Harry Potter
Dr Seuss
Twister (they have distribution)
E.T.
The Simpsons
Terminator
Barney & Friends
Fievel

Adding Nintendo is a perfect fit. Even if people think a bit "stale"- most of those properties that Universal has at their parks are already what I'd consider "stale" so it's not really a huge deal. Besides, 3DS still dominates handhelds and the "classic" characters have a following akin to Disney at this point. Adding Nintendo would to wonders for that thing they claim is a parade too. :)

Does anyone know if this included Pokemon? I know it's not under Nintendo's official umbrella but that would be an absolute SMASH for Universal to have stuff like meet & greets with Pikachu!

Funmeister

I'm going to say right off the bat kids have been moving away from Nintendo. iOS and Android on mobile, and Xbox and Play Station on console have slammed them hard. This is all happening as PC gaming is coming into greater use then ever before. Quite frankly, Universal would've been better off making a deal with Microsoft to get Mojang. Minecraft is the landmark video game for kids of today.

It also just happens to be available on every console and mobile device expect Nintendo. (Okay, and BB10)

I think you spoke a little too soon.

http://venturebeat.com/2015/03/17/n...e-that-will-change-the-entire-games-industry/

DDLand

They missed the wave. They could've dominated had they moved quickly enough. We still don't know how this will turn out, and whether the kids of today that have been raised playing Minecraft, Angry Birds, and Clash of Clans will be receptive to this move. It could very well be it sells well to millions of nostalgic older fans. That still doesn't help reach out to kids which is their goal with this move.

Ironically the article is essentially them admitting defeat to a whole class of superior technologies. They blew it, and now they're playing catch up. The jury is still out.

Quinnmac000

IP's that Universal doesn't own in their theme parks:
Marvel
Popeye
Dudley Do-RIght
Jurassic Park (they have distribution)
Harry Potter
Dr Seuss
Twister (they have distribution)
E.T.
The Simpsons
Terminator
Barney & Friends
Fievel

Adding Nintendo is a perfect fit. Even if people think a bit "stale"- most of those properties that Universal has at their parks are already what I'd consider "stale" so it's not really a huge deal. Besides, 3DS still dominates handhelds and the "classic" characters have a following akin to Disney at this point. Adding Nintendo would to wonders for that thing they claim is a parade too. :)

Does anyone know if this included Pokemon? I know it's not under Nintendo's official umbrella but that would be an absolute SMASH for Universal to have stuff like meet & greets with Pikachu!

Nintendo owns Pokemon's parent company which was created due to the fact it is so vast from cards, anime, games, and books.

gmajew

Premium Member
So since you "get the strategy behind it" then you agree that Nintendo is still relevant?

Nintendo is a good move for Universal no doubt about it Mario has stood the test of time. Pokemon also has proven its staying power. Legends of Zelda only true gamers are nuts about that... Donkey Kong is still awesome.

It is a good addition for them so everyone just stop bashing it.... Difference between the two companies again is Universal need the kids friendly characters to draw the young families. Disney does not. And if I was going to be honest the 2-7 market still this is not in their wheel house yet.

Funmeister

They missed the wave. They could've dominated had they moved quickly enough. We still don't know how this will turn out, and whether the kids of today that have been raised playing Minecraft, Angry Birds, and Clash of Clans will be receptive to this move. It could very well be it sells well to millions of nostalgic older fans. That still doesn't help reach out to kids which is their goal with this move.

Ironically the article is essentially them admitting defeat to a whole class of superior technologies. They blew it, and now they're playing catch up. The jury is still out.

Missed the wave? In today's technology arena it is never too late. Those kids "raised" playing Minecraft were also raised on MarioKart and Super Smash Bros.

More kids and families have been exposed to Nintendo properties than Minecraft, Angry Birds and Clash of Clans put together. You cannot deny that fact. Also, if it appeals to nostalgia (which it reaches beyond its historical ip) then so be it. Nostalgia is Disney's bread and butter. Remember (the Magic)?

Funmeister

man you re taking this hard that he doesn't like Nintendo...who cares...you don't like avatar...who cares

Actually I could care less either way. I do not dislike Avatar just using it as an example.

I am not taking it hard that he dislikes Nintendo. Just trying to help educate him that Nintendo is bigger than he realizes and he shouldn't make judgmental comments about other peoples excitement based on his personal opinion. Plus is it not ok to debate on here? Did I miss that on the terms and conditions page?

I love that people think the Frozen ride's going to have the same capacity as before... It'll be above where the other two most popular rides in the park are right now (though that will change when once Soarin gets it's new theater). I get the concerns about putting the ride into Norway and ruining World Showcase or whatever, but lots of Disney's flashy rides around the globe have a capacity under 1600 an hour, which is what Frozen will do which it opens. Just off the top of my head- Honey Hunt, Mystic Manor, Ratatouille, Journey to the Center of the Earth, Monsters Inc Hide and Go Seek all have big lines day in and day out and don't exceed about 1600 an hour on a regular basis. Really, Frozen could do 2,500 an hour and it's still going to sell out of fastpasses 60 days in advance and it's still going to have a 150-180 minute standby.

DDLand

Missed the wave? In today's technology arena it is never too late. Those kids "raised" playing Minecraft were also raised on MarioKart and Super Smash Bros.
This is exactly the problem. They weren't "raised" on MarioKart. They love new games, and have no emotional connection to these works. Instead of working to foster the relationships with them, they focused on closed proprietary systems that made it inaccessible to millions. Micheal Eisner always said content is an evergreen, and the delivery mechanism can be blown away. Nintendo had an evergreen, and essentially chopped it down for the sake of their consoles. The strategy has backfired leaving them with not only a broken hardware business but also a shattered software business.

More kids and families have been exposed to Nintendo properties than Minecraft, Angry Birds and Clash of Clans put together. You cannot deny that fact. Also, if it appeals to nostalgia (which it reaches beyond its historical ip) then so be it. Nostalgia is Disney's bread and butter. Remember (the Magic)?
Yeah, but sales continue to be a shadow of their former selves. 10s of millions have been exposed to Minecraft, and if you're a significant other of younger kids you know what gets talked about. It's not Nintendo.

The difference is Disney has worked to keep their brands timeless. Everyone still knows Snow White and Cinderella decades on. Nintendo (and the market Universal) is targeting kids, and they don't care about Nintendo anymore.

EPCOTCenterLover

I love that people think the Frozen ride's going to have the same capacity as before... It'll be above where the other two most popular rides in the park are right now (though that will change when once Soarin gets it's new theater). I get the concerns about putting the ride into Norway and ruining World Showcase or whatever, but lots of Disney's flashy rides around the globe have a capacity under 1600 an hour, which is what Frozen will do which it opens. Just off the top of my head- Honey Hunt, Mystic Manor, Ratatouille, Journey to the Center of the Earth, Monsters Inc Hide and Go Seek all have big lines day in and day out and don't exceed about 1600 an hour on a regular basis. Really, Frozen could do 2,500 an hour and it's still going to sell out of fastpasses 60 days in advance and it's still going to have a 150-180 minute standby.
The new strategy of keeping Headliner attractions having 2-3 hours waits is counter productive. Guests will leave the park with frustration and vow not to come back. Bad word of mouth. Trading off short term financial goals for long term continued cash inflow.

Lee

Adventurer
I love that people think the Frozen ride's going to have the same capacity as before...
Not sure why it wouldn't be the same, or very close...

Really, Frozen could do 2,500 an hour and it's still going to sell out of fastpasses 60 days in advance and it's still going to have a 150-180 minute standby.
Then now might be a good time to hire some help for the staff at Guest Relations...

Travel Junkie

Frozen is exactly what you want in a low capacity attraction when "crowd control" is your goal. Keeping the queue stuffed with princesses keeps the princesses out of the walkways.

If that happens your longest line will be Frozen and 2nd longest line will be guest relations as people complain about not getting on the ride. You want as many people experiencing a popular IP and a slow loader makes sure fewer people are able to do so.

Mr. Peabody

Maelstrom had an OHRC of 900 per hour, and they are keeping the same ride system for the new Frozen attraction.

Iwerks64

Doing HKDL? If so, feel free to drop back with observations/thoughts/musings ... see how many Chinese folks are singing Hakuna Matata!

I'll probably pop over to HKDL on Sunday. I've been a half dozen times since they opened. I spend a lot of time in Hong Kong for business and have done all the touristy things over the years. If I don't have the energy to go into the office on Sunday, I'll go to HKDL. It's an easy trip from Kowloon and inexpensive. And after a week or two on the mainland, a taste of (semi) western culture is a refreshing break. ;)

GoofGoof

Premium Member
How are they going to increase capacity significantly? The ride system is the same and the show building isn't expanding. The only change seems to be with load/unload but will that really add significant capacity?

Soarin is 1,600 and Test Track 1,200 so you are saying the capacity will go from 900 to over 1,600 with the change to Frozen. Sorry, I'm not buying it. It would be great if that was true, but it doesn't seem possible.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom