A Spirited Perfect Ten

TalkingHead

Didn't Figment do a solo meet and greet outside and inside the Imagination Pavilion at one point when the third version came out in 2002?
6a012876c6c7fb970c01a73de37319970d-320wi

Kill it with fire.

That monstrous thing terrified kids and with good reason.

Figments Friend

Didn't Figment do a solo meet and greet outside and inside the Imagination Pavilion at one point when the third version came out in 2002?
6a012876c6c7fb970c01a73de37319970d-320wi

Yes, they did introduce this large walkaround version of the character in the late 2000s or so, nicknamed *Figzilla* by the fan community.
This huge version just did*nt appeal to Guests...so he was pulled from appearances.

I am referring to the original walkaround version of the character, who appeared *Figment sized* with his creator, a costumed Dreamfinder.
This version was the original playful and impish version of the character beloved by fans.

*Figzilla* was a attempt to appeal to the Meet & Greet demands today*s Guests seem to clamor for.
It backfired a bit, as the folks who could really get excited about meeting this character had a hard time accepting him as a giant, five foot tall monster.
;)

Last edited:

Mike S

Yes, they did introduce this large walkaround version of the character in the late 2000s or so, nicknamed *Figzilla* by the fan community.
This huge version just did*nt appeal to Guests...so he was pulled from appearances.

I am referring to the original walkaround version of the character, who appeared *Figment sized* with his creator, a costumed Dreamfinder.
This version was the original playful and impish version of the character beloved by fans.

*Figzilla* was a attempt to appeal to the Meet & Greet demands today*s Guests seem to clamor for.
It backfired a bit, as the folks who could really get excited about meeting this character had a hard time accepting him as a giant, five foot tall monster.
;)
Funny pic of the original walk around character I have saved.
image.jpg

Figments Friend

How that thing even made it out of the concept stages blows my mind.

Completely agree, but totally understandable when you consider it was likely brainstormed by folks who did'nt fully understand WHY the 'Original' worked so well.
They probably were not even aware of there being a earlier, better version of the JII Attraction or a 'different' Figment for all we know.

It makes a difference when you know your history, and fans would be surprised to learn that a awful lot of people working for the Company today in high positions have very little awareness of their own past.

*Figzilla* was probably put together by people tasked with creating more Meet & Greet experiences, which there seems a great demand for by today's casual visiting Guests.
A costumed version was the more straightforward way to go.

I think most people who are familiar with this character were expecting something a little more pint-sized...something that mirrored the child sized and kid-friendly version of yore.

These two photos sum it up perfectly -

Dreamfinder and his little buddy Figment greet a child in the mid- 80s -

'Figzilla' greets a child in the mid-2000s -

'Figzilla' looks like he is about to grab her and have a light snack.....!
:eek:

Last edited:

brb1006

;)
He looks almost like Barney The Dinosaur minus

Figments Friend

Funny pic of the original walk around character I have saved.
View attachment 101732

Here are some personal favorites from my collection -

Early promotional photo of a alternative Dreamfinder with a prototype 'fabric flocked' version of the Figment carry around.

DreamfinderwithearlyFigmentpuppet_zpsd8170af9.jpg

Fabulous promotional photo showing the two characters, as a photographer grabs a shot from outside the monorail window in the background -

Another publicity photo of Dreamfinder & Figment with Sorcerer Mickey adding his magical touch to the then-new Imagination Pavilion.

Promotional photo of Dreamfinder & Figment posing inside the famous Rainbow Corridor in the original 'Playground of the Future', the Image Works.

And finally, Dreamfinder & Figment's most recent appearance....at the D23 Expo in 2013 to honor their friend, Tony Baxter during the 'Disney Legends' ceremony. A fantastic moment, indeed.
He also appeared for a short Meet & Greet which fans were able to experience later on.

Last edited:

brb1006

Completely agree, but totally understandable when you consider it was likely brainstormed by folks who did'nt fully understand WHY the 'Original' worked so well.
They probably were not even aware of there being a earlier, better version of the JII Attraction or a 'different' Figment for all we know.

It makes a difference when you know your history, and fans would be surprised to learn that a awful lot of people working for the Company today in high positions have very little awareness of their own past.

*Figzilla* was probably put together by people tasked with creating more Meet & Greet experiences, which there seems a great demand for by today's casual visiting Guests.
A costumed version was the more straightforward way to go.

I think most people who are familiar with this character were expecting something a little more pint-sized...something that mirrored the child sized and kid-friendly version of yore.

These two photos sum it up perfectly -

Dreamfinder and his little buddy Figment greet a child in the mid- 80s -

'Figzilla' greets a child in the mid-2000s -

'Figzilla' looks like he is about to grab her and have a light snack.....!
:eek:
Seeing the 2000's version of Figment meeting a girl and I'm trying to resist singing the "I Love You" song from Barney.

brb1006

Here are some personal favorites from my collection -

Early promotional photo of a alternative Dreamfinder with a prototype 'fabric flocked' version of the Figment carry around.

DreamfinderwithearlyFigmentpuppet_zpsd8170af9.jpg

Fabulous promotional photo showing the two characters, as a photographer grabs a shot from outside the monorail window in the background -

Another publicity photo of Dreamfinder & Figment with Sorcerer Mickey adding his magical touch to the then-new Imagination Pavilion.

Promotional photo of Dreamfinder & Figment posing inside the famous Rainbow Corridor in the original 'Playground of the Future', the Image Works.

And finally, Dreamfinder & Figment's most recent appearance....at the D23 Expo in 2013 to honor their friend, Tony Baxter during the 'Disney Legends' ceremony. A fantastic moment, indeed.
This pic is from a short Meet & Greet fans were able to experience later on.

Seeing this video of Figment and Dreamfinder for WDW's Christmas Parade back in 84 made me smile.

Figments Friend

You guys know Marvel is making a sequel Figment series that debuts in October I think right?

Yes, September the 2nd Series of the 'Figment' comic will hit the stands.
Fans are pretty pumped....not to mention some other folks closely connected to these beloved characters from waaay back....
;)

Cover artwork for the 1st issue in the second series -

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom