A Spirited Perfect Ten

brb1006

Yes, September the 2nd Series of the 'Figment' comic will hit the stands.
Fans are pretty pumped....not to mention some other folks closely connected to these beloved characters from waaay back....
;)

Cover artwork for the 1st issue in the second series -

They need to sell these inside the Imagination Pavilion or anywhere in Epcot or WDW.

Mike S

Wonderful to hear Billy Barty there, performing the voice of the Original, real, 'Figment' once again.
Thanks for sharing this here!

:)
Got a picture of his star on the walk of fame specifically for the fact he was Figment :)
image.jpg

brb1006

They have been seen at the gift shop at the Contemporary Resort, and i saw an issue for sale at 'Off The Page' inside Disney's California Adventure of all places.
I wonder if anyone who lived in California who visits Disneyland would recognize who those two are? especially since Figment and Dreamfinder are only found in WDW in Florida.

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
So is Bob too good to show up for the Disneyland 60th ceremony? Baxter, sklar, Gurr, Colgaizer, Sherman were there but no Bob. Also Disneyland is using the magic eye theater as a Cupcake giveaway center today.
Giving away as free? Or included with your extra ticketed purchase.

Figments Friend

Here's a meet and greet video of Figzilla meeting a girl. He looks terrifying
!

There is a part of me that feels very melancholy when i look at something like this video and realize that today's kids are totally missing out on the wonder and inspiration that used to be present at the Imagination Pavilion.

Instead of greeting a giant 'stuffed toy'...in what was once a lively, whimsical garden area, outside of a empty Pavilion a shallow shadow of it's former imaginative self, he could be experiencing something truly unique.
Maybe even life changing, like what happened to me.

When i realize that foundation that was once housed in that Pavilion is no longer there for today's kids to get inspired by, my heart cries a little.
These kids will never know the delight, wonder, and sheer magic that was once contained within those glass pyramids.
:(

It is a deep wish that perhaps some day this area will be re-developed and re-imagined into something far more inspiring and befitting of it's greatness from the past.
Something entirely new for today's Guests, but capturing the long missed spirit of creative inspiration that used to be expressed there.

Here's hoping for a better future at the Imagination Pavilion...and EPCOT as a whole.

Last edited:

LondonGopher

I wonder if the Marvel Figment comics have been sold in Epcot or inside the Imagination Pavilion?

My DS (8) was over the moon to buy his Figment comics in the Imagination Pavilion. I then bought the hardcover omnibus at Forbidden Planet (here in London), as his comics are getting rather battered due to re-reading.

I have such wonderful memories of meeting Dreamfinder and Figment...it's good to share (even a small part of) that with my son. :cry:

Figments Friend

Are they selling the hardcover version with every issue yet?

Mike, the hardcover edition came out a few months ago and contains all five issues of the 1st series.
They will likely do a hardcover edition for the upcoming 2nd series, too.

I highly recommend the hardcover, especially if you are a fan of the Original Attraction.
Tony Baxter puts forth a informative forward in the book about how the ride was developed in it's early stages.
There is also a small collection of concept art in the back pages by Tony, Andy Gaskill, and others well worth having printed versions of.

:)

Figments Friend

Got a picture of his star on the walk of fame specifically for the fact he was Figment :)
View attachment 101736

There was a really moving story Tony once told about receiving a letter from a fan who was really inspired by the Original 'Journey Into Imagination' Attraction some years ago.
It was the kind of letter that provoked a heartfelt reaction, and he decided to share the letter with the voice actor who brought that character to life.
So the letter was forwarded to Billy, who at that time may not have been fully aware of how much that Attraction and 'his' character performance within it had been so embraced and loved by the Theme Park going public.

Billy was of course moved as well upon learning of the letter, and commented in later years that he really felt blessed to have been a part of all of that and to have had such a opportunity to inspire future generations through this character.
I believe he even stated it was one of his personal career highlights...voicing that character......but don't quote me on that.
Billy did a LOT of voice work back in the day, and played many on-screen characters...but it makes perfect sense that the one thing he was most proud of being involved in was his work for the EPCOT Center Attraction.

All the more disheartening that the Original Attraction was removed......argh......

Figments Friend

How the hell did we end up on Figment today?

Two weeks before another earnings call.... gonna be a long two weeks.

Sorry Dave....someone had asked about the huge walkaround version of the character, and it kind of went off in a direction.
Blame me if you like, as i started the responses and it kind of grew.

Topic change then, if you like -

So, how about that George Lucas ....going to show up at the D23 Expo to collect his 'Disney Legend' award.
I can see the line of fans starting to form now on Katella Ave this very minute....in preparation for August 14th's ceremony.

No wonder they are allowing 'overnight camping' this year at the Expo....
:eek:

brb1006

Sorry Dave....someone had asked about the huge walkaround version of the character, and it kind of went off in a direction.

Topic change -

So, how about that George Lucas ....going to show up at the D23 Expo to collect his 'Disney Legend' award.
I can see the line of fans starting to form now on Katella Ave this very minute....in preparation for August 14th's ceremony.
I'm still curious about Shangahi Disneyland being brought up in D23. I heard Shangahi is getting a Winnie The Pooh ride but themed similar to the Mad Tea Party rides. I think this might also be the first Disney park to not have the Haunted Mansion attraction. I heard it's due to China's views on Ghosts and the afterlife.

PhotoDave219

Topic change then, if you like -

:eek:

Lucas is getting a Kennedy Center Honor as well. (I think).

Should be pretty interesting.... I wanna go to that,.

Figments Friend

Lucas is getting a Kennedy Center Honor as well. (I think).

Should be pretty interesting.... I wanna go to that,.

I'm going to my first D23 Expo next month...have been thinking about it for some time, and finally decided a couple of months ago to make the arrangements.
The recent announcement of Mr. Lucas being there has me a little concerned....it may draw in insane crowds of fans Friday morning when the 'Legends' ceremony takes place.
Every Star Wars fan within a 500 mile radius is going to want to catch a glimpse of him onstage.

I have pretty much come to the conclusion that my chances of seeing this panel at the Expo is pretty much non-exsistant now.
People will be camping out Thursday night for this, for sure.

Ah well...they can have George.
My interests lie elsewhere.....and in other people who i hope to see there.
;)

asianway

There was a really moving story Tony once told about receiving a letter from a fan who was really inspired by the Original 'Journey Into Imagination' Attraction some years ago.
It was the kind of letter that provoked a heartfelt reaction, and he decided to share the letter with the voice actor who brought that character to life.
So the letter was forwarded to Billy, who at that time may not have been fully aware of how much that Attraction and 'his' character performance within it had been so embraced and loved by the Theme Park going public.

Billy was of course moved as well upon learning of the letter, and commented in later years that he really felt blessed to have been a part of all of that and to have had such a opportunity to inspire future generations through this character.
I believe he even stated it was one of his personal career highlights...voicing that character......but don't quote me on that.
Billy did a LOT of voice work back in the day, and played many on-screen characters...but it makes perfect sense that the one thing he was most proud of being involved in was his work for the EPCOT Center Attraction.

All the more disheartening that the Original Attraction was removed......argh......
Had they included him in the 98 version Billy Barty could have recorded the voice. That's the most sickening part to me

brb1006

I wonder what Baxtar thinks of the current version of the attraction?

Figments Friend

Had they included him in the 98 version Billy Barty could have recorded the voice. That's the most sickening part to me

Agree wholeheartedly.

I'm not sure why he was not asked to be involved in the 98' re-do of the Attraction.
He was still with us then ( he passed on in 2000 ) and he had a personal connection to the character.

I suppose the team tasked with the re-do were focused more on doing a completely different experience, and thus why a need was felt to ditch the characters associated with the Original Attraction.
It was a unforgivable mistake.
The 'updated' Vs 2 eliminated both, and without Figment involved this time around his voice was not needed.
A damn shame, as two years later Billy had passed away and the next re-do of the Attraction did'nt happen until 2002......two years too late!
There's the real rub.....

:oops:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom