A Spirited Perfect Ten

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Boy ESPN has really screwed Disney by overpaying for the NFL, NBA and the CFB playoffs. Who made these decisions because they just look idiotic now. Just crazy.

Iger made those decisions, yes others may have advised him but the ultimate decision was his, Those decisions are crazy NOW and they were crazy then, Iger just assumed he could keep pushing those costs to the cable subs. The prices he paid for those events were driven by his ego not any realistic analysis of the value of those events to advertisers.

MNF - up here even the bars don't push it any longer because few watch MNF especially since Hank Williams Jr was booted.

Iger keeps conflating BRAND vs CONTENT, People don't watch ESPN because it's ESPN they watch the CONTENT, But Iger thinks they watch because it's ESPN and he can keep cutting back content and people will STILL watch, Same holds true for the Disney parks,

Over the past few years much has been subtracted from the resort experience while prices were increased because Iger thinks people visit WDW because it's DISNEY not for the EXPERIENCES one has at DISNEY.

Right now both ESPN and P&R are operating on inertia and ESPN is already beginning a downward trajectory and losing eyeballs to the new sports networks who are focusing on CONTENT vs branding.

Look what happened to Iger when he had to compete on the LA football which was to be the home of all things NFL, His lack of vision and creativity had his ownership group beaten like a drum by a far more visionary competitor.

gmajew

Premium Member
Is anyone REALLY surprised by the outcome here,

Iger's preso.. Dear investors this is NFL football we'll buy stuff jack up prices and demand concessions from the City not to mention bring in H2B workers for the concession stands to drive down local wages and make lots of dosh because people must have their NFL fix at any price.

I suspect the other preso was a bit more nuanced and focused on benefits to the host city plus job creation etc.

Except the committee voted for his presentation. Then in the big owner vote it went the other way!

So maybe get your facts straight... sounds like a back room deal happened after the committee recommended the Rams stadium deal.

gmajew

Premium Member
MNF - up here even the bars don't push it any longer because few watch MNF especially since Hank Williams Jr was booted.

Bars don't push either really as Sunday nights are hard as no one wants to go out before work on Monday. Monday night games are horrible and just another game. So no reason to push it.

If ESPN was smart they would force the NFL to make it a prime game again and give them some flex to change the schedule and pick games that actually matter again.

gonzoWDW

If they can recapture the cord cutters with their own Standalone Streaming Service (ala WatchESPN for ALL THE PEOPLES), then they should be fine. Except tcan they get the same amount of money per person as they do now?

But there's no way they recapture all those cord cutters. For example, my girlfriend would never spend a dime on ESPN if she ditched cable, so they wouldn't recapture her. So they're going to have to jack up the price (compared to cable sub fees) to account for the loss of people like her, and the Netflix style moochers who won't pay for, but still use, the service.

Let's say they can recapture 60% of cord cutters through their service. The cost for the standalone service will need to be 67% higher than cable sub fees to keep that piece of the revenue pie from shrinking. We all know WS doesn't like shrinking revenue.

PhotoDave219

But there's no way they recapture all those cord cutters. For example, my girlfriend would never spend a dime on ESPN if she ditched cable, so they wouldn't recapture her. So they're going to have to jack up the price (compared to cable sub fees) to account for the loss of people like her, and the Netflix style moochers who won't pay for, but still use, the service.

Let's say they can recapture 60% of cord cutters through their service. The cost for the standalone service will need to be 67% higher than cable sub fees to keep that piece of the revenue pie from shrinking. We all know WS doesn't like shrinking revenue.

Wall Street can ___________.

(madLibs style)

the.dreamfinder

image.jpeg

#TheDisneyDifference

Travel Junkie

Except the committee voted for his presentation. Then in the big owner vote it went the other way!

So maybe get your facts straight... sounds like a back room deal happened after the committee recommended the Rams stadium deal.

The committee chair was the one who personally brought Iger onto the Caron project. The committee was always going for the Carson project over the Rams. There was all kinds of corporate boardroom politics at play all over. Insiders were predicting pretty early on it was always going to the Rams way because they had the better project that would make the league more money.

I wouldn't blame Iger for this at all unless you count betting on the wrong horse.

tokengator

Isner just took it on the chin.

The NFL teams Raiders/Chargers hired Isner to manage their plan/pitch to the NFL for a move to the LA area. There was even several puff pieces in the media about how much of an impact Isner will make for the two teams pitch and how influential he is-- yesterday the NFL owners chose the Rams for the move to LA over the Raiders/Chargers.

Now Raiders are considering San Antonio, lol

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Bars don't push either really as Sunday nights are hard as no one wants to go out before work on Monday. Monday night games are horrible and just another game. So no reason to push it.

If ESPN was smart they would force the NFL to make it a prime game again and give them some flex to change the schedule and pick games that actually matter again.

You perhaps noticed all the OTHER networks paid around 1 Billion each for their rights and got 2-3 Superbowls as part of their deal, Disney/ESPN paid 1.9 Billion and got NO SUPERBOWL rights for the crappiest NFL games of the week. More of that business acumen which Iger displays constantly.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon

Based on MY circle of friends about 25-30% of them are willing to PAY for sports content. I think a standalone revenue neutral model for ESPN is going to be at least 19.95/month

Cesar R M

Story in yesterday's South China Morning Post (I'm in Hong Kong again), talked about the June 16th date, but the main gist of the article is that the Shanghai park is 3 times the size of HKDL and that ticket prices will be significantly cheaper. Shanghai DL tickets will be 300-400 rmb ($45-$60 USD) while HKDL is 539 HOng Kong dollars (~$70 USD).
wouldn't that mean that hongkong's disneyland will lose a lot of visitors ?
It would be hilarious if its a trick to put pressure on hong kong by the Chinese gov.

doctornick

wouldn't that mean that hongkong's disneyland will lose a lot of visitors ?
It would be hilarious if its a trick to put pressure on hong kong by the Chinese gov.

Hong Kong and Shanghai are not very close to each other. While certainly there might be some impact on Hong Kong with SDL opening, it's likely that the potential visitor pool is fairly distinct as is the case with DL and WDW.

AEfx

Mad Max Fury Road
The Revenant
The Danish Girl
Room
Spotlght
The Martian
Inside out
Star Wars
The Hateful Eight
Etc, Etc, Etc....

You may have not liked all those films but hard to say it was a crap year.

Yes, as I figured, someone would contradict the statement without really thinking about it or understanding what I was saying.

As I said, there were a few exceptions, and some audience pleasers - but overall - there just were not a large quantity of quality films this year. I mean, 3 out of the first 4 films you listed were virtually unknown until the Golden Globes. The Martian is an outlier - one of the few good and original films. The last 3 you list are "audience pleasers" that I mentioned.

It's not that there wasn't anything good - it's that it simply was a crappy year overall for films, particularly when you have an awards show like the Globes which is known for leaning toward popular films/well-established actors yet 4 out of 5 Best Actress nominees were complete unknowns.

rael ramone

Here's the thing about the doom and gloom regarding ESPN... It absolutely is losing customers and, with that, revenue. As cord cutting accelerates, it will need to evolve and provide more direct to consumer business instead of being part of cable/satellite bundles. It's inevitable that subscription revenues will drop and, since viewship levels will drop as well, advertising revenue will also decrease. That's bad, of course, for ESPN and Disney.

But you also have to account for the starting point. IIRC the profits from ESPN in past recent years was something like $4-5 billion annually. The network has been so ridiculously profitable that it can withstand a substantial loss of revenue and still have positive cash flow. And while the broadcast rights they own are very costly, they are also very diverse and popular -- people want to watch live sports (and advertisers want to get their commercials on during live sports) and will pay for it. There sure to be some magic package that can be sold to consumers -- maybe it's not a straight ESPN steaming; maybe they'd do better selling a "college sports" package or "football" package.

We'll see what the future holds. I can understand Wall Street panicking because ESPN made up such a huge chunk of Disney's annual profits and that looks to be significantly shrunk in the future. That doesn't mean that ESPN is suddenly worthless or an anchor.

The Street demands growth, not mere profits. The Street believes that growth can't be had when you're largest source of revenue is both shrinking and it's most dependable source (the $6.60 that everyone who has cable pays whether they watch ESPN or not) is at risk. Then that makes the Street dig further and see that they are the pigeon at the poker table when it comes to paying for sports fees/content.

JediMasterMatt

We just returned from a very wet (but wonderful) week in Anaheim. It was bittersweet saying adieu to our old friend the River; but, I did feel better when a friend of ours showed us the soon-to-be released concept art. I'm not worried at all about having a eyesore left where the mighty River once flowed. A different friend also showed me some different art on their phone that makes me even more excited by what will be on the other side of the new berm once it's finished. We can argue all we want about SWL and where it will be placed; but, when complete - we will all be in agreement that for the first time since Carsland, Disney Park will be flexing muscles they haven't used in quite a long while. The only concerns I have now about SWL at DL and DHS will be that they will bring in far more people than they can natively support. Capacity will always be an issue. Attraction capacity more at DHS and real estate capacity at DL.

I'm still hearing that the Canoes are likely not returning. There's always hope as the official word is still that they are... but, in these days - you can't really trust the official sources.

I've also heard; but, not confirmed, that the days of both the Twain and Columbia being on circuit at the same time may be over. Some in park Cast have even heard the rumor that the Columbia will be relegated to dry dock duty only. My friends with the artwork weren't sure either way. Until we see both boats on track at the same time, we may not be sure. It will likely come down to cycle times and how quickly they can load/unload and if it makes sense with the reduced cycle times of the shortened River.

The above is part of reason why Fantasmic when it returns may be very different. That along with the lack of space that will be out of view to hide/load/park the boats and rafts.

The biggest short term loss to the daily operations of DL that not many are talking about will be the closure of the Big Thunder Trail between Frontierland and Fantasyland. This will effectively lock in Fantasyland during parades and fireworks. I've heard what some of the planned crowd flow patterns they are going to attempt and I feel very badly for all of my Guest Service Operations friends until a new artery is opened. Those parade cross overs will be getting a workout.

This trip was our first time to DLR during the Holiday Season after many WDW trips. While I have to admit that I do like Mickey's Very Merry Xmas Party (especially the parade), DLR does the Holidays better overall. Decoration wise, they both have great moments; but, the seasonal overlays to iasm and HM really shine. I have to admit... I laughed out loud to Jingle Shells.

On a personal note, the rains last week delivered on to me my "grail" Disneyland photography moment. A wet Castle forecourt with my 14mm lens parked at the Southern point of the compass for Disneyland Forever. I haven't started developing anything yet; but, the quick review of the reflections in Lightroom already look spectacular.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom