A Spirited Perfect Ten

WDW1974

Original Poster
My guess is that some of the $800 might be allocated for the minor expansion build-outs seen in the Expanded Plan (minus Toy Story), but the vast majority is due to excessive over-runs. Rather than raise red flags or insult the Chinese partners by pointing to their shoddy workmanship, Iger said all the $800 was for additional park content.

Except it is lying. Lying to your shareholders. Lying to your employees. Lying to the press.

Wanting your Chinese partners to 'save face' doesn't make lying OK at all ... oh, and points to all of the issues in this very troubled relationship that I have been talking about here for years.

spacemt354

Chili's
The persistent questioning of the validity of Spirit's posts and the obvious annoyance at his answers really makes me question the motivation of some posters here. If you don't care for what he's saying, then why read them? Life is too short.
That's what I said a while ago but I was told that type of thinking was absurd...

That's why common sense has no place on an internet forum.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Normal people don't even know Disney is building a park in Shanghai.

I've been trying to catch up on this thread. I was out of town for a week, came back to find myself 100 pages behind, and spent the last 5 days skimming through to catch up. A few random comments:

To those of you who think that Bob's low key presence in Shanghai or lack of photos and characters is simply par for the course and how business is done, you would be wrong. China is very much about ceremony and appearances. No one is saying he should act like a big swinging d__k and go in with guns a blazin'. But the way the relationship between these two joint venture partners is unfolding is not normal and not healthy. That doesn't mean the park will be a failure, just that it is very obvious that this is China's park.

As far as global castle parks go, it's a tough call. I've been to all of them and the only thing I think I would agree on is that the WDW MK is indeed last. DL just has such a different vibe, has a great roster of attractions, is currently undergoing plus sing everywhere. I'd personally put it first. TDL is what WDW MK should be. Paris is just so gorgeous in design that it's easy to overlook the flaws. And HKDL is so relaxing and with the latest adds and those soon to come has great potential. I go back and forth in ranking the middle three (usually coincides with my latest trip).

You have to understand something: with a small minority here, your opinion doesn't matter at all. All your years of doing business in China, making friends, learning the ins and outs of the culture as much as you can. You are wrong. Nope, the minority who won't ever come within 5,000 miles minimum of China in their lives and think the Chinese chicken salad they had at Friday's is what you eat over there (just with dog instead of chicken!) they know better. They know better than you. They know better than the few others here who also have that experience, most especially me.

Sometimes this place still reminds me of 2008 when it appeared that 88% of all people here got their news exclusively from FOX and believed it as much as they did in the Bible.

the.dreamfinder

For you journalists reading this thread, there are at least six stories about Shanghai Disney Resort
  1. The breakdown in Disney's relationship with its Chinese partners
  2. Graft
  3. Lying about the true intention of the $800 million investment (rebuilding shoddy construction)
  4. Michael Crawford's abrupt flight from his role as GM of the resort to the Four Seasons in Singapore
  5. The lack of BRAND attachment among the Chinese people to Disney
  6. Bob Iger asking Willow Bay to pull an Op-Ed critical of his China strategy from HuffPost

lazyboy97o

The persistent questioning of the validity of Spirit's posts and the obvious annoyance at his answers really makes me question the motivation of some posters here. If you don't care for what he's saying, then why read them? Life is too short.
That's what I said a while ago but I was told that type of thinking was absurd...

That's why common sense has no place on an internet forum.
There is nothing common sense about deliberately shutting out ideas. This whole notion is built on the false premise of a pre-assumed opposition, not an ongoing questioning of information related to a topic of interest.

Last edited:

Milk Crate

Now, I see the inevitable 'new' members. You almost can't keep track of them without nametags. It's summer and I guess they're not over vacationing in Europe or even drinking at Trader Sam's Grog Grotto. They have nothing better to do than try and figure out how many posts I've made in the last decade.

I'm the only one who's commented on your post count. Are you implying that figuring out your average posts per day was some mathematical feat? If so, I'll take it!

If you think I have some vested interest in this thread, you're not as smart as I thought.

So you think the thread is moving too fast? Because of people arguing not because it's allowed to go off topic? K.

Provocateur, Rancanteur, Plaisanter, du Jour
For you journalists reading this thread, there are at least six stories about Shanghai Disney Resort
  2. Graft
  3. Lying about the true intention of the $800 million investment (rebuilding shoddy construction)
  4. Michael Crawford's abrupt flight from his role as GM of the resort to the Four Seasons in Singapore
  6. Bob Iger asking Willow Bay to pull an Op-Ed critical of his China strategy from HuffPost

Uncle Bob and Aunt Kristine work together very well... They are the definition of synergy...

*1023*

lazyboy97o

2. Graft
1. Control over the LDI would be indicative of a strong relationship.
2. This is supposedly not a story.
3. No more lying than any other figures Disney puts out in regards to the parks.
4. Disney executives shuffling around isn't surprising on its own.
5. This is hypocrisy at its finest. We all whine about the obsession with branding in the US.
6. Probably the closest any of this is to a scandal but the continued passage of time hurts its validity.

At best we've got Disney thinking they could pull of an American style store opening without getting it through all of the proper channels.

AEfx

Hey man, I gotta tell ya - I am totally satisfied with the answers that were just given. Answered every question I had about this current situation.

I'm sure reporters get several calls a day from people who say they have a big story, they get them on the phone, the person claims they are just "natural skeptics" (no personal interest or investment at all!) and then when asked for sources from someone wanting to be a source, refuse to give them up and expect the reporter to take it at face value.

My motivation was for the truth, and we just got it. Until the next alleged scandal, I've got what I was looking for.

WDW1974

Original Poster
I know. It's just that some of us want to read/discuss the news without all the other stuff. Lots of interesting information in here gets lost in the noise sometimes. Maybe separate threads for Corporate gossip, China, Disney PR/Media control etc, would be more prudent and easier to manage?

What would be easier would be if the same three people (one who is absolutely manic and I worry might be having an episode) who keep repeating the same pablum to discredit me, would simply go and start a thread. This thread is supposed to be a media/Disney/entertainment 'catch-all'. ... But, yes, sadly many great posts (not all by me!) go totally missed sometimes because people are waiting to jump on one of my posts about The Weatherman or Disney fumbling its entry to China or the lack of ethics and morals of Bob and his wife ...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom