A Spirited Perfect Ten

FigmentJedi

Disney has a huge arsenal of family friendly IPs while Universal truly if you look at all the IPs they actually own have one which is the Minions. Most of the original IPs in their parks are based off PG-13 movies which some parents wont let their young children watch.
They also have access to Laika's film library, but beyond walkarounds for film releases, they ignore them entirely.

FigmentJedi

Honestly I have no problem with it. Correct, it's not my cup of tea, but if it's popular (and it seems to be based on everyone jumping on my back about it), then more power to them. My problem is more with the hypocrisy of posters in this forum than with anything Universal or Disney are doing. It's different standards. I posted this in the Nintendo-specific thread, but we see people bashing Avatar, Frozen, or even Star Wars with arguments like "Disney should focus on original ideas instead of rushing to capitalize on the latest IP." But when Universal does Potter, Kong, Transformers, or Nintendo, it's "HOORAY FOR UNIVERSAL! Look at their awesome ability to capitalize on popular IP!"
Except Universal has always been an IP focused park. Their freaking slogan was "Ride the Movies" and Islands of Adventure doesn't really have a unifying theme beyond the literature idea people like me projected onto it.

It's different with Disney because their parks were always a blend of IP and OC material and even OC stuff like Jungle Cruise leans heavily on IP like the nature documentaries.

DDLand

It isn't.
It's going to be a capacity vs. demand nightmare.
Reason #307 why the whole thing is a very questionable endeavor.
It's almost as if they're betting this is just a fad and in a few months it will all be over. With Frozen 2 on the horizon, I don't think they're making the right call.

PhotoDave219

Huge win, and I would count this as the second "one that got away" from Disney,
after Potter. The Nintendo characters have been loved by my kids for many years
all the way into adulthood, and they have cross-generational appeal if handled
properly. I always thought of Mario as "Nintendo's Mickey", because he is likeable,
capable, and sort of a blank slate that people can see themselves as. An everyman.

Pikachu and Pokemon seem to be going on. I mean, my oldest is a Junior in college
and his sports teams chant the Pokemon songs, and use them as drinking games. I suspect
they'll be remembering the IP for years to come, as well. It's been a huge part
of their childhood, and the newer games still have appeal.

I dont see it that way at all. Hate to throw the blue shell here, but while cool it is aimed at kids. So I hardly see in-park drinking games as a thing that will happen. (I mean, who hasnt played Mario Kart while drinking, amiright?!) Granted they're going to the the College Program kids and the adults who go to Player One and Captain Nintendo cosplayers, but I don't see this as a property taht could drive their core business the way Potter did. I don't see how its close.

Yes the characters are cool, but I really don't see how this is a property Disney would have wanted whatsoever. Dare I say that this is a reaction by Universal to Disney's Frozen.

I don't see Universal using them in the way youre describing. I see this (as @Lee said) as strictly Kidzone fodder. (Kidzone is that part of HHN where you ask @71jason "where the hell is this house!?!?") Alas I digress.

So.... remember folks. More people going to Universal means more people buying Marvel merchandise which means more money for the Mouse. Its a complex, complicated world and everyone's getting a percentage.

Maelstrom had an OHRC of 900 per hour, and they are keeping the same ride system for the new Frozen attraction.

Ride systems don't mean anything in regards to capacity. Dispatch intervals do though...

Does anyone HONESTLY think that Frozen's capacity will have any affect on the queue times? Can someone tell me, with a straight face, that Frozen wouldn't have a 150 minute queue even if they doubled or tripled the capacity? It's going to be a 2-3-4 hour queue regardless of the capacity. If guests are going to pitch a fit over a 150 minute queue, who cares what the capacity is going to be- it's still going to be a 150 minute queue. Frozen is going to accommodate most guests per day than Toy Story Mania will even after they expand it. Radiator Springs Racers still has a huge line years later and it's got decent capacity.

Besides, if Frozen truly is a "passing fad" like so many Disney fans desperately want to occur (for some insane reason), then perhaps the ride doesn't need a massive capacity.;)

Little Mermaid is an overbuilt elaborate queue for a C/D ticket Fantasyland dark ride that has monster capacity, so the queue times fluctuate between short and reasonable. Because of that, some say that Disney wasted too much money on the queue/facades/capacity comparative to the sort of ride it is. Since Frozen is intended to be in the same vein as Mermaid in terms of quality (thought projections are going to be amazing), then I guess those people are going to get their wish.

Seriously, I'd bet that "Maelstrom: Featuring Olaf from Frozen" and a single static Olaf character at the end would garner a 4 hour queue.

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
If that happens your longest line will be Frozen and 2nd longest line will be guest relations as people complain about not getting on the ride.
How many people are at guest relations complaining about 120 minute waits for Mine Train? None?

You want as many people experiencing a popular IP and a slow loader makes sure fewer people are able to do so.
I disagree, and I break with @Lee on this one as well. Frozestrom is not a "guest experience" play for the sake of Frozen fans. It's a "guest experience" play at the expense of Frozen fans. The queue is a giant pen that they're going to stuff as many little princesses into as they possibly can. It's not about making sure that as many people as possible get to experience a Frozen attraction, it's about essentially trapping all of the Frozen-obsessed people in one place so that the non-Frozen-obsessed people can experience Fantasyland in comparative peace and quiet (yes, that's an exaggeration). This will alleviate standby demand on all Fantasyland attractions and FP+ demand on Pan, Pooh, Mine Train, and the Mountains.

PhotoDave219

Understanding the strategy and believing it will work are two different things. I "get the strategy" that New Fantasyland was supposed to help congestion problems in the Magic Kingdom. It didn't.

It just added to them. It would have relieved congestion if the additional capacity wasn't immediately taken up by new guests or immediately needed. 50k/day people is a lot of darn people to cram into a theme park.

PhotoDave219

Nintendo is a good move for Universal no doubt about it Mario has stood the test of time. Pokemon also has proven its staying power. Legends of Zelda only true gamers are nuts about that... Donkey Kong is still awesome.

It is a good addition for them so everyone just stop bashing it.... Difference between the two companies again is Universal need the kids friendly characters to draw the young families. Disney does not. And if I was going to be honest the 2-7 market still this is not in their wheel house yet.

Oh its a great move for them.

Its just NOT "the one that got away".....

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
Ride systems don't mean anything in regards to capacity. Dispatch intervals do though...

Does anyone HONESTLY think that Frozen's capacity will have any affect on the queue times? Can someone tell me, with a straight face, that Frozen wouldn't have a 150 minute queue even if they doubled or tripled the capacity? It's going to be a 2-3-4 hour queue regardless of the capacity. If guests are going to pitch a fit over a 150 minute queue, who cares what the capacity is going to be- it's still going to be a 150 minute queue. Frozen is going to accommodate most guests per day than Toy Story Mania will even after they expand it. Radiator Springs Racers still has a huge line years later and it's got decent capacity.

Besides, if Frozen truly is a "passing fad" like so many Disney fans desperately want to occur (for some insane reason), then perhaps the ride doesn't need a massive capacity.;)

Little Mermaid is an overbuilt elaborate queue for a C/D ticket Fantasyland dark ride that has monster capacity, so the queue times fluctuate between short and reasonable. Because of that, some say that Disney wasted too much money on the queue/facades/capacity comparative to the sort of ride it is. Since Frozen is intended to be in the same vein as Mermaid in terms of quality (thought projections are going to be amazing), then I guess those people are going to get their wish.

Seriously, I'd bet that "Maelstrom: Featuring Olaf from Frozen" and a single static Olaf character at the end would garner a 4 hour queue.
What I derived from that post is that you basically have no evidence to back up your claim of the alleged capacity increase the attraction will have. Simply saying "dispatch intervals" proves nothing.

hopemax

More Major Uni news (Just mentioning it here, there are already other threads about it):

http://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20150507005307/en/Nintendo-Partners-Universal-Parks-Resorts-Create-World’s#.VUtVQJNu6wk

"Nintendo Partners with Universal Parks & Resorts to Create World’s First-Ever Theme Park Attractions Based on Nintendo’s Beloved Games and Characters"

Interesting, and a good choice, IMO. The more time I spend at Universal vs WDW, the major difference I see is in the IP's. 50 years of Princesses, and 80+ years of Mickey is hard to walk away from. As disappointed as I feel at times, watching Mickey wave on a parade float just grabs you. But Mario and crew can invoke a lot of pleasant childhood memories hanging out with friends, just trying to complete levels before Mom says it's time for dinner and put that game away (at least that's what I hear from my husband). I think it's strong enough among today's parents, especially if they come up with some neat tricks to really get you into a video game world.

The so called "arrested development"...uh uh, those people still got married, have kids, working in the IT world somewhere, making decent salaries.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
How many people are at guest relations complaining about 120 minute waits for Mine Train? None?
But Mine Train has 50% more capacity than Maelstrom did. Lines may be significantly longer than even Mine Train.

So now you are changing the story and the capacity won't be much more, but it doesn't matter anyway? I'm having a hard time following the logic.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom