A Spirited Perfect Ten

BrerJon

I have to say. I believe WDW's capacity issues are greatly exaggerated. I just walked through AKL lobby. And it was a ghost town.

It's just Magic Kingdom and DHS. MK is actively unpleasant to visit now, and DHS is just too crowded because there are so few attractions in too small a space - and that contributes to MK's problems as people go to where the rides are. But everywhere else is fine.

All they need to do is apply the same technique they used with Fastpass to spread people out across property, get even crowds at all four parks, and crowds would seem like the 1980s again. But that would require new attractions.

Mike S

It's more complicated than that, but essentially although Sony still has the rights, they've pretty much conceded they don't know what they're doing so are now happy to let Marvel call the shots, Sony just makes the pictures. It's why we're getting Spider-Man in Civil War, his own movie, and he's in Infinity War too.
He was also mentioned in Ant-Man, I think it was the post-credits scene. "We have a guy that crawls up walls." Indeed you do Marvel. Indeed you do ;)

Last edited:

Flippin'Flounder

I just returned from seeing it. IT was awesome. The most lighthearted and funnier Marvel movie yet.
Id say its a combination of Guardians of the Galaxy comedy style with Iron man.

Not to mention the introduction of a few ideas for next movies.
Specially loved the reveal in the after-credits scene.

The only bad?
I REALLY HATE THAT DUMB "I'm a badass CEO WOMAN" haircut.
We seen it in Jurassic World, now on Ant Man.

Also..
Marvel really loves to portray the bad guys as BALD business men.

I mean, Iron Man's excellent Jeff Bridgeas as Obadiah Stane.. then another bald one on the third movie in the fake Mandarin.
We see a Balding CEO again with YellowJacket.
And pretty sure we seen some lesser villain commanders that are bald(in other marvel movies, like in the new avengers).

*edit*
also loved the Wasp references.
In regards to your spoiler
Kingpin/Wilson Fisk is also bald

RSoxNo1

Going to see it this week. Hope it is as good as some say. I don't give two vinylmations about any Phase crap ... that's all Kevin Feige and his ego and masterplan for 126 films, which will totally die when Marvel has two films that bomb and whomever the Disney CEO is says 'let's reboot Spiderman again'' ... yep.
I enjoyed it, it's definitely light hearted and Paul Rudd was great. The spoiler alert below is a minor one, but it points to something you complain about a lot with super hero movies.
It definitely does not follow the mold of destroy a city as the climax.

RSoxNo1

Back to theme parks and commentary. The guys over at Mouse Rants did a rather amusing (and rather vulgar) Frozen musical parody. They took the songs from Frozen as well as many originals and used them to tell a faux story about the choices being made in the parks around the Frozen property.

I reiterate, due to language this is NSFW.

http://mouserantspodcast.blogspot.com/2015/07/episode-34-mouse-rants-frozen.html

Captain Neo

It's more complicated than that, but essentially although Sony still has the rights, they've pretty much conceded they don't know what they're doing so are now happy to let Marvel call the shots, Sony just makes the pictures. It's why we're getting Spider-Man in Civil War, his own movie, and he's in Infinity War too.

It's not more complicated than that. Sony owns the film rights. Period. So wdw1974s statement is factually incorrect.

What has happened is that Sony and Disney have formed a mutually beneficial partnership (something they have been in talks about since the first amazing spider-man was in development). As a result of the deal Sony gets access to marvels talent and Disney can use spider man to boost the appeal of their films. It's cross promotion in an attempt to drive merchandising sales (which Disney owns 100%) and Sony gets to name drop iron man in a more MCU ish spider man film which will hopefully drive box office sales (which Sony owns). Neither company is doing this because some people thought previous spider man films werent good. This isn't some kind of passion project.

Katie G

I think we wouldnt have anywhere near the alcohol problem if they blocked out maingates at Epcot. I cannot believe how many UCF students are there on the weekends.

Last year, EPCOT was blocked out for Saturdays which was a pain. But Cast ID will still get you in.

After all your blockout research, you want to blockout MORE?

Katie G

I would amend to mostly chain restaurants. There are a lot of places around that are great eating... You just need to figure out where they are :)
Oh and if you look hard enough there at good pizza places...
But generally yeah.. Mostly chain restaurants.

I really enjoy Josie's Pizza in MetroWest. A 20-minute drive outside of the I-drive corridor but totally worth it. Best NY Style pizza in CFL IMO and some amazing buffalo wings.

Katie G

Yes, for all the talk about how insanely busy O-Town parks are, barely 48 hours goes by without Disney trying to get me to stay at the All Star Music for $107 or UNI offering up Portofino Bay for $144 or Hilton offering me the Waldorf Astoria for $179. You can figure out for yourself what the values are in the above sentence and what that means about business in O-Town

While you are calculating the value for the prices at each of those locations and determining that All Star isn't worth it for you, from a revenue management perspective, this says to me that Disney doesn't need much help to fill their room so they don't need to discount as much. Portofino and Waldorf are gorgeous and that is a great deal. But since they need to discount so much to fill those rooms, clearly All Star is providing an additional benefit to people (location). Also keep in mind that additional fees like parking, resort fee, wifi sometimes are not included in the rates from many hotels but are included in Disney resort rates. Though I'm still shocked that Portofino is so low given the Express Pass benefit.

Cesar R M

He was also mentioned in Ant-Man, I think it was the post-credits scene. "We have a guy that crawls up walls." Indeed you do Marvel. Indeed you do ;)
AGREE, he mentioned many powered guys.. including him.

Also, has a Mexican.. I can relate to these hilarious storytelling of Louis.
The type of stories that are like "my cousin who knew this guy who knew that guy who worked for X guy.." are soo true XD

PhotoDave219

While you are calculating the value for the prices at each of those locations and determining that All Star isn't worth it for you, from a revenue management perspective, this says to me that Disney doesn't need much help to fill their room so they don't need to discount as much. Portofino and Waldorf are gorgeous and that is a great deal. But since they need to discount so much to fill those rooms, clearly All Star is providing an additional benefit to people (location). Also keep in mind that additional fees like parking, resort fee, wifi sometimes are not included in the rates from many hotels but are included in Disney resort rates. Though I'm still shocked that Portofino is so low given the Express Pass benefit.

For me, Its personal preference and what I'm willing to pay.

The first rate I got at POP in Jan 2004, 39/nite. (CM rate). I look at a value room and expect a value price and for me, value is 50-75/night. Moderate? Maybe 150.

Similarly, deluxe? What I find in a Disney Deluxe room is for me, a 150-200/night room just for amenities. If I'm being charged 400-500 night, It better be a full on, high end suite with 24 hour personal concierge.

Cesar R M

The Disney Tax helps too.
Unlike the Waldorf and Portofino.. they are not "Disney".
Therefore.. they do not have the "appeal" for those who seem to want "full immersion" for their precious.

mahnamahna101

It's just Magic Kingdom and DHS. MK is actively unpleasant to visit now, and DHS is just too crowded because there are so few attractions in too small a space - and that contributes to MK's problems as people go to where the rides are. But everywhere else is fine.

All they need to do is apply the same technique they used with Fastpass to spread people out across property, get even crowds at all four parks, and crowds would seem like the 1980s again. But that would require new attractions.
Well New Frontierland, an overhaul for Imagination, Pandora and the DHS makeover would be a vast improvement. Imagination is a waste of capacity currently, while the other 3 will hopefully drastically increase their respective parks' total capacities. The 2020s will be much better for WDW if all 4 of those happen.

Future World and Tomorrowland will still need some help, though. And AK could use some love for Everest and Dinoland. But things will be much better by the 50th... at least I hope

Animaniac93-98

I look at a value room and expect a value price and for me, value is 50-75/night. Moderate? Maybe 150.

It's the same for me. Two years ago I paid $86/night to stay at POP and last year I paid $136/night to stay at POFQ. Both were at the top end of what I was willing to pay for what I got, but both were standard view / value season + room-only discount rates.

WDW hotel rooms are now overpriced no matter what category or season you pick, or discount you get.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom