only)
  • FOX - $1.1B for the NFC Package.
  • NBC - $950M for Sunday Night Football
  • ESPN - $1.9B for Monday Night Football. (The hell?! Holy Overpaid! - ed)
  • The NFL Network doesn't pay anything for Thursday Night Football.
CBS has the Super Bowl in 16, 19, 22.
FOX has the Super Bowl in 17, 20, 23.
NBC has the Super Bowl in 18, 21.

Did ESPN overpay for the rights? Dear lord it looks that way.....

Boy ESPN has really screwed Disney by overpaying for the NFL, NBA and the CFB playoffs. Who made these decisions because they just look idiotic now. Just crazy.

Iwerks64

Well, that is technically still a spring opening. :rolleyes:

Story in yesterday's South China Morning Post (I'm in Hong Kong again), talked about the June 16th date, but the main gist of the article is that the Shanghai park is 3 times the size of HKDL and that ticket prices will be significantly cheaper. Shanghai DL tickets will be 300-400 rmb ($45-$60 USD) while HKDL is 539 HOng Kong dollars (~$70 USD).

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom